1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 18:21
    An overheard question in a restaurant, some people should really stick to the chip van 😂
  2. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 18:55
    @trev33 said
    An overheard question in a restaurant, some people should really stick to the chip van 😂
    If it’s a custard slice I’d say either, as long as it’s cut sideways.
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 20:58
    The average Indonesian eats with a fork and tablespoon, the correct etiquette (which they are taught at school) being to shovel the food (which is almost always rice with something) onto the spoon with the fork, and eat with the spoon. So for a right - handed person it's fork in the left hand, spoon in the right hand. When we first set up our guesthouse over here we had to import table knives from Ikea, they weren't available for sale locally. (Our guests were almost exclusively Westerners) Eating savoury food with a tablespoon was for me a step too far into social integration, it's never felt right, (spoons are for pudding) so if I'm eating out I ignore the spoon and eat with the fork. I'm right - handed so that's fork in the right hand, whereas of course I was raised with fork in the left hand, and now I find myself in an East meets West multi - cultural kind of situation where I have to think sometimes with which hand to pick up the fork.
  4. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 21:521 edit
    @trev33 said
    Being a butcher I often was asked that. Policy manuals tell you which to use on what. Rule of thumb, if it's fist diameter or smaller i.e. boneless pork loin, beef eye of round etc, small knife. But if you slice better with the big knife, use it. Boning etc you better not get caught using your big knife.
  5. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 22:02
    @indonesia-phil said
    The average Indonesian eats with a fork and tablespoon, the correct etiquette (which they are taught at school) being to shovel the food (which is almost always rice with something) onto the spoon with the fork, and eat with the spoon. So for a right - handed person it's fork in the left hand, spoon in the right hand. When we first set up our guesthouse over here we ha ...[text shortened]... ti - cultural kind of situation where I have to think sometimes with which hand to pick up the fork.
    Maybe that's because if two people face each other, so the westerner is facing the east and the easterner is facing the west their fork hands will always be to the north. Probably they effect of magnetic north on the slow evolution of cultures. I guess the people who don't keep this rule must be the forking southerners of whom I have heard many bad things.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    13 Oct '21 22:321 edit
    @indonesia-phil said
    The average Indonesian eats with a fork and tablespoon, the correct etiquette (which they are taught at school) being to shovel the food (which is almost always rice with something) onto the spoon with the fork, and eat with the spoon. So for a right - handed person it's fork in the left hand, spoon in the right hand. When we first set up our guesthouse over here we ha ...[text shortened]... ti - cultural kind of situation where I have to think sometimes with which hand to pick up the fork.
    In some cultures they eat with their hands and that's fine. I dont know what the fuss is over cutlery and table etiquette...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree