1. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    ๐Ÿค” Bolton
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 06:27
    If this gonna spoil yer day DON'T paste the link๐Ÿ˜’

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-oxfordshire-53526102/pc-harper-trial-widow-disappointed-with-manslaughter-verdict

๐Ÿšฌ
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 08:03
    @hells-caretaker said

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-oxfordshire-53526102/pc-harper-trial-widow-disappointed-with-manslaughter-verdict

๐Ÿšฌ
    The wife wanted revenge as we all would in similar circumstances.
    That is not the goal of the justice system.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 08:23
    Thank goodness the justice system is infallible and perpetrators always get what they deserve.
  4. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    ๐Ÿค” Bolton
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 09:121 edit
    @wolfgang59 said
    ๐Ÿคท‍โ™‚๏ธ Blind panic to get away from the scene? I don't know the sound of a person bouncing behind a vehicle lassoedd by a cable sounds like๐Ÿ˜’

The smiles.
    ๐Ÿ˜ˆ That image as they clamber into the van etc.

Plain wrong. [edit] NOT GOOD ENOUGH๐Ÿšฌ
  5. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 09:15
    @wolfgang59 said
    I don’t know the minutiae of this case but I guess it hinges on whether these thieves knew that they were towing a human being behind their car. As a car driver I find it hard to believe that on a quiet road in the dead of night you wouldn’t hear the screams or feel the drag on the steering.
    She’s asking for justice in terms of the trial, revenge would entail tying them to the back of a car and dragging them down the road.
  6. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 12:19
    @kevcvs57 said
    I don’t know the minutiae of this case but I guess it hinges on whether these thieves knew that they were towing a human being behind their car. As a car driver I find it hard to believe that on a quiet road in the dead of night you wouldn’t hear the screams or feel the drag on the steering.
    She’s asking for justice in terms of the trial, revenge would entail tying them to the back of a car and dragging them down the road.
    I agree with this completely. I think they must have known and carried on.

It also plays into a different issue which probably belongs in debates, but I also have an issue about the idea that if you are driving recklessly in a way that could endanger life, you are knowingly choosing to do that and you are doing that because you have decided to commit a crime, why doesn't the law see a killing that results from that as murder anyway?
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 12:25
    @wolfgang59 said
    What about karma? ๐Ÿค”
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 12:43
    @hells-caretaker said

๐Ÿšฌ
    I didn't want to spoil my day so didn't look! ๐Ÿ™‚

-VR
  9. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 13:55
    @petewxyz said
    I agree with this completely. I think they must have known and carried on.

It also plays into a different issue which probably belongs in debates, but I also have an issue about the idea that if you are driving recklessly in a way that could endanger life, you are knowingly choosing to do that and you are doing that because you have decided to commit a crime, why doesn't the law see a killing that results from that as murder anyway?
    I agree and I think it’s a problem with legal definitions around motive and intent. We could leave the definitions as they are but give much more leeway on sentencing. Death by dangerous driving is premeditated by definition and it’s the same with drunk driving, the sentencing authority should have access to the range of sentencing options that apply to premeditated murder.
    N.B one of the men responsible for the death of the PC has been sentenced to 16yrs so probably out in 8 - 10 years, he’ll be under 30 when he comes out and at liberty to do all the stuff that his victim will never get to do, it’s stomach churning and leaves society with less protection than it deserves.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 14:56
    @kevcvs57 said
    Of course... I agree wholeheartedly.

But perhaps they will get reduced sentence if they are good boys for a while and maybe the expert professional parole board will let them out.
  11. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    04 Aug '20 11:11
    @divegeester said
    Thank goodness the justice system is infallible and perpetrators always get what they deserve.
    [sarcasm]-flag noted

In fact the justice System will Always lack since there are humans, but all in all I think the Systems (in Europe) work quite well. There will be veridcts which we don't understand, and somwtimes they seem to be just wrong, but if we carefully read what the Judges say it makes sens more often than not.

Plus there is Always a higher court if something blatant happens.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree