1. Standard memberpawnpaw
    Please Pay Attention
    Lethabong
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 09:44
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/08/entertainment/miss-universe-2019-trnd/index.html
  2. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 12:44
    For four days in 2018, Veronika Didusenko was hailed as Ukraine’s most beautiful woman.

But it wasn’t quite as simple as that. When the organizers of the Miss Ukraine competition found out that she was divorced and had a son, they stripped her of the title — and the $12,000 prize money — saying she had broken the rules.

Now Ms. Didusenko, 24, is suing the Miss World organization, with which the Ukrainian competition is affiliated, saying that the entry requirements — including that contestants be unmarried and childless — are a form of discrimination.
    nytimes.com

A similar thing happened to Helen Morgan, a Miss Wales competitor in 1974. She thought she could keep her 18 month old son a secret then realised she couldn’t.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 14:19
    ...the contest alone gives me a shudder. There are beautiful people, but what is the most beautiful? There is no objective criterion. For me my wife is the most beautiful (all in all)

I can't understand about the criterion of motherhood. If a woman who is a mother can outshine the non-mothers, where is the problem?
  4. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 15:43
    @ponderable said
    ...the contest alone gives me a shudder. There are beautiful people, but what is the most beautiful? There is no objective criterion. For me my wife is the most beautiful (all in all)

I can't understand about the criterion of motherhood. If a woman who is a mother can outshine the non-mothers, where is the problem?
    It’s all pretty dated and for once the UK beat the USA on this silly idea with Miss World starting in 1951 then Miss Universe in 1952.
  5. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 16:11
    Shallow contest.
    Shallow people.
    The same with the epidemic of talent shows on TV.

Providing entertainment for idiots is fine. But, it shouldn't be to the exclusion of programming of substance.

The "dumbing down" continues.
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 16:20
    @ponderable said

You do know the old saying: "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder".

-VR
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 20:04
    it wasn’t quite as simple as that. When the organizers of the Miss Ukraine competition found out that she was divorced and had a son, they stripped her of the title — and the $12,000 prize money — saying she had broken the rules.
    The rules are dumb, the competition is dumb.
    But rules are rules.

Most competitions have eligibility criteria.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    09 Dec '19 22:23
    @wolfgang59 said
    But rules are rules.

Yet, here we have it they still try to break the rules, now want to fight it in the courts!

-VR
  9. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    13 Dec '19 10:05
    @wolfgang59 said
    But rules are rules.

Well the competition might be dumb but it seems it is worthwhile for the (succesful) contestants.
  10. Standard memberpawnpaw
    Please Pay Attention
    Lethabong
    Moves
    13 Dec '19 10:08
    I think the winner is wonderful.
    She's beautiful, and she's intelligent (gave the best last answer)
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Dec '19 16:33
    @drewnogal
    What's up with that? Miss UNIVERSE and someone from Earth wins EVERY time!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree