1. Standard memberGambrel
    Supratherion
    Garden City Colorado
    Moves
    26 Oct '21 14:53
    @contenchess said
    He was practicing drawing his weapon but why point it at her face?...and cock the hammer and pull the trigger?
    The old west double action revolver requires you to pull the hammer back then pull the trigger.
    I think you meant the old west single action revolver, a double action can fire with just a trigger squeeze

But both can go off accidently half cocked
    Meaning the trigger being pulled back slightly then released. This is why many people leave out one bullet, so there's an empty chamber lined up with the hammer when stored.
  2. Donationmwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    26 Oct '21 15:22
    I don't know what they use for movie stunt firearms, and this information may have nothing to do with what happened in this situation.

The old authentic western-style single action revolvers had the firing pin actually constructed as part of the hammer, so it was capable of firing off a round by accident by being bumped, dropped or struck while it was resting on the cartridge primer.

Normal operation requires two steps to fire a round, first cocking the hammer back, and then pulling the trigger.

It was common practice to leave one chamber empty and have the hammer rest on that empty chamber because of that reason. At some point the design was improved and that made it safe to carry live rounds in all chambers.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '21 16:011 edit
    @very-rusty said
    I have very little faith when it comes to a movie production actually telling the whole truth about a fatal accident on set. One persons job to make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen, yet it happens? No red flags go up for you?

-VR
    What’s the range of possible offence here; pre-meditated murder through to manslaughter through negligence?

Whatever it is I reckon there will be at least one person not telling the truth!
  4. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Oct '21 16:331 edit
    @divegeester said
    What’s the range of possible offence here; pre-meditated murder through to manslaughter through negligence?

Whatever it is I reckon there will be at least one person not telling the truth!
    YOU SAID: pre-meditated murder through to manslaughter through negligence?

That is a tough one to call but I would go with negligence, with possible manslaughter, for the prop person.

We hopefully will find out every thing and nothing will be swept under the rug.

-VR
  5. Sands
    Moves
    26 Oct '21 19:29
    despite all the H & S regulations in place for film and tv shoots what it comes down to is that production companies and producers want to keep the cost as low as possible to minimise losses if the film or tv series is a dud so they cut corners, they don't get the best staff, they ignore rules, they pray nothing goes wrong
  6. SubscriberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    26 Oct '21 19:32
    @gambrel said
    I think you meant the old west single action revolver, a double action can fire with just a trigger squeeze

But both can go off accidently half cocked
    Meaning the trigger being pulled back slightly then released. This is why many people leave out one bullet, so there's an empty chamber lined up with the hammer when stored.
    Now I know 🤔

Thanks
  7. SubscriberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    26 Oct '21 19:34
    @mwmiller

Thanks to you too 😉
  8. Subscriberdrewnogal
    Give a dog
    A bad name
    Moves
    26 Oct '21 19:44
    @wycombe-al said
    despite all the H & S regulations in place for film and tv shoots what it comes down to is that production companies and producers want to keep the cost as low as possible to minimise losses if the film or tv series is a dud so they cut corners, they don't get the best staff, they ignore rules, they pray nothing goes wrong
    So Rust being a low budget film and Baldwin being a co-producer as well being the actor who was holding the gun makes him responsible in a number of ways.
  9. SubscriberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    26 Oct '21 19:45
    Especially since he was playing with the gun.
  10. Sands
    Moves
    26 Oct '21 19:59
    @drewnogal yes probably, as a co-producer he would have a lot of say in who was hired, how things would play out, etc, i think they employed people on the cheap at the start of their careers, very risky and now everyone can see why
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    26 Oct '21 20:39
    @wycombe-al said
    @drewnogal yes probably, as a co-producer he would have a lot of say in who was hired, how things would play out, etc, i think they employed people on the cheap at the start of their careers, very risky and now everyone can see why
    So, Baldwin could find himself facing charges?

-VR
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Oct '21 08:36
    @very-rusty said
    YOU SAID: pre-meditated murder through to manslaughter through negligence?That is a tough one to call but I would go with negligence, with possible manslaughter, for the prop person.
    I wasn’t asking you to “call it”.

I was just highlighting the possible spectrum of charges in a situation like this.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Oct '21 08:411 edit
    @wycombe-al said
    The 24 year old armorer looks like an substance-abusing work-experience burger-flipper rather a highly experienced weapons handling expert.

Apparently her father was a respected on-set weapons handler and this was her second movie. Apparently Nickolas Cage stormed off set (in her first movie) due to her repeatedly firing weapons on set without warning.

Nepotism, complacently, incompetence.
  14. Sands
    Moves
    27 Oct '21 09:35
    @divegeester nepotism is still rife in the film and tv industry run by middle aged white bald men
  15. SubscriberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    27 Oct '21 10:131 edit
    @wycombe-al said
    @divegeester nepotism is still rife in the film and tv industry run by middle aged white bald men
    Nepotism exists with all races meathead.
    Her last name is Gutierrez. 🙄

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree