1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '21 05:00
    Politicians and their ilk aside, do ordinary people generally exhibit more hypocrisy in their online interactions than they do in their offline interactions?

Or is it the other way around?

Does hypocrisy increase with disinhibition?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '21 05:50
    @fmf said
    Politicians and their ilk aside, do ordinary people generally exhibit more hypocrisy in their online interactions than they do in their offline interactions?

I think some people obscure their hypocrisy with general interpersonal niceness, or it may be that other people choose to overlook the hypocrisy in exchange for a sweeter relationship with a “nice” person.
  3. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    08 Apr '21 06:18
    This is the interweb baby.
    Anything goes.
  4. Gothenburg
    Moves
    08 Apr '21 06:24
    @fmf said

I think we may be less hypocritical in our online interactions, we may be careful how we express ourselves in writing. Offline, or among friends, we may be more openhearted as we are accepted for whom we are with our shortcomings and qualities.
  5. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    08 Apr '21 06:27
    @the-gravedigger said
    This is the interweb baby.
    Anything goes.
    Just keep your shovel in your pants, Mr. Digger.
  6. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    08 Apr '21 06:52
    @divegeester said
    I think some people obscure their hypocrisy with general interpersonal niceness, or it may be that other people choose to overlook the hypocrisy in exchange for a sweeter relationship with a “nice” person.
    Fair points, and now I see that you might be someone who has and maybe has had a clear and analytical view from outside of things.

Not my place to correct or try to guide you, of course.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '21 07:03
    @torunn said
    I think we may be less hypocritical in our online interactions, we may be careful how we express ourselves in writing. Offline, or among friends, we may be more openhearted as we are accepted for whom we are with our shortcomings and qualities.
    Interesting points. However, I see it as being the other way around.
  8. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    08 Apr '21 07:08
    @fmf said
    Mm. By "I" what exactly do you mean?
  9. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    08 Apr '21 08:07
    For every human quality you can construct an opposite quality.

The opposite of being true to your beliefs is being able to know when you must change your thinking.

The opposite of being bold, forthright and courageous is being cautious and thoughtful and taking care of your impact on others.

If you believe there is a time and a place for every quality as opposed to one quality being superior to it's opposite, then you will happily change your mind as required. If you believe you must define yourself by one stance as if the human mind were never conflicted and should never change, then you will be surrounded by hypocrisy. You will perpetuate wars rather than move your position and join in a process of collective thought and growth which by definition requires change.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '21 08:37
    @relentless-red said
    You will perpetuate wars rather than move your position and join in a process of collective thought and growth which by definition requires change.
    Do you think "collective thought" is something desirable in an online environment like a message board?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '21 08:47
    @relentless-red said
    If you believe you must define yourself by one stance as if the human mind were never conflicted and should never change, then you will be surrounded by hypocrisy.
    What definition of "hypocrisy" do you have in mind that makes this sentence work for you?

I see "hypocrisy" as being engaging in the same behavior for which one criticizes another person.

I don't see how "being surrounded by hypocrisy", or not as the case may be, would be affected by your "conflicted" mind.

Shouldn't people strive to define their stance on hypocrisy in one way: hypocrisy is unethical. Right?

Why would it ever be good for that ethical stance to change?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '21 08:51
    @relentless-red said
    If you believe there is a time and a place for every quality as opposed to one quality being superior to it's opposite, then you will happily change your mind as required.
    Is there "a time and a place" for hypocrisy, to your way of thinking? Are there times when hypocrisy is "superior to its opposite"?
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '21 09:03
    @kevin-eleven said
    Fair points, and now I see that you might be someone who has and maybe has had a clear and analytical view from outside of things.

Not my place to correct or try to guide you, of course.
    I will happily trade relationship for pure principled** posting.

**That is completely separate from politeness, courtesy and charm.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '21 09:04
    @fmf said
    Me too.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '21 09:06
    @relentless-red said
    The opposite of being true to your beliefs is being able to know when you must change your thinking.
    No it isn’t the “opposite”.

The opposite of “being true to your beliefs” is betraying your beliefs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree