1. Gothenburg
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 09:181 edit
    Speaking of investments, such as art, how about this:

"Bottle of wine sells for a record $558,000. A 73-year-old bottle of French Burgundy became the most expensive bottle of wine ever sold at auction, fetching $558,000. The bottle of 1945 Romanee-Conti sold at Sotheby for more than 17 times its original estimate of $32,000.
    (15 okt. 2018)"
  2. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 09:27
    @torunn said
    Speaking of investments, such as art, how about this:

"Bottle of wine sells for a record $558,000. A 73-year-old bottle of French Burgundy became the most expensive bottle of wine ever sold at auction, fetching $558,000. The bottle of 1945 Romanee-Conti sold at Sotheby for more than 17 times its original estimate of $32,000.
    (15 okt. 2018)"
    Crazy especially as it is probably undrinkable.
  3. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 10:49
    @the-gravedigger said
    you would open that bottle just to show that you don't care about money...
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 13:37
    @ponderable said
    you would open that bottle just to show that you don't care about money...
    WHAT???? Who in their right mind doesn't care about money? 😲 🤔 😉
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 14:18
    @great-big-stees said
    WHAT???? Who in their right mind doesn't care about money? 😲 🤔 😉
    ummmmmm.....Oh yea I missed the part about not being in their right mind. (Disregard)! 😉

-VR
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 14:221 edit
    @the-gravedigger said
    Collectors items. I don’t get it with wine I have to admit although if I had the money I would bid on this working Apple 1 computer which Christie’s expected to fetch between $400,00 and $650,000.

Originally retailed at $666.66 interestingly.

Edit for link: https://www.livescience.com/65444-apple-for-sale-christies.html
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 15:18
    @divegeester said
    Collectors items. I don’t get it with wine I have to admit although if I had the money I would bid on this working Apple 1 computer which Christie’s expected to fetch between $400,00 and $650,000.

Originally retailed at $666.66 interestingly.

Edit for link: https://www.livescience.com/65444-apple-for-sale-christies.html
    Why pay all that money for a bottle of wine when you can't even drink it? Just to prove that you can, people are like that!

With the computers I would never bid on one...I've had my last two built and all you have to do is replace parts, only had the second one built because I loved the tower.

-VR
  8. Gothenburg
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 15:22
    @very-rusty said
    Why pay all that money for a bottle of wine when you can't even drink it? Just to prove that you can, people are like that!

With the computers I would never bid on one...I've had my last two built and all you have to do is replace parts, only had the second one built because I loved the tower.

-VR
    If I had the money, I would perhaps buy an expensive work of art that I loved, but not to put in a safe. I may keep it in an art museum for everybody to enjoy.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 15:59
    @very-rusty said
    The one in my post is a collectors item.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 16:01
    @divegeester said
    The one in my post is a collectors item.
    Ahhhh...I see, that is different. I didn't go to the site to check it out!

-VR
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 17:45
    @very-rusty said
    Ahhhh...I see, that is different. I didn't go to the site to check it out!
    You didn’t realise that a computer called an “Apple 1” which was being auctioned at Christie’s for $650,000 was a collectors item?
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 18:091 edit
    @divegeester said
    You didn’t realise that a computer called an “Apple 1” which was being auctioned at Christie’s for $650,000 was a collectors item?
    I must admit I did not...It was after that time before I even learned how to turn a computer on to be truthful about it. Never used an "Apple 1" or even heard about it. So it would be a computer you have that is outdated?...Wouldn't it take years for it to actually be worth any REAL money?

I did a little research on it: How much is an Apple 1 worth?
    The original machine designed by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak might not hold up in terms of computing power, but it sure holds its value, and then some. This working Apple-1 system sold for $375,000 at auction.Sep 26, 2018

-VR
  13. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 22:11
    i was over to Pig Money this afternoon (barbeque, auctioneer, used car dealer)
    and he had a one owner, seldom used
    RUSTYONE computer

he said nobody really wanted it, it rarely worked, only spouted gibberish, and was offensive to genteel folks who didn't like flies around their pulled pork sandwiches
  14. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    11 Dec '19 22:19
    @rookie54 said
    i was over to Pig Money this afternoon (barbeque, auctioneer, used car dealer)
    and he had a one owner, seldom used
    RUSTYONE computer

he said nobody really wanted it, it rarely worked, only spouted gibberish, and was offensive to genteel folks who didn't like flies around their pulled pork sandwiches
    Come on now tell the truth you bought it didn't you! 😛

-VR
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Dec '19 05:50
    @very-rusty said
    Such bottles of wine are either actually drunk or kept as investment.
    Sometimes the tastings are disappointing and will obviously affect
    the value of other bottles from the same vintage.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree