1. Gothenburg
    Moves
    14 Oct '19 17:131 edit
    @handyandy said
    I mean books like War and Peace that you read as far as Page 500, put it down, and then return to it three years later and go back to the beginning, and manage to read as far as Page 475... Whew!
    I wouldn't do it either - tried a few such books earlier but put them aside for good. That ones I start reading now, I usually finish or I don't try them at all. There must be something in them that makes me want more. The one I read recently - the Stockholm trilogy, 1794 - was very heavy and saddening. Niclas Natt och Dag is such a skilled writer and I want to know how the story unfolds. But it was very dark.
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    14 Oct '19 17:18
    @torunn said
    I wouldn't do it either - tried a few such books earlier but put them aside for good. That ones I start reading now, I usually finish or I don't try them at all. There must be something in them that makes me want more.
    I like your attitude.
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    14 Oct '19 17:202 edits
    @handyandy said
    I like your attitude.
    If I'm not mistaken, you have writing experiences in the news media. Am I right?
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    14 Oct '19 20:21
    @torunn said
    If I'm not mistaken, you have writing experiences in the news media. Am I right?
    Mum's the word.
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    14 Oct '19 20:241 edit
    @handyandy said
    Mum's the word.
    Yes, I just had that impression, maybe because you are such a good writer - grammar, spelling, vocabulary.
  6. Gothenburg
    Moves
    14 Oct '19 20:37
    I had a book for a few years on my bookshelf, which I knew would be worth an effort, but the start just didn't encourage me to go on - Carlos Ruiz Zafón: The Shadow of the Wind. I tried a few times and left it after a couple of pages. Then on one occasion when I had nothing of interest to read, I decided to give it another try, and was swept into an amazing literary, imaginary world. After that I read three more of his books, I just couldn't stop.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree