1. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 13:25
    @suzianne said
    And I imagine them to be kept in an umbrella stand near the door in the shape of an elephant's foot.
    They're actually housed in an old wooden butter churn.
  2. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 13:42
    @great-big-stees said
    I "SPEAK" English (and French), was born in the Northern part of the British Isles to a Scottish mother and Canadian father. I consider myself a Canadian by residence and a Scot by birth. I hold two passports.
    Since you have two passports does that mean you have what is known as a "Dual Citizenship"?
    The reason I ask is because your situation appears to be similar to mine except for the countries involved.
  3. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 14:42
    @mwmiller said
    Since you have two passports does that mean you have what is known as a "Dual Citizenship"?
    The reason I ask is because your situation appears to be similar to mine except for the countries involved.
    Yes indeed, "Dual Citizenship". It has it's advantages, at the airports, when traveling between Canada and Great Britain.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 20:14
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    They're actually housed in an old wooden butter churn.
    Perfect.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 20:24
    @great-big-stees said
    Yes indeed, "Dual Citizenship". It has it's advantages, at the airports, when traveling between Canada and Great Britain.
    Especially at the moment if you wanted to travel, Canada have been very strict with non-Canadians getting into the country, even transiting through was a hassle. Got my first passport aged 12, a British passport, it was never renewed. The difference between an Irish and British passport before Brexit was very minimal.
  6. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 21:51
    American girl here. Daughter of a career sailor, which isn’t an ethnicity but does have a distinct culture. Although I left the religion, I’m a seventh generation Mormon (one can leave the church but perhaps not entirely the culture) which means I know my ancestry on some lines very far back...we’ve traced to Scottish king Robert the Bruce and further on one line and to a family called Le Strange (go figure) who are found in Essex in 1032 and then settled to Shropshire. I’m related to Spencers from Warwickshire and Knights from Gloucester...

Some of our family participated in DNA research to discover whether Parkinson’s Disease in our family has a genetic component. 23 & Me says I have 98% British and Irish ancestry, which is genealogically verified. My British friends tell me I’m more British than they...as least until I begin to speak. 😂
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 22:02
    @hakima said
    American girl here. Daughter of a career sailor, which isn’t an ethnicity but does have a distinct culture. Although I left the religion, I’m a seventh generation Mormon (one can leave the church but perhaps not entirely the culture) which means I know my ancestry on some lines very far back...we’ve traced to Scottish king Robert the Bruce and further on one line and to a fami ...[text shortened]... verified. My British friends tell me I’m more British than they...as least until I begin to speak. 😂
    You can take the girl out of Britain.....I can't trace that far back, but in the 1800's all of my family emigrated to Utah and became Mormons. All except one brother, who stayed in southern England, from whence come I.
  8. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 22:54
    I'm not English either.
  9. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    24 Apr '21 19:26
    I was born in Wales, brought up by Polish parents so I never really felt Welsh. Having a name that led to everyone turning to look at you when it was called out in class wasn’t fun and it was always pronounced wrong so half the time I wasn’t even called by my proper name. Sometimes I’m British, sometimes Welsh; it depends?
  10. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    24 Apr '21 19:43
    Born and raised in Brooklyn, N.Y., with parents of German and Irish ancestry.

I have never, even on my worst day, been accused of being English.
  11. Gothenburg
    Moves
    24 Apr '21 20:53
    I am a Swedish citizen - my mother Swedish, my father Norwegian.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    24 Apr '21 21:13
    @divegeester said
    When asked, I always described myself as being British.

I love living in the British Isles, in Britain. England is more like a county in my mind.

Except during international sporting events when it becomes a place to be defended at all costs.
    The British Isles are definitely beautiful. Spent many vacations there even in winter. I love it. Cant say I ever experienced any racism from the British, who I think are quite friendly. Im an East Indian living in the Caribbean. Four generations ago my ancestors came to Trinidad from India to work on the sugar plantations to send raw sugar to Tate and Lyle. Pure East Indian. No mixing.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Apr '21 11:31
    @fmf said
    I have never introduced myself to anyone as "English" although, if you met me and heard my voice, you'd probably think I was.

I always describe myself as British. My parents, uncles and aunts, cousins, grandparents, great grandparents etc. were all from Sligo, Leitrim and Donegal in western Ireland. My two sisters and I were born in the "England" part of the United Kingdom.
    ...[text shortened]... an ethnicity? I doubt it. Is it an "identity"?

What is your nationality, ethnicity and ancestry?
    Irish/English/ Scotish, cant trace any relatives further south than liverpool thats going back to the 1600s, A yorkshireman to the core.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree