20 Jan '21 08:49
    YouTube
    Some interesting detail.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Jan '21 12:56
    @torunn said
    It's a high price to pay for a habit many of started early and didn't realize until too late how dangerous it can be. I think we were mislead by commercials showing smoking as something quite natural, and so did our parents and other adults.
    It’s quite surprising how popular smoking still is, even with some of the younger generations.
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    20 Jan '21 13:21
    @divegeester said
    It’s quite surprising how popular smoking still is, even with some of the younger generations.
    The number of smokers is going down luckily - teenage girls still do though for a few years.
  4. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    20 Jan '21 14:38
    @torunn said
    It's a high price to pay for a habit many of started early and didn't realize until too late how dangerous it can be. I think we were mislead by commercials showing smoking as something quite natural, and so did our parents and other adults.
    My dad smoked from age 14, it was so cool then (the 1950's) to smoke. He quit about two years before he died.
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    20 Jan '21 14:40
    @yo-its-me said
    My dad smoked from age 14, it was so cool then (the 1950's) to smoke. He quit about two years before he died.
    It was cool and totally accepted everywhere. In England e.g. it was even allowed in cinemas.
  6. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    20 Jan '21 14:49
    @torunn said
    It was cool and totally accepted everywhere. In England e.g. it was even allowed in cinemas.
    Yes, I remember him smoking everywhere we went when I was young. Cigars with my uncle, roll ups at home and silk cut otherwise!
    I remember the conversations and he definitely said at one point that smoking helped him to breath. I'm sure that was propaganda/ advertising he'd been fed at some point. He did eventually agree it was unhealthy, but the damage was too great apparently by then.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Jan '21 14:571 edit
    @yo-its-me said
    Yes, I remember him smoking everywhere we went when I was young. Cigars with my uncle, roll ups at home and silk cut otherwise!
    I remember the conversations and he definitely said at one point that smoking helped him to breath. I'm sure that was propaganda/ advertising he'd been fed at some point. He did eventually agree it was unhealthy, but the damage was too great apparently by then.
    I think one of the early advertisements was 'a breathe of fresh air.'

Killed my nan in her 50's.
  8. Gothenburg
    Moves
    20 Jan '21 15:13
    @yo-its-me said
    A colleage of mine had asthma and he said that smoking made breathing easier.
  9. Gothenburg
    Moves
    20 Jan '21 15:141 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I think one of the early advertisements was 'a breathe of fresh air.'

Killed my nan in her 50's.
    We who smoked were surrounded by smoke, active and passive
  10. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    20 Jan '21 17:01
    @divegeester said
    I’m very sorry to read that; Are you an ex-smoker by chance?
    My relative smoked from 14 years old and gave up about 8 years ago, diagnosed about 2 years ago.
    Yes, started smoking age 10. that was 1960, so I smoked for 60 years. I was diagnosed with it quite a while ago.
  11. Gothenburg
    Moves
    20 Jan '21 17:18
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Yes, started smoking age 10. that was 1960, so I smoked for 60 years. I was diagnosed with it quite a while ago.
    What made you start smoking so early? Friends?
  12. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    20 Jan '21 17:19
    @torunn said
    I remember about 1970, on semester break, I went to LA to visit a friend that I had met and who moved back home, LA (Orange County).

Anyway, I went to see the movie Bullitt - just released. In that movie theater, Mann's Chinese theatre, smoking was allowed during the run of the movie.
    That surprised me because it was not legal in the state I was from.
  13. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    20 Jan '21 17:23
    @torunn said
    What made you start smoking so early? Friends?
    oh, sure. peer pressure. My older brother was a big big influence in my life.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree