1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 May '22 05:45
    I watched a documentary called “Supersonic” about the band Oasis last night. It wasn’t that great to be honest but there was a section in it which was Noel Gallagher reflecting on their 2 day mega-gigs at Knebworth in 1996 where they played to 250,000 people.

He was taking about the significance of that event in terms of it being “before the internet” had taken over the world, and how he felt that there would rarely if ever be gigs like that again where people gathered to see a band rather than consume it on TikTok, or whatever.

He went onto say that we should be worried about that because the internet has fragmented us and where people perhaps won’t gather to “see” a band like that again.

I’m not sure he’s right, but I do think he has a point. The internet seems to have divided us or at least highlighted our divisions. It’s made live performance more accessible digitally but diluted the need to gather. It’s spawned an army of these dreadful “influencers” and a generation of Instagramers, TicTokers and Facebookers who photograph their food and their ass and think it art.

It made me realise how long ago 1996 was, and what a brilliant time it was to be alive; Britpop ruled, live gigs by proper bands were on the rise and tolling the demise of the awful soulless “house music” and raves.

Maybe I’m being nostalgic and losing sight of the bigger picture, but I quite like the small picture every now and then.

Thoughts?
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    20 May '22 06:32
    @divegeester

So much has changed since then - good and bad - life offered less possibilities and was less complicated. The internet makes everything so very different and demanding - it insists we are always present and available.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 May '22 06:37
    @divegeester said
    Thoughts?
    There are fewer people thinking about albums now; they think of playlists.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 May '22 08:37
    In fact there are different people with different needs and goals.

Some will still go to concerts to feel the atmospehere. (I will attend two big concerts this year [one that was moved twice] and I plan not to stream a single seond)
  5. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    20 May '22 10:52
    @divegeester said
    I watched a documentary called “Supersonic” about the band Oasis last night. It wasn’t that great to be honest but there was a section in it which was Noel Gallagher reflecting on their 2 day mega-gigs at Knebworth in 1996 where they played to 250,000 people.

He was taking about the significance of that event in terms of it being “before the internet” had taken over ...[text shortened]... ng sight of the bigger picture, but I quite like the small picture every now and then.

Thoughts?
    He went onto say that we should be worried about that because the internet has fragmented us and where people perhaps won’t gather to “see” a band like that again.

The internet is a tool - nothing more. It won't change how people evaluate bands.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 May '22 10:57
    @mchill said
    The internet is a tool - nothing more. It won't change how people evaluate bands.
    Nonsense. The way people consume music has changed completely. This has been changing the music scene drastically for over a decade.

Only a few years ago, artists' record companies were deleting thousands and thousands of YouTube videos of their products.

Now, artists' record companies are putting whole albums up on YouTube for free as soon as they are released.

Furthermore, millions upon millions of people are zeroing in on singles and EPs and playlists... and they are frequently not bothered with albums, and "album tracks" etc. etc. anymore.

The way people evaluate bands is changing apace.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 May '22 08:49
    @mchill said
    The internet is a tool - nothing more.
    Like a gun is a tool?
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    21 May '22 14:151 edit
    @divegeester said
    Like a gun is a tool?
    Actually a gun would be considered a weapon. Try telling a police officer it is a tool. 🙂

I don't believe the two are a good comparison.

-VR
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 May '22 09:43
    @very-rusty said
    Actually a gun would be considered a weapon. Try telling a police officer it is a tool. 🙂

I don't believe the two are a good comparison.

-VR
    Well the internet would be considered a bunch of wires, servers and screens.
  10. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    22 May '22 12:32
    @divegeester said

He was taking about the significance of that event in terms of it being “before the internet” had taken over ...[text shortened]... ng sight of the bigger picture, but I quite like the small picture every now and then.

Thoughts?
    👍 Brilliant.... On board with that...
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 May '22 13:441 edit
    @divegeester said
    Well the internet would be considered a bunch of wires, servers and screens.
    Can they shoot you? 🙂

Many wires in a gun?

-VR
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 May '22 14:27
    @very-rusty said
    Can they shoot you? 🙂

Many wires in a gun?

-VR
    It’s an analogy.

Look it up, try and educated yourself a little.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    22 May '22 14:34
    @divegeester said
    It’s an analogy.
    Talk straight don't use analogy's be out right and straight forward for a change!@ 😛 🙂

-VR
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 May '22 06:54
    @very-rusty said
    Talk straight don't use analogy's be out right and straight forward for a change
    You’re giving me advice on better posting?
  15. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    23 May '22 06:576 edits
    @divegeester said

Thoughts?
    "Well, I'm different now, but I'm glad that you're my girl."

But yeah, I get what you're saying about the difference between so much being instantly available all the time versus time-bound incarnates first having to learn about an event and then having to make the effort to attend it.

Maybe, 30 years post availability of public internet some of us are not appreciative enough of our localized, temporary incarnations and whatever value (and dangers/opportunities) of physical presence among others, but we have also had a couple years of forced separation, which might skew our thinking on this matter.

Or, looking at this another way, maybe we will return to the more localized events as occurred pre-stadium decades, where only a few dozen people might be present.

We don't necessarily need to feed the egos of people who miss having millions of people paying attention to them.

It used to be that a song, a story, a poem, or an illustration would be enough to inspire someone, without a large crowd, or any crowd at all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree