1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Jan '22 20:57
    @gambrel said
    I've a dear lady friend somewhere in Canada that got 5 feet of snow.
    What province was it in?

-VR
  2. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    17 Jan '22 21:10
    @very-rusty said
    What province was it in?

-VR
    Toronto, they're under a blizzard warning. I do think her 5 foot of snow was from drifting, but she did say she's unable to travel.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Jan '22 21:16
    @gambrel said
    Toronto, they're under a blizzard warning. I do think her 5 foot of snow was from drifting, but she did say she's unable to travel.
    Yes, they are really getting hit hard. I assume the 5 feet would be from drifting, still a lot of snow to shovel, or do with snow blower if they are fortunate enough to have one.

-VR
  4. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    17 Jan '22 21:19
    @very-rusty said
    Yes, they are really getting hit hard. I assume the 5 feet would be from drifting, still a lot of snow to shovel, or do with snow blower if they are fortunate enough to have one.

-VR
    I doubt she can shovel snow. She's an elderly disabled single living with her 90 year mum.
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Jan '22 21:371 edit
    @gambrel said
    I doubt she can shovel snow. She's an elderly disabled single living with her 90 year mum.
    Next option would be family or friends, or hire someone to do it.

I was her neighbor she wouldn't need to worry about it.

I just heard that storm going on in Ontario is heading our way. I am praying it goes out to sea. We still have people without power from last storm a few days ago. 25,000 lost power from what I understand.

-VR
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Jan '22 13:29
    @very-rusty said
    I just got back from my coffee run -17C. For those of you who want to figure how to convert. Formula (-17°C × 9/5) + 32 = 1.4°F.

Yup even I found that chilly. My gear shift was frozen a bit. I went to shift from Park to Drive and heard it grind. Worked it back and forth a few times, everything was ok. Tried the brakes before leaving as they can freeze up also.

That ...[text shortened]... s in the -40's range. Our windshield wash is only made for -40 -45. I hope it stays out west.

-VR
    Move outta the boonies.

Low here is in the low 40s.

We might get one or two nights in February below freezing, but that's it.

Of course I live inside a huge urban jungle concrete heat island, too, besides living in a desert. I don't even have a big coat, like a parka. Of course, this lets me bitch about how stinkin' hot it is in the summer.
  7. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    22 Jan '22 21:45
    @very-rusty said
    Next option would be family or friends, or hire someone to do it.

I was her neighbor she wouldn't need to worry about it.

I just heard that storm going on in Ontario is heading our way. I am praying it goes out to sea. We still have people without power from last storm a few days ago. 25,000 lost power from what I understand.

-VR
    My sympathies for those people. Down here in north Florida, if the power goes out it's a nuisance, but we are not so likely to freeze to death.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 Jan '22 21:571 edit
    @kevin-eleven said
    My sympathies for those people. Down here in north Florida, if the power goes out it's a nuisance, but we are not so likely to freeze to death.
    I believe sometimes the heat can be as bad the cold, especially if you happen to lose power you have no fans. I am sure the grid can get over loaded when everyone has their fans going.

suzianne was half right about me living in the boonies. I live next to a lake with lots of trees and wild life around but 5-10 minutes away from anything I might need. We do have a population of around 500,000 which would be half the population of the whole Province.

-VR
  9. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    22 Jan '22 21:57
    With global warming we'll call winter the good old days.
  10. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    22 Jan '22 22:46
    @gambrel said
    With global warming we'll call winter the good old days.
    At least until the next solar minimum. 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree