1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Jul '20 12:31
    Quite bizarrely, the only shop on our high street that remained opened continuously during lockdown was a Tupperware store (selling plastic containers and a selection of brooms). It inspired the following story:

Cockroaches, so I have been told, are the only living creatures that could survive a nuclear apocalypse, able to go long periods of time without sustenance while all life around them shrivelled and died. Who would have thought that on our local high street, the business equivalent of the cockroach would be the Tupperware store? For while all other shops closed down completely during the four months of lockdown (some never to return) it was the Tupperware shop alone that continued to trade, somehow able to survive without the sustenance of customers. Sellers of plastic containers, it seemed, were indestructible.

Other lockdown stories welcome.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jul '20 12:52
    Gill tightly clenched his toes and his fists as these seemed to him to be appropriately affirming additions to the foetal position his body had involuntarily assumed in deep dank darkness. He lay there permitting but not encouraging the chills to dance on his lower spine; their prosaic prickly pirouetting an unpleasant but welcome distraction from the withering winding withdrawal which ran its cruel fingers through his agonised bowels. In the near distance a fluttered glow teased his retinas as he squintingly peered through the stinging sweat stench...”lockdown’s a bitch when you’re coming down, ain’ it?” his fellow prisoner sneered.
  3. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    10 Jul '20 12:55
    @divegeester

might consider trigger warning
    this reminds me of me so accurately i've got chills
  4. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    10 Jul '20 13:04
    we have a newsstand that never closed because it sold snacks and toilet paper
  5. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    10 Jul '20 13:181 edit
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

I didn’t know this store still existed? Upon looking at their ranges I see the attraction during lockdown. In the same way that the supermarket shelves were stripped of flour and eggs, pasta and rice so were those hoarders baking lots of cakes and other recipes with children then storing them in their many Tupperware containers 😸

https://tupperwarequeen.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwo6D4BRDgARIsAA6uN1-yynN37mc5yviXsZIMBkSKsnMuU7DZPRSfZq1EJE_RJwwEUXBY2rMaAu2nEALw_wcB
  6. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    10 Jul '20 13:211 edit
    My ex began designing engine parts for classic motor bikes a few years ago. He’s built up lot of new customers during lockdown as people have the time to tinker about with them.
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    10 Jul '20 13:41
    We haven't had a lockdown of the kind that you have, but many businesses have closed down anyway, mainly those which sold articles that were supplied in many shops - e.g. clothes, interior design, toys, MacDonald. Some of them manage to continue with on-line sale. Restaurants focus on take-away food. There are many ideas how to survive this situation.
  8. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    10 Jul '20 14:25
    Through the back door take-a-way Indian from the local curry house.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Jul '20 14:46
    @hells-caretaker said
    Through the back door take-a-way Indian from the local curry house.
    most importantly our off licence remained open, although I only used it once

a day
  10. Gothenburg
    Moves
    10 Jul '20 16:38
    @badradger said
    most importantly our off licence remained open, although I only used it once

a day
    We have state owned shops for liquor and strong beer and they have no financial problems ever. They take their responsibility and make sure that customers keep the distance, and during busy hours, only a limited number of customers may be in the shop at the same time, the rest queueing outside with a distance.
  11. Joined
    28 Jul '07
    Moves
    10 Jul '20 16:44
    Planet of the Goats

For thousands of years man had ruined the earth. Rainforests were destroyed, cities polluted and the oceans were swimming in plastic. And then along came a virus and humans had to hide all day long with nothing to do but watch Big Bang Theory and eat biscuits. (Some savages became so desperate they concocted biscuit sandwiches!).
    'Remember the neolithics? ' sighed a goat. 'Those were the days. Before lego. But our time is coming. I've got it all sussed out. Kids 'r' us, JD Goats and McGruffs - I can't wait to bite into a juicy Big Grass. Better days are coming!'
  12. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    10 Jul '20 17:03
    @neilarini said
    Planet of the Goats

For thousands of years man had ruined the earth. Rainforests were destroyed, cities polluted and the oceans were swimming in plastic. And then along came a virus and humans had to hide all day long with nothing to do but watch Big Bang Theory and eat biscuits. (Some savages became so desperate they concocted biscuit sandwiches!).
    'Remember the ...[text shortened]... r' us, JD Goats and McGruffs - I can't wait to bite into a juicy Big Grass. Better days are coming!'
    😒I'm a little concerned now.
  13. Joined
    28 Jul '07
    Moves
    10 Jul '20 17:04
    @hells-caretaker said
    😒I'm a little concerned now.
    Goats are superior beings.
  14. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    10 Jul '20 17:24
    @neilarini said
    You may be at the epicentre of the goat thing. No sign of any goat activity by us as yet but I am now on the alert. Guards will be posted on the A55. Keep us informed.
  15. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Jul '20 18:05
    @neilarini said
    Are you kidding?

😴

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree