1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    11 Jan '22 17:03
    @divegeester said
    Conflating these issues might make you feel better about him being a prick but it is in fact Ian irrelevancy.
    Please don't call Ian irrelevant.

Regards,
    Ian's dad.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '22 11:001 edit
    And so Australia slips further into covid fascism.

I suppose that’s what you get when you put a homophobic hard right winger like Alex Hawke in charge of immigration.
  3. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    14 Jan '22 11:15
    @divegeester said

I suppose that’s what you get when you put a homophobic hard right winger like Alex Hawke in charge of immigration.
    If Hawke wanted to keep his well-paid job, he didn't have a choice. ScoMo is a populist PM and his position a few weeks out from an election is looking pretty shaky. It's nothing to do with covid or tennis.
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '22 11:26
    @divegeester said

The day after they did the draw 😂
  5. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    14 Jan '22 12:33
    @divegeester said

It's not about the vaccine. AIUI there are several other unvaccinated players, but none of those lied on their visa application. Djoko thought he's above the law, but he underestimated how (notoriously) seriously Australia rakes its border controls
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    14 Jan '22 12:50
    @shallow-blue said
    It's not about the vaccine. AIUI there are several other unvaccinated players, but none of those lied on their visa application. Djoko thought he's above the law, but he underestimated how (notoriously) seriously Australia rakes its border controls
    How big are their rakes? 😲
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '22 13:03
    @kewpie said
    If Hawke wanted to keep his well-paid job, he didn't have a choice. ScoMo is a populist PM and his position a few weeks out from an election is looking pretty shaky. It's nothing to do with covid or tennis.
    Agree completely.
    What a shocking precedent to set though. What an arse.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '22 13:03
    @shallow-blue said
    What did he lie about?
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    14 Jan '22 15:431 edit
    Is this still be discussed?

Sorry, I haven't been following closely, will have to get caught up.

-VR
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Jan '22 10:171 edit
    So he’s being deported.

Could someone please explain specifically, what for?
    Thank you.

Ps please refrain from the earlier silly assertions such as:
    - he’s a prick
    - he’s rich
    - he’s a rich prick
    - he broke restriction rules at an event in another country

As I understood it he is being deported because he is unvaccinated, is that correct?

If he has broken a rule then what is it, I’ve obviously missed something here.
  11. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    16 Jan '22 11:332 edits
    This is a private citizen's understanding of the rules, don't hold me responsible for anything that I say here.

An Australian citizen returning home can't get past immigration unless he/she:
    1. has had 2 shots of an approved vaccine, or a medical exemption on very narrow specific grounds.
    2. has not been in any of a specific list of countries in the last 14 days.
    3. has not made any inaccurate statements on the visa application.
    4. has arranged for 14 days quarantine in a suitable facility.

The list of countries in (2) changes over time, but most of the ones currently on it either have high infection rates or low vaccination rates.
    That clause is the reason that we have postponed our own overseas trip, because we can't be sure that we can get back home under these rules. If I was an international tourist I wouldn't be coming to Australia in 2022.

In regards to the specific case of Novak Djokovic:
    I believe they've used clause 3, because his paperwork is apparently loaded with inconsistencies and inaccuracies. Clauses 1 & 2 are inconclusive and clause 4 was taken care of.
    I also believe that he may have got away with it, but for the widespread public resentment that there seems to be about one rule for the rich and powerful and another for ordinary folk. Elections are due in a few weeks and the current weak government is looking very shaky, just like Boris, for covid mismanagement. Hawke would have been told by the PM to use the reasons he gave for his decision, but they're meaningless. Anti-vaxxers are pretty rare here and at 93% double-vaxed they're irrelevant now.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Jan '22 12:07
    @kewpie said
    This is a private citizen's understanding of the rules, don't hold me responsible for anything that I say here.

An Australian citizen returning home can't get past immigration unless he/she:
    1. has had 2 shots of an approved vaccine, or a medical exemption on very narrow specific grounds.
    2. has not been in any of a specific list of countries in the last 14 days.
    3. has ...[text shortened]... eks and the current weak government is looking very shaky, just like Boris, for covid mismanagement.
    Thank you kewpie.

If his agent (it probably was his agent working with his approval) omitted red list counties from his visa then it is entirely his own fault.
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    16 Jan '22 12:30
    @divegeester

I've been a bit surprised by the level of disapproval I've observed among the locals. But I guess we're all a bit Covid-frayed, after all the lockdowns and hardships, and now the restrictions have finally been eased Omicron's just exploded here. I don't think many of us are thinking too clearly.
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    30 Jan '22 14:44
    21 Rafa Nadal 😁
  15. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    30 Jan '22 14:52
    @trev33 said
    21 Rafa Nadal 😁
    First time I've ever watched 3 Grand Slam finals, and every one of them was a great spectacle. The whole crowd was screaming for Rafa who must have been feeding off the crowd energy, because he wasn't himself physically and struggled in the early part. Medvedev was a worthy opponent, just not quite there yet.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree