1. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jun '16 14:39
    "Not only to myself or before the mirror of at the hour of my death, which I hope will be long in coming, but in the presence of my children and my wife, and in the face of the peaceful life I'm building, I must acknowledge: (1) That under Stalin I wouldn't have wasted my youth in the gulag or ended up with a bullet in tne back of my head; (2) That in the McCarthy era I wouldn't have lost my job or had to pump gas at a gas station; (3) That under Hitler, however, I would have been one of those who chose the path of exile, and that under Franco I wouldn't have composed sonnets to the caudillo or the Holy Virgin like so many lifelong democrats. One thing is as true as the other. My bravery has its limits, but so does what I'm willing to swallow. Everything that begins in comedy ends as tragicomedy."
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jun '16 14:423 edits
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    "Not only to myself or before the mirror of at the hour of my death, which I hope will be long in coming, but in the presence of my children and my wife, and in the face of the peaceful life I'm building, I must acknowledge: (1) That under Stalin I wouldn't have wasted my youth in the gulag or ended up with a bullet in tne back of my head; (2) That in th ...[text shortened]... but so does what I'm willing to swallow. Everything that begins in comedy ends as tragicomedy."
    Thats deep. Its a kind of moral relativism based on expediency but not so much that all things are acceptable. It must of been a horrendous time to live, the 30's and 40's
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Jun '16 15:172 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Thats deep. Its a kind of moral relativism based on expediency but not so much that all things are acceptable. It must of been a horrendous time to live, the 30's and 40's
    The McCarthy era was in the 1950's, starting around 1948 I think. Pete Seeger and the Weavers folk group was blacklisted as well as a number of actors.

Here is a timeline:

http://www.shmoop.com/mccarthyism-red-scare/timeline.html

A terrible time to be in the USA and be any kind of liberal.
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    20 Jun '16 16:18
    Gee, what drove you to put their names together?

As much as I may enjoy Bukowski when I am drunk or high, Borges is one
    of the giants of literature. No comparison there.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jun '16 16:35
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The McCarthy era was in the 1950's, starting around 1948 I think. Pete Seeger and the Weavers folk group was blacklisted as well as a number of actors.

Here is a timeline:

http://www.shmoop.com/mccarthyism-red-scare/timeline.html

A terrible time to be in the USA and be any kind of liberal.
    We read The Crucible in school which was inspired by events of the McCarthy era.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jun '16 19:05
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Gee, what drove you to put their names together?

As much as I may enjoy Bukowski when I am drunk or high, Borges is one
    of the giants of literature. No comparison there.
    The answer lies in the novel Savage Detectives.
  7. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    20 Jun '16 20:03
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    The answer lies in the novel Savage Detectives.
    Bolan̂o's 'Los Detectives Salvajes'? I got to reread it, I guess. Not a clue at
    the moment since it has been ages since I grabbed it. BRB.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Jun '16 22:30
    This quote is from that book (English translation by Natasha Wimmer).
    In the novel Bolano has funny chapter of a young writer who has a girlfriend employed in post office as mail woman. He is embarrased because of her occupaiton and he eventually leaves her. This is a Bukowski related intertextutal joke.
    Borges related reference is in the chapter about sword duel between writer Arturo Belano (Bolano's alter ego) and critic Inaiki Echevarme due a review that had not yet been published but Arturo only assumes it will be written. This is a reference to a Borges short story.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree