1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    18 Oct '21 07:46
    Land use in all communities is constantly changing of course, but I've been shocked at how fast schools appear, then are gone. My elementary school was bulldozed about 15 years ago, and is now a county park. My Jr. High School is gone as well, and is now an equipment storage area for a new light rail line scheduled to open in 2023. My High School was renovated in the early 90's, and is now the school district central office, though no longer a school, the sports stadium is still in use for school district sports events.

So - Is your old school till a school?
  2. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    18 Oct '21 08:07
    I don't know 😐
  3. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    18 Oct '21 08:51
    What I do know is I have had Tina Turner in my head for 3 days πŸ˜”

🎡 I'm your private dancer 🎢 dancer for money 🎡 do what you want me to do 🎢
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Oct '21 09:281 edit
    @mchill said
    Land use in all communities is constantly changing of course, but I've been shocked at how fast schools appear, then are gone. My elementary school was bulldozed about 15 years ago, and is now a county park. My Jr. High School is gone as well, and is now an equipment storage area for a new light rail line scheduled to open in 2023. My High School was renovated in the early 90' ...[text shortened]... tadium is still in use for school district sports events.

My first elementary school has been converted into a nursery, but all other buildings still host the schools I went to (between 1978 und 1987)
  5. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    18 Oct '21 10:58
    @contenchess said
    What I do know is I have had Tina Turner in my head for 3 days πŸ˜”

🎡 I'm your private dancer 🎢 dancer for money 🎡 do what you want me to do 🎢
    Lay off the herbs πŸ˜†
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    18 Oct '21 11:061 edit
    @the-gravedigger said
    Lay off the herbs πŸ˜†
    What if the Herbs want to get laid ?
  7. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    18 Oct '21 11:07
    @the-gravedigger said
    Lay off the herbs πŸ˜†
    🎡 what's herb got to do 🎢 got to do with it? 🎡
  8. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    18 Oct '21 11:171 edit
    All the schools I attended are still schools, though one has expanded, much like my waist.😲
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Oct '21 11:441 edit
    @mchill said
    Land use in all communities is constantly changing of course, but I've been shocked at how fast schools appear, then are gone. My elementary school was bulldozed about 15 years ago, and is now a county park. My Jr. High School is gone as well, and is now an equipment storage area for a new light rail line scheduled to open in 2023. My High School was renovated in the early 90' ...[text shortened]... tadium is still in use for school district sports events.

This is happening nationwide as the country moves to the charter school system and decides that shoveling money out to unqualified private companies to (ostensibly) educate the children is somehow better than just getting out of the way and not trying to micro-manage the Department of Education. The DoE is now a shambles in this country as the privatization of education continues. Privatization of government agencies is going to be the death of this country as pro-business conservatives think shoveling money out the door to private for-profit companies is somehow better than letting the government do the job for less money and waste.

Screw the kids and seeing that they get a quality education. But then this is what happens when you let the uneducated try to run the store. They give it away to people waiting to make a profit on their backs. They thought education was a black hole in this country before. I guess as long as someone gets to just put their tax dollars into their own pocket, then that's okay.
  10. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    18 Oct '21 11:512 edits
    @Suzianne

Math is racist!
    A wrong answer can still be right as long as you're not white!
    There are 17 genders! Or more!
    White people bad! Everyone else good!
    Halloween hurts my feelings so no kids can dress up and have fun!
    Everyone gets a trophy!
    Take down that American flag!

You mean that DoE? πŸ™„
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Oct '21 13:101 edit
    @contenchess said
    @Suzianne

Math is racist!
    A wrong answer can still be right as long as you're not white!
    There are 17 genders! Or more!
    White people bad! Everyone else good!
    Halloween hurts my feelings so no kids can dress up and have fun!
    Everyone gets a trophy!
    Take down that American flag!

You mean that DoE? πŸ™„
    Juts commenting on one thesis:

"Math is racist!"

As you probably well know Math is not. But how it is taught can be, and of course a worng answer stays wrong. The point is to find out, wre the thought process came into a problem and trying to encourage instead of stamping "silly" over a name.

Oh and take it to Debates please.
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    18 Oct '21 14:09
    @mchill said

My elementary school is still standing. My high school got conglomerated.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    18 Oct '21 14:12
    @suzianne said
    This is happening nationwide as the country moves to the charter school system and decides that shoveling money out to unqualified private companies to (ostensibly) educate the children is somehow better than just getting out of the way and not trying to micro-manage the Department of Education. The DoE is now a shambles in this country as the privatization of education con ...[text shortened]... guess as long as someone gets to just put their tax dollars into their own pocket, then that's okay.
    Dear Suzi,

I fear you may be laboring under the misapprehension that the purpose of schooling is to educate children. Alas, nothing could be further from the truth.

“I never let schooling get in the way of my education.“ Mark Twain

The purpose of schooling is: a) to get children out of the house so their parents can be productive members of the workforce. And b) to make children compliant enough to become productive members of the workforce.

Take it to debates, Spanky.
  14. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    18 Oct '21 18:42
    @moonbus

You are right πŸ€”
  15. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    18 Oct '21 18:45
    @Ponderable

No spanky? πŸ˜”

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree