1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    20 Apr '21 00:51
    I just got some sort eligibility survey for jury duty. I wasn't a summons., but a type pre-screening for it.

I think I'd actually like being on a jury for first-hand experience of the legal system.

Anyone here ever been on a jury?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '21 01:52
    @vivify said
    I just got some sort eligibility survey for jury duty. I wasn't a summons., but a type pre-screening for it.

I think I'd actually like being on a jury for first-hand experience of the legal system.

I haven’t but I know a few people who have and they said it was a pain in the a$$; poor expenses, dull, drawn out etc.
  3. Joined
    14 Feb '09
    Moves
    20 Apr '21 02:19
    ...free lunch for us jobless broke mofo's so sign me up 🤔
  4. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    20 Apr '21 03:40
    @vivify said

Ignore the negative reviews. It's an important and rewarding job and I think you'll be a fine juror.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '21 03:481 edit
    @handyandy said
    Ignore the negative reviews.
    Why would he start a thread seeking input and then ignore the input? The accounts I recalled were honest experiences from people I know personally.
  6. Joined
    14 Feb '09
    Moves
    20 Apr '21 03:55
    @handyandy said
    Ignore the negative reviews. It's an important and rewarding job and I think you'll be a fine juror.
    Vivify is biased towards black.

You sir are a fool.
  7. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    20 Apr '21 04:37
    @vivify said

three times
    the first two i sat for half a day in a big ole courtroom with 100 others and then got dismissed at lunch
    killed the day
    the third i sat for was a sexual assault trial and it wasn't pretty

it's never pretty
    it's duty
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '21 04:51
    @divegeester said
    Why would he start a thread seeking input and then ignore the input? The accounts I recalled were honest experiences from people I know personally.
    Not very handy, is it?
  9. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    20 Apr '21 06:172 edits
    Nope. Every time I get called I tell the court I believe in " JURY NULLIFICATION". I don't get called back. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 Apr '21 06:31
    @vivify said

In Germany there is a culture of having professional judges come to a verdict. There are also "Schöffen" lay juges, who have to undergo some training before taking their seats.

It is always funny to see US court shows, where the main point are not the facts, but the emotions that are stirred up by the lawyers... I understand the idea behind a jury, but I can't think that a jury necessarily will be more just than professional judges.
  11. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    20 Apr '21 10:14
    @vivify said

I have most definitely never served on a jury, it was a guy with a big moustache, sideburns and glasses and any resemblance to me was completely coincidental.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    20 Apr '21 12:31
    @vivify said

A note from a Doctor why you can't appear always works! 😉

They never question it!

-VR
  13. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    20 Apr '21 12:53
    A friend has just done jury service. But due to covid just sat at home waiting to see if he was called. He wasn't.
  14. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    20 Apr '21 12:57
    Not me, but a close female friend was part of a 5 day trial involving much violent behaviour as well as property theft. She found the whole process interesting, although some of the images were pretty challenging. She said she felt good about doing her bit, and would do it again if called upon.
  15. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    20 Apr '21 13:08
    My late dad was called upon 4 times and was picked for each.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree