1. Gothenburg
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 14:30
    This thread should perhaps belong in the Debate forum but there I would meet a different kind of people. In this general forum I hope to have views from posters I'm used to.

My 55 year old daughter hardly ever uses alcohol whereas I am very fond of wine. She claims that alcohol is one the most dangerous drugs there are - it's just that we live in a country that accepts alcohol but no other drugs.

Can I have our views, please.
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 14:41
    @torunn said
    This thread should perhaps belong in the Debate forum but there I would meet a different kind of people. In this general forum I hope to have views from posters I'm used to.

My 55 year old daughter hardly ever uses alcohol whereas I am very fond of wine. She claims that alcohol is one the most dangerous drugs there are - it's just that we live in a country that accepts alcohol but no other drugs.

Your daughters views are a great deal like those of my family. Going to extremes like that makes little sense to me. I drink about wine about twice a week, 2 glasses ea.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 14:51
    @torunn said
    I drink alcohol to easily-controlled excess once a week. It poses no danger to me. I am no longer capable of drinking quantities that would be a danger. And with the occasions being a week apart, there is, of course, no risk of physical dependency.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 14:51
    @mchill said
    Your daughters views are a great deal like those of my family. Going to extremes like that makes little sense to me. I drink about wine about twice a week, 2 glasses ea.
    my wife has a gin and orange 4.30 pm and a whisky and dry around 7 pm, I have a couple of gins and 1 or whiskeys luverly jubbly.
  5. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 14:57
    @torunn said

it all depends
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 14:59
    @torunn said

Your daughter is right.

I myself think I am a very moderate drinker, not every week and small amounts.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 15:001 edit
    @torunn said
    She claims that alcohol is one the most dangerous drugs there are - it's just that we live in a country that accepts alcohol but no other drugs.
    I would quite like to have the freedom to access "other drugs" but I don't think it would be a good idea, at all, for the society in which I live to allow such access . So, I am not concerned about the restriction on my freedom in this matter.

I do, however, wish that the authorities here - in their efforts to protect the citizens - would stop making exaggerated claims about the dangers of certain, less dangerous drugs, because It undermines their credibility when they make claims about the dangers of genuinely dangerous drugs.
  8. Gothenburg
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 15:00
    My daughter claims that the danger with alcohol is that it is extremely addictive - much more than other drugs, except heroin. That's her main objection to alcohol and she means that our society is blind to the dangers because it brings money to the state in form of taxes, as it is a state-owned monopoly.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 15:05
    @torunn said
    My daughter claims that the danger with alcohol is that it is extremely addictive - much more than other drugs, except heroin.
    I am no expert in this but I'd say nicotine is far more addictive than alcohol and probably on a par with heroin.
  10. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 15:09
    @torunn said
    My daughter claims that the danger with alcohol is that it is extremely addictive - much more than other drugs, except heroin. That's her main objection to alcohol and she means that our society is blind to the dangers because it brings money to the state in form of taxes, as it is a state-owned monopoly.
    One problem of course is the question physical and psychiacl addiction. Plus the problem of being offered the drug.
  11. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 15:12
    @fmf said
    I am no expert in this but I'd say nicotine is far more addictive than alcohol and probably on a par with heroin.
    I don't think there are too many days of work lost because of nicotine
    or caffeine for that matter
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 15:13
    @torunn said
    That's her main objection to alcohol and she means that our society is blind to the dangers because it brings money to the state in form of taxes, as it is a state-owned monopoly.
    There is no reason to believe that the people who are bringing in money in the form of taxes are "blind to the dangers" of what it is they are taxing.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 15:15
    @lemondrop said
    I managed to kick the smoking habit started at 13 gave up at 40, find it harder with the booze but the north east of the uk is renown for its drink culture.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 15:16
    @lemondrop said
    If the issue is physical addiction, then I don't see how whether or not one misses days at work is relevant.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 15:17
    @torunn said

I go with what the bible recommends. A few drinks every day is a good stress reliever and for digestion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree