1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 09:132 edits
    Ideas, please, for how one can take some big, well-known commercial concern that provides a widely enjoyed product or service, and that works reasonably well as it is - and then propose to transform it in some sort of undisguisedly greed-driven way, and in so doing utterly ruin in it in a way that the 'outsider' financial strategists and accountants behind it seem completely oblivious to, so much so it seems doomed to fail.
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 10:16
    @FMF
    Superleague?
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 10:23
    The New Coke fiasco back in 2002
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 10:30
    @shallow-blue said
    @FMF
    Superleague?
    Of course. That is what's behind the thread OP. However, I wonder if we can come with ideas for other familiar endeavours in the public domain that could be [potentially] ruined by toxic levels of capitalistic avarice and tunnel vision.
  5. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 12:33
    @shallow-blue said
    @FMF
    Superleague?
    Great current example - Gary Neville quote online!👍
  6. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 12:39
    @chris-guffogg said
    Great current example - Gary Neville quote online!👍
    A league you can't get relegated from isn't a league. It becomes a series of exhibition matches if it is the same clubs over and over. I don't think players will want that. Especially if the authorities ban them from playing internationals and ban the clubs from all other real competitions. They become like the Harlem Globetrotters. Show teams for players who no longer want to compete. I think player power will sink it as a result. I don't think traditional fans would watch it either. It looks like a nonstarter to me.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 12:44
    @fmf said
    Ideas, please, for how one can take some big, well-known commercial concern that provides a widely enjoyed product or service, and that works reasonably well as it is - and then propose to transform it in some sort of undisguisedly greed-driven way, and in so doing utterly ruin in it in a way that the 'outsider' financial strategists and accountants behind it seem completely oblivious to, so much so it seems doomed to fail.
    Completely privatize public libraries and then increase borrowing fees sharply to help teach disadvantaged families a real world lesson about the true value of reading books rather lecturing them about it whilst lending them books for free.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 12:46
    @shallow-blue said
    @FMF
    Superleague?
    Doomed to fail. As is The Hundred perhaps.
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 13:48
    @fmf said
    Of course. That is what's behind the thread OP. However, I wonder if we can come with ideas for other familiar endeavours in the public domain that could be [potentially] ruined by toxic levels of capitalistic avarice and tunnel vision.
    HIT selling out to Disney.
  10. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 15:37
    Phone companies should start charging premium rates for 999 (911) calls.
    People are desperate so will pay anything.
  11. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 15:40
    @the-gravedigger said
    Phone companies should start charging premium rates for 999 (911) calls.
    People are desperate so will pay anything.
    They claim no charge for 911 calls but I am betting they have that calculated in everyone's monthly Phone or cell bill.

-VR
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 15:49
    They should tax renewable energy heavily so that fossil fuels continue to be used. They could use that additional tax revenue to clean up the environment and fight climate change.
  13. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Apr '21 15:55
    @fmf said
    They should tax renewable energy heavily so that fossil fuels continue to be used. They could use that additional tax revenue to clean up the environment and fight climate change.
    If you're lucky you may get to see that in your life time.

-VR
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '21 02:04
    @relentless-red said
    A league you can't get relegated from isn't a league. It becomes a series of exhibition matches if it is the same clubs over and over. I don't think players will want that. Especially if the authorities ban them from playing internationals and ban the clubs from all other real competitions. They become like the Harlem Globetrotters. Show teams for players who no longer ...[text shortened]... as a result. I don't think traditional fans would watch it either. It looks like a nonstarter to me.
    I’m withholding judgment for the time being.

However what I find interesting is the hypocrisy of SKY Sports and their presenters who are complaining about the elitist commercially driven attitudes of clubs when SKY themselves are inextricably in cohorts with the elitist Premier League to extort billions in television rights from the precious “fans” they are falling over themselves to protect.

Gary Neville, one of the commentary poster-boys for SKY Sports having a rant about football clubs making too much money just made me want to punch him in the face. The man is a multimillionaire because of football.

The hypocrisy is thick.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Apr '21 02:181 edit
    @very-rusty said
    If you're lucky you may get to see that in your life time.
    Whoosh

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree