1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 15:22
    @lemondrop said
    I don't think there are too many days of work lost because of nicotine
    or caffeine for that matter
    Did you calculate all the "smoking breaks" in your picture?
  2. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 15:291 edit
    @lemondrop said
    I don't think there are too many days of work lost because of nicotine
    A lot of people take time off from work when they are dying from cancer.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 15:35
    I found the experience of quitting cigarettes [back in 1992] so intensely unpleasant, the memory of it was a big factor behind me never starting again.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 15:47
    @fmf said
    I found the experience of quitting cigarettes [back in 1992] so intensely unpleasant, the memory of it was a big factor behind me never starting again.
    At certain periods in my life I definitely did enough drinking to become addicted to alcohol, but it simply never took hold of me, physically speaking.
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 16:15
    @fmf said
    At certain periods in my life I definitely did enough drinking to become addicted to alcohol, but it simply never took hold of me, physically speaking.
    That goes for me too, although some people would say that having wine every day, as I do, is not good for anyone.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 16:19
    @torunn said
    That goes for me too, although some people would say that having wine every day, as I do, is not good for anyone.
    Red wine does have some health benefits, but only if drunk in moderation. (At one time it was suggested it prevented dementia in later life, but I have since read reports that claim the opposite is true).
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 16:21
    @torunn said
    One of the things that gave me cold feet about living in Australia was the ease with which one could be tempted to drink and how early it could start [with a couple of tinnies from a beer fridge at 4 pm]. I remember, a couple of years back, telling my friend in Perth, where I had lived for a few years, that I had got my drinking down to one day a week. He replied that he'd got his drinking down to one day off a week. That might have been how it was for me if I'd stuck around.
  8. Gothenburg
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 16:23
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Red wine does have some health benefits, but only if drunk in moderation. (At one time it was suggested it prevented dementia in later life, but I have since read reports that claim the opposite is true).
    Doctors say different things - some say that 1-2 glasses of wine a day for somebody my age is quite ok, others mean that 1-2 glasses per week would be better.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 16:28
    @torunn said
    Doctors say different things - some say that 1-2 glasses of wine a day for somebody my age is quite ok, others mean that 1-2 glasses per week would be better.
    As general advice, it is probably best if we all have days in the week when we don't consume any alcohol at all.

We shouldn't though try and catch up at the weekend. 🙂
  10. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 16:29
    @torunn said
    A couple of glasses of wine a day won't hurt you Torunn.
    No doubt alcohol can be highly addictive and very damaging in excess.
    But its been around for thousands of years and banning it would do more harm than good.
    I have been known to have a cold beer on a hot day and fully intend to keep on doing it.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 16:33
    @the-gravedigger said
    But its been around for thousands of years and banning it would do more harm than good.
    I have been known to have a cold beer on a hot day and fully intend to keep on doing it.
    Is cold beer code for Babycham?
  12. Gothenburg
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 16:37
    @the-gravedigger said
    I hope so, and I would miss wine if I had to give it up. Giving up smoking after many years of keeping up that habit wasn't difficult, I quit smoking in '93. And as Ghost says, a 'white day' now and then without alcohol is fine too.
  13. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 16:39
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Is cold beer code for Babycham?
    LOL its code for anything I can get my paws on 😆
  14. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 16:55
    I drink very seldom, maybe every other r month I'll have a drink. Marijuana is legal in my state. So I smoke a couple of bowls a day.
  15. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 17:08
    @torunn said
    This thread should perhaps belong in the Debate forum but there I would meet a different kind of people. In this general forum I hope to have views from posters I'm used to.

My 55 year old daughter hardly ever uses alcohol whereas I am very fond of wine. She claims that alcohol is one the most dangerous drugs there are - it's just that we live in a country that accepts alcohol but no other drugs.

Can I have our views, please.
    I’m possibly fortunate in that my body is very sensitive to alcohol. The following day the smallest amount gives me a headache, makes me lethargic, ruins my sleep, I get low if I drink it often and have thrown up bile after a heavy session. It was the sole reason why I suffered a low self esteem and depression from the age of 15. But ... I love the taste of it, love it’s relaxing effect and have had some fun times getting drunk so it’s easy to understand how people can become dependent upon it.

I drink less than 10 times a year and never more than one glass.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree