1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Apr '19 11:44
    So the feud between Hollywood and Netflix rages on with Helen Mirren now saying “f*** Netflix” on stage in Vegas.

Is this just movie star snobbery of is there a legitimate case for not including made of TV movies in the awards?
  2. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    04 Apr '19 13:011 edit
    @divegeester said
    So the feud between Hollywood and Netflix rages on with Helen Mirren now saying “f*** Netflix” on stage in Vegas.

Is this just movie star snobbery of is there a legitimate case for not including made of TV movies in the awards?
    A changing of the technological guard, exacerbated by commercial rivalry. There's a lot of loot on the line. The theater/film industry stands to lose billions in future: So, they're kicking and screaming.

Personally, I'm no longer interested in paying $13 for a ticket to see unoriginal, simplistic comic book characters on the big screen. I don't know, sitting captive on contaminated furniture bordered by inconsiderate neighbors noisily crunching on their $9 bags of popcorn has somehow lost its appeal.

Silent film stars once bad mouthed the "talkies" in a similar fashion.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    04 Apr '19 13:131 edit
    @divegeester said

Netflix should say the same to the Oscars.

Are we really thinking that they are meaningful? They have been devised as PR-gag and can be buried as such.

Edit: typos...
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Apr '19 13:31
    @wolfe63 said
    A changing of the technological guard, exacerbated by commercial rivalry. There's a lot of loot on the line. The theater/film industry stands to lose billions in future: So, they're kicking and screaming.

Personally, I'm no longer interested in paying $13 for a ticket to see unoriginal, simplistic comic book characters on the big screen. I don't know, sitting captive on co ...[text shortened]... s somehow lost its appeal.

Silent film stars once bad mouthed the "talkies" in a similar fashion.
    I’m with you on this. Haven’t been to the cinema in ages.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Apr '19 13:33
    @ponderable said
    Netflix should say the same yout the Oscars.

Are we really thinking that they are meaningful? They ahve been devised as PR-gag and can be buried as such.
    Agreed.

But should Netflix movies be included in the Oscars? I say yes of course, it’s a movie.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    06 Apr '19 09:01
    @divegeester said
    Agreed.

But should Netflix movies be included in the Oscars? I say yes of course, it’s a movie.
    Sure but the Oscars are a load of pompous $hite anyway, so I don't think they'll mind not to be included.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Apr '19 10:29
    @divegeester said
    Agreed.

It's really up to the people giving the awards.

"There should be" a Nobel prize for Math but there isn't.

"There should be" an Olympic egg and spoon race. ...
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '19 07:27
    @wolfgang59 said
    It's really up to the people giving the awards.
    Yes of course it is, that is undisputed. Likewise I’m sure that if the people giving out the Nobel awards deemed maths a worthwhile entrant to the process then it would be included.

However my question in the OP is intended to prompt discussion about the artistic nature of creating films for TV versus movies for cinema and examine the apparent sneering institutionalised snobbery associated with the established Hollywood in-group.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Apr '19 07:31
    @trev33 said
    Sure but the Oscars are a load of pompous $hite anyway, so I don't think they'll mind not to be included.
    Netflix movies are included in the Oscars awards in fact they made history by gaining their first nomination for ‘Roma’ I believe.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree