1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 01:451 edit
    I have never introduced myself to anyone as "English" although, if you met me and heard my voice, you'd probably think I was.

I always describe myself as British. My parents, uncles and aunts, cousins, grandparents, great grandparents etc. were all from Sligo, Leitrim and Donegal in western Ireland. My two sisters and I were born in the "England" part of the United Kingdom.

I have perhaps felt this more keenly since I moved to Indonesia [first time, 30 tears ago] where absolutely everyone has an ethnic identity aside from their nationality.

And, anyway, is English" really an ethnicity? I doubt it. Is it an "identity"?

What is your nationality, ethnicity and ancestry?
  2. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 03:40
    @FMF
    You are English born of Irish parents, resident in Indonesia, and no doubt travelling on a British passport.

Most of us have multiple identities, because humans are a migratory species. It's one of the things which make life interesting.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 06:39
    @FMF

I know some Scots and Welsh who think of themselves as British second.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 06:43
    @moonbus said
    Yes, of course. I'd say almost all the Scots and Welsh that I know.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 07:281 edit
    @fmf said
    I have never introduced myself to anyone as "English" although, if you met me and heard my voice, you'd probably think I was.

I always describe myself as British. My parents, uncles and aunts, cousins, grandparents, great grandparents etc. were all from Sligo, Leitrim and Donegal in western Ireland. My two sisters and I were born in the "England" part of the United Kingdom.
    ...[text shortened]... an ethnicity? I doubt it. Is it an "identity"?

What is your nationality, ethnicity and ancestry?
    When asked, I always described myself as being British.

I love living in the British Isles, in Britain. England is more like a county in my mind.

Except during international sporting events when it becomes a place to be defended at all costs.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 07:30
    @moonbus said
    @FMF

It is a strange phenomena that many people (in the debates forum for example) will attack English people for being nationalistic when without doubt English people are far far far less nationalistic than Scots, Welsh or Irish.
  7. Joined
    14 Feb '09
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 07:31
    @FMF

Canadian and caucasian, first generation to a German father and a Scottish mother who immigrated here long ago.
  8. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 08:58
    We are all citizens of the world. I just happen to be from the best bit.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 10:211 edit
    @relentless-red said
    We are all citizens of the world. I just happen to be from the best bit.
    Some of us are of families who evolved past the British Isles (specifically England, the York area) a century or more ago.

πŸ˜‰
  10. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 11:07
    @suzianne said
    Some of us are of families who evolved past the British Isles (specifically England, the York area) a century or more ago.

πŸ˜‰
    I'm sure your ancestors at least visited the best bit on the way to the boat.
  11. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 11:51
    Of course I'm English, I have twelve umbrellas.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 11:55
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Of course I'm English, I have twelve umbrellas.
    And I imagine them to be kept in an umbrella stand near the door in the shape of an elephant's foot.
  13. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 12:01
    @suzianne said
    And I imagine them to be kept in an umbrella stand near the door in the shape of an elephant's foot.
    Next to his bowler hats.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 12:04
    @very-musty said
    @FMF

Canadian and caucasian, first generation to a German father and a Scottish mother who immigrated here long ago.
    Are your ancestors from the Caucasus Mountains in Georgia? If not, I'm afraid you can't really claim lineage (and not sure why you would want to). Probably only important if maybe you want to join a white-supremacist group, it might be an interesting talking point.
  15. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    17 Apr '21 12:12
    I "SPEAK" English (and French), was born in the Northern part of the British Isles to a Scottish mother and Canadian father. I consider myself a Canadian by residence and a Scot by birth. I hold two passports.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree