1. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    19 Jan '20 11:431 edit
    @divegeester said
    I sense that under this new Government there are already strategies in place to re-position the Monarchy as being more a contemporary enterprise with an agenda which will appeal to younger generations and cost conscious detractors.

My prediction is that once the Queen dies the Crown will pass to Charles who while enjoying his Kingship will be very much seen as holding ...[text shortened]... he will abdicate with honour and allow the younger generation to take over.

God save the Queen!
    Do you think a younger generation will be fit to head The Church of England?

I think the Queen has hung on so long because she does not regard Charles as being up to the role having divorced then remarried to a divorcee.
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Jan '20 12:452 edits
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    God save the Queen.
    Lets face facts at her age God has already done his part! 😉

Looks like no one wants to see Charles taking her seat, from what I hear this side of the pond not even the Queen. Why not just skip to Prince William? I don't know if the Queen has the authority to do that or not.

-VR
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '20 13:041 edit
    @drewnogal said
    Do you think a younger generation will be fit to head The Church of England?
    I don’t have much of an opinion on the CoE and what I do have is predominantly negative, I’m sure a younger leadership profile would benefit the institution.

When I say “younger” I mean someone in their 40s probably, not a Instagram addicted transgendered liberal nincompoop who will alienate the current revenue stream 😆
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '20 13:07
    @drewnogal said
    I think the Queen has hung on so long because she does not regard Charles as being up to the role having divorced then remarried to a divorcee.
    Possibly, I think she also loves her job and and carries a deeply ingrained sense of duty with her. Although creaking like an old Spanish galleon she’s still pretty good at what she does. A couple more years I hope.

God save the Queen!
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Jan '20 13:43
    At 93 the Queen doesn't have a lot of years left. She has already had to miss some engagements and send someone in her place. I think the time has come to pass the torch. She is still very sharp, but I think she should enjoy what life she has left more quietly and not have to travel and do so much, as it is wearing on her.

-VR
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jan '20 13:46
    @drewnogal said
    Now it’s being called MEGXIT !!!

Sounds more and more like Meghan is being blamed for this? Stormzy’s reaction to the negative way in which Eamon Homes described her now makes perfect sense.

The British media have behaved shamefully, like a pack of wolves, in a similar manner to the way they continue to tear into the memory of Princess Diana long after her death.
    ...[text shortened]... of fellow servicemen, promoting support for wounded men and women as they adapt to life post-injury.
    think u are on your own on this one Drew.
  7. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    20 Jan '20 18:48
    @divegeester said
    Possibly, I think she also loves her job and and carries a deeply ingrained sense of duty with her. Although creaking like an old Spanish galleon she’s still pretty good at what she does. A couple more years I hope.

God save the Queen!
    Having watched The Crown on Netflix I now have a better understanding of the way in which she’s given her whole life to it.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Jan '20 21:00
    @drewnogal said
    Having watched The Crown on Netflix I now have a better understanding of the way in which she’s given her whole life to it.
    I haven’t watch this latest series yet, but I did enjoy the previous ones.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Jan '20 22:48
    Markel’s father is a disgrace.
  10. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    20 Jan '20 23:31
    @divegeester said
    Markel’s father is a disgrace.
    So is he the main reason why they are distancing themselves from the royal family?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Jan '20 02:59
    @drewnogal said
    So is he the main reason why they are distancing themselves from the royal family?
    I wouldn’t have thought so, is that what you think?
  12. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    21 Jan '20 09:171 edit
    @divegeester said
    I wouldn’t have thought so, is that what you think?
    At the time of the wedding he become a huge embarrassment to her by giving personal information to the press. As she now tries to sue the press for sharing her personal letters/emails to her father the press will get him to testify that he openly shared ‘his’ letters/emails for publication by the press. He’s probably going to continue to sell all sorts irrelevant additional information about her and get himself a nice income for it too.

I don’t know whether he’s deliberately out to upset her or if he’s just cognitively compromised in some way? So by distancing herself from the Royal Family she hopes to reduce the attention upon herself and them?
  13. Gothenburg
    Moves
    21 Jan '20 09:28
    @drewnogal said
    At the time of the wedding he become a huge embarrassment to her by giving personal information to the press. As she now tries to sue the press for sharing her personal letters/emails to her father the press will get him to testify that he openly shared ‘his’ letters/emails for publication by the press. He’s probably going to continue to sell all sorts irrelevant additional ...[text shortened]... by distancing herself from the Royal Family she hopes to reduce the attention upon herself and them?
    I haven't followed what has been said and written about this couple, they don't get that much attention here. Why do so many people assume she is no good?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Jan '20 09:38
    @drewnogal said
    At the time of the wedding he become a huge embarrassment to her by giving personal information to the press. As she now tries to sue the press for sharing her personal letters/emails to her father the press will get him to testify that he openly shared ‘his’ letters/emails for publication by the press. He’s probably going to continue to sell all sorts irrelevant additional ...[text shortened]... by distancing herself from the Royal Family she hopes to reduce the attention upon herself and them?
    A very selfless approach if true, however I'm not sure they would allow themselves to be bullied by him. An interesting perspective though.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Jan '20 09:42
    @torunn said
    I haven't followed what has been said and written about this couple, they don't get that much attention here. Why do so many people assume she is no good?
    I think it is multi-factorial.

The mood in the UK is increasingly for a scaled back civil list and to focus more on the the core Royal Family who are ruling and those in waiting to rule. Harry & Megan will never rule of course and I think they just don't want to be portrayed as the hangers-on or also-rans.

The press are into them because there is a readership buck in attacking them - from those in the UK such as @badradger who read those editorials.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree