1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 13:201 edit
    @the-gravedigger said
    In the old Soviet Union the workers had a saying:
    'They pretend to pay us and we pretend to work.'
    I heard the same saying from former East Germans.
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 13:22
    i get paid to do nothing
    i am unsure of how talented i am at this
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 13:29
    Better than most of my colleagues (and worse than none, one is as good except at different things), bur still not as good as I'd like.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 13:301 edit
    @fmf said
    Well, how good are you at your job? You don't have to say what your job is, you only have to offer up a claim about how good you are at it so that it can be scrutinized.
    I was a technical trainer in informatics for over 20 yrs (Cisco, for those to whom the company may mean something--their kit powers 80% of the Internet worldwide). Written feedback forms were filled out by participants at the end of each training (this was non-optional). I often got the remark from participants who had had technical training before, that I was the first trainer who made IP subnetting clear and understandable. Cisco continuously monitors its trainers; one does not stay a Cisco trainer for 20+ yrs without consistently good reviews. I retired in March 2020 when COVID lockdowns killed face-to-face training.

EDIT:

(IP subnetting is arithmetically simple, but the rationale behind it is convoluted. If anyone needs a primer, PM me; I can still do it.)
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 13:311 edit
    @the-gravedigger said
    I always endeavour to do the bare minimum required so its an average rating for me.
    You would excel in government! Have you thought of applying for work in the unemployment office? I'm sure they need people.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 13:331 edit
    @divegeester said
    Reminds me of the old adage:

Employees do the minimum to prevent being fired, employees pay the least to prevent staff leaving.
    Employers [sic] pay the least ...

Courtesy of the grammar Stasi.
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 13:36
    @rookie54 said
    i get paid to do nothing
    i am unsure of how talented i am at this
    That, my friend, is my definition of success: to get paid for doing what you would do anyway, even if no one paid you. Congratulations.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 13:37
    @fmf said
    Well, how good are you at your job? You don't have to say what your job is, you only have to offer up a claim about how good you are at it so that it can be scrutinized.
    TU from me. Good idea for a GF thread.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 13:42
    @divegeester said
    You could try joining the Chamberpot, that way you’ll avoid snide little jabs from Ghost of a Duck (sic)
    the duke is ok in my book
  10. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 13:57
    @moonbus said
    You would excel in government! Have you thought of applying for work in the unemployment office? I'm sure they need people.
    With the mess we are in now I would have thought that the unemployment office would be very busy.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 14:33
    PS

BTW, I taught the Bundeskriminalpolizei, that's the German equivalent of the FBI, how to monitor wireless/mobile phone communications. It's childishly easy to find out who communicates with whom, whether it's phoning or Instagramming or WhatsApe-ing or whatever, and with a bit more time and horsepower to decrypt content. So, if anyone out there is toying with the idea of kidnapping a state governor or killing Supreme Court justices, know that the authorities may not find out in time to prevent it, but they will find you.
  12. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 14:41
    @fmf said
    I would grade myself in the 80th percentile. Better than most, but still room for improvement.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 14:45
    @great-big-stees said
    Well…I don’t “work”.🤔
    Neither do I, although I did start at 17 and retired in my early 50's. 🙂

-VR
  14. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 15:24
    @moonbus said
    PS

BTW, I taught the Bundeskriminalpolizei, that's the German equivalent of the FBI, how to monitor wireless/mobile phone communications. It's childishly easy to find out who communicates with whom, whether it's phoning or Instagramming or WhatsApe-ing or whatever, and with a bit more time and horsepower to decrypt content. So, if anyone out there is toying with the ...[text shortened]... justices, know that the authorities may not find out in time to prevent it, but they will find you.
    Interesting.
    In the UK now everything is policed except crime.
  15. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    29 Jun '22 15:45
    @moonbus said
    the authorities may not find out in time to prevent it, but they will find you.
    elon's starlink satellite system operates on the same frequency modulation wavelength as the human neural synapse system and can read all our thoughts

this is not a theory, i have tested it and it works

everybody reading this will now take off their pants

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree