1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 18:56
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2021/07/24/tokyo-olympics-esports/

After years of discussion over how and whether the Olympics should integrate competitive video gaming, esports had their place alongside traditional sports at the Tokyo Games this year. The only differences between the two forms of competition were that the esports matches took place entirely online, were laggy, and were held outside of the official Olympics, before the Opening Ceremonies began.

Video game players competing at the highest levels of “Street Fighter V” and “Rocket League” battled for a share of a $500,000 prize pool at the all-virtual Intel World Open. In 2019, Intel presented its event to the media, teasing that at the Tokyo Olympics, esports would be positioned alongside traditional sports, and similarly feature competitors at the highest level.

The event was originally planned to be held in person at Zepp Divercity in Tokyo, adjacent to the Aomi Urban Sports Park Olympic venue, and feature top-tier professional and amateur gamers, a showcase for esports as the International Olympic Committee continues to mull adding competitive video gaming to future Games.

Since at least 2017, there have been discussions about esports becoming part of the Olympics, even as sports aimed at younger audiences joined the Games, including skateboarding and surfing in Tokyo. This year, those conversations led to esports gaining a more significant presence in professional competition. In April, the IOC announced it would hold virtual auto racing, baseball, cycling, rowing and sailing competitions, ahead of the Summer Games. However, those competitions omitted the most popular game titles in esports, such as “League of Legends” and “Dota 2,” and focused instead on games that replicated traditional sports with limited player bases.
  2. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 19:04
    sports forum
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 19:10
    @Wycombe-Al

As if video games are actual sports lol.

Btw, looks like I was right!
  4. SubscriberWycombe Al
    greatest site
    or just a tribute
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 19:13
    @eladar said
    @Wycombe-Al

As if video games are actual sports lol.

Btw, looks like I was right!
    definition of sports has always been an odd ones, i'd like to see darts, snooker, dominoes,cribbage and pinball in the olympics but apparently they are also games
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    27 Jul '21 20:351 edit
    @wycombe-al said
    definition of sports has always been an odd ones, i'd like to see darts, snooker, dominoes,cribbage and pinball in the olympics but apparently they are also games
    Chess is considered a sport, which I always found odd. Maybe chess will be an Olympic event one day.
  6. Joined
    08 Sep '20
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 05:50
    I must say that I have noticed that in this olympics especially, the male athletes seem to need to much much more clothing on the buttocks and groin areas than the female athletes, in order to perform at their best.
  7. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Jul '21 06:22
    Can we agree that the Olympics are actually about making money these days?

Of course they will cater markets.

Expect new olympic discplines as they become fashionable.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree