1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jan '19 15:19
    @ponderable said
    Just now there is an interesting debate going on about the IQ:

https://twitter.com/nntaleb
    But there are people like Terence Tao who clocked in at 225 or so and went into math and got the Fields medal. So maybe SOME high scores mean something.

High IQ really just means the brain of that person grew much greater than his or her years. The Tao's of the world are few and far between, that is to say super high IQ followed by real world inventiveness.

I once went to a Mensa party and found them telling each other 'my Phd this and my Phd that' and some guy making nitroglycerin, putting it in pills with BB's and throwing them against rocks and clapping hands when it goes boom.......
    You know, real worth while stuff......
  2. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    23 Jan '19 16:29
    @sonhouse said
    But there are people like Terence Tao who clocked in at 225 or so and went into math and got the Fields medal. So maybe SOME high scores mean something.

High IQ really just means the brain of that person grew much greater than his or her years. The Tao's of the world are few and far between, that is to say super high IQ followed by real world inventiveness.

I once we ...[text shortened]... em against rocks and clapping hands when it goes boom.......
    You know, real worth while stuff......
    ...he hasn't an IQ of 225 +-15
    He has taken an intelligence test with full score at Young Age and with the math yu get a number. As explained above in the Standard test 145 is the (meaningful) Limit.

O and People scoring high on IQ test are intelligent. That just doesn't mean that they are succesful in life. Of course some will be. But of most very high scorers you (and I ) have never heard.

I was at Mensa Meetings (I am a member) and met the same mix of personalities as in any Group. Personality is not a function of intelligenec nor is the intelligence a function of personality.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Jan '19 23:14
    @Ponderable

Yes indeed, if you are 3 years old and perform like a 6 year old, you are given an IQ number of 200. Of course that cannot hold up as adults, if he is now 30 years old it would be meaningless to say he performs like a 60 year old because he had an IQ number of 200 at age 3.
    High IQ numbers are for the very young and pretty meaningless in adults.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Jan '19 23:18
    @Ponderable

Yes indeed, if you are 3 years old and perform like a 6 year old, you are given an IQ number of 200. Of course that cannot hold up as adults, if he is now 30 years old it would be meaningless to say he performs like a 60 year old because he had an IQ number of 200 at age 3.
    High IQ numbers are for the very young and pretty meaningless in adults.

I went to a Mensa meeting at Don Slepian's house, he is a real genius in music.
    I older older Mensa members more engaging than the young ones.

I went to one meeting where a kid was playing guitar, obviously just learning and I, being somewhat of an expert on guitar, offered to give him some tips but he haughtily said very loudly NO. It is to his credit he wants to figure it out for himself but no matter what level of IQ you have, a teacher will advance you a lot further than doing it yourself. That is, unless you are Julian bream😉
    He did quite well without an Andres Segovia to teach him.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree