1. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Mar '14 07:51
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    "I do not like Green Eggs and Ham. I do not like them, Sam-I-Am."
    'Hi, Suzi. Do you think you might finally "like Green Eggs and Ham" if you were in love with "Sam-I-Am"?'
    "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
    ~Dr. Seuss'
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    03 Mar '14 17:26
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    'Hi, Suzi. Do you think you might finally "like Green Eggs and Ham" if you were in love with "Sam-I-Am"?'
    "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
    ~Dr. Seuss'
    "Finally"?
  3. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Mar '14 20:48
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    "Finally"?
    'Suzi, if you've not already fallen in love with Sam-I-Am and often shared a morning banquet of sunny side up "Green Eggs and Ham"... well, then, you'll probably be 'depressed and hopeless, lonely' and “All alone! Whether you like it or not, alone is something you'll be quite a lot!” ~Your Friend Since Childhood, ~Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go! and The Lorax'

Postus Scriptus: “Only you can control your future.” “If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good.” "You’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.” -Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!
  4. old pueblo
    Moves
    03 Mar '14 23:23
    'Suzi, if you've not already fallen in love with Sam-I-Am and often shared a morning banquet of sunny side up "Green Eggs and Ham"... well, then, you'll probably be 'depressed and hopeless, lonely' and “All alone! Whether you like it or not, alone is something you'll be quite a lot!” ~Your Friend Since Childhood, ~Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go! an ...[text shortened]... u’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.” -Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!
    If Dr. Seuss actually said that crap, then my esteem for him just hit the basement. I love living alone, personally, and don't think extroverts get to claim that (A) there's anything wrong with it, or (B) that it goes against the norm, simply because they're louder and pushier.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    03 Mar '14 23:543 edits
    Originally posted by Sahuaro
    If Dr. Seuss actually said that crap, then my esteem for him just hit the basement. I love living alone, personally, and don't think extroverts get to claim that (A) there's anything wrong with it, or (B) that it goes against the norm, simply because they're louder and pushier.
    'Suzi, if you've not already fallen in love with Sam-I-Am and often shared a morning banquet of sunny side up "Green Eggs and Ham"... well, then, you'll probably be 'depressed and hopeless, lonely' and “All alone! Whether you like it or not, alone is something you'll be quite a lot!” ~Your Friend Since Childhood, ~Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go! and The Lorax'

Postus Scriptus: “Only you can control your future.” “If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good.” "You’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.” -Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!

Sahuaro, the words in bold belong to Dr. Seuss; the phrase enclosed within apostrophes: 'depressed and hopeless, lonely' were copied from the related topics suggested' at the base of the quotes; the remaining words in jest are mine.

Note: I, too, live alone (as a retired widower and love my first floor apartment overlooking our courtyard) with my self esteem intact. Please see the post again for the first time in context. Apologies for the confusion. -Bob
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    04 Mar '14 00:451 edit
    25 Memorable Dr. Seuss Quotes"
    Posted May 6th, 2013 By Shannon George

"Theodore Seuss Geisel, better known by his pen name of Dr. Seuss, is one of the most beloved children’s authors of all time; for many people, a Dr. Seuss book like Green Eggs and Ham or Hop on Pop was the first book they ever learned how to read. Using humorous rhymes, delightful illustrations, and a wild imagination, Dr. Seuss was perhaps the first author to make reading fun, both for kids and for their parents and teachers. Dr. Seuss’s books also teach important lessons, such as the importance of treating everyone equally, the benefits of being open-minded, and the amazing things you can achieve if you believe in yourself. What’s more, unbeknownst to the children who read them, many of Dr. Seuss’s books were actually subtle satires of political events. Learn the fascinating back-stories of 25 memorable Dr. Seuss quotes."

1. ”You make ‘em, I amuse ‘em.”

About this quote: Seuss is referring to children, of course. While he left the child-making to other folks (Dr. Seuss never had any children of his own), his whole life was devoted to “amusing” children with his books. This quip was quoted in Enter, Conversing (1962) by Clifton Fadiman.

10. “I would not like them here or there. I would not like them anywhere. I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them Sam I Am.”

"About this quote: This quote is from Dr. Seuss’s critically acclaimed 1960 picture book, Green Eggs and Ham. One of the quintessential Dr. Seuss books, Green Eggs and Ham incorporates humor, rhymes, and Seuss’s trademark illustrations, all for the purpose of entertaining young kids and helping them learn how to read. The book only contains a total of 50 words, none of them exceeding five letters except for the word “anywhere.” In Green Eggs and Ham, a character named “Sam I Am” tries to convince his friend to try a dish called “green eggs and ham,” though his friend is very resistant to the idea, as he expresses in the above quote. Finally, his friend tries it and discovers that he actually likes this strange dish! The moral of the story here is to be open to trying new things, because you just might like them."

http://www.quotery.com/25-memorable-dr-seuss-quotes/
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Mar '14 16:50
    'Suzi, if you've not already fallen in love with Sam-I-Am and often shared a morning banquet of sunny side up "Green Eggs and Ham"... well, then, you'll probably be 'depressed and hopeless, lonely' and “All alone! Whether you like it or not, alone is something you'll be quite a lot!” ~Your Friend Since Childhood, ~Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go! an ...[text shortened]... u’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.” -Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!
    You seem to assume much.
  8. Joined
    23 Nov '09
    Moves
    04 Mar '14 23:26
    [quote][b]"5 Lessons in Life from Dr. Seuss"

"1. Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.

2. Why fit in when you were born to stand out?

3. You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.

4. Be who you are and say what you ...[text shortened]... istants are now available in this forum for examinations and consultations whenever needs arise.[/b]
    Thank ... you are not my father.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Mar '14 06:41
    "On the 110th Anniversary of Dr. Seuss's Birth His Quotes Continue to Inspire"
    Jeryl Brunner Posted: 03/04/2014 11:36 am EST Updated: 03/04/2014 6:59 pm EST

"One hundred and 10 years ago on March 2nd, Dr. Seuss, the beloved children's book author and illustrator, was born in Springfield Massachusetts. His brewmaster father and mother who loved reciting rhymes to her children to lull them to sleep, named their baby son Theodor Seuss Geisel. But in college, he changed it to Dr. Seuss.

Dr. Seuss, didn't find writing success easily. In fact, his first children's book, And to Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street, was rejected by 27 publishers. It was finally published in 1937 when Dr. Seuss was 33. In fact, he was all ready to burn the manuscript but his former Dartmouth classmate-turned-publisher purchased the rights to the book.

Dr. Seuss went on to illustrate and write 44 children's books like Green Eggs and Ham, Horton Hears a Who!, Oh, the Places You'll Go and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. He won won Academy awards, a Peabody and the Pulitzer Prize. And his books have been translated into more than 20 languages and have sold 600 million copies worldwide.

Dr. Seuss passed away in 1991 when he was 87, but his work continues to inspire. Here are some of his most beloved quotes." (For more of Jeryl Brunner's stories, read her regular column in Parade online.)

7. "Maybe Christmas.." he thought "Doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more."

11. "Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!"

12. "Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment, until it becomes a memory."

13."You're off to great places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So get on your way!"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeryl-brunner/on-the-100th-anniversary-_b_4891306.html
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Mar '14 23:151 edit
    "On Beyond Zebra!" From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"On Beyond Zebra! is an illustrated children's book by Theodor Geisel, better known as Dr. Seuss. This book fits into the genre of literary nonsense

Plot
    The young narrator, not content with the confines of the ordinary alphabet, invents additional letters beyond Z, with a fantastic creature corresponding to each new letter. For example, the letter "FLOOB" corresponds to the Floob-Boober-Bab-Boober-Bubs, which have large buoyant heads and float serenely in the water. In order, the letters, followed by the animals that correspond to them, are:

YUZZ (Yuzz-a-ma-Tuzz), WUM (Wumbus), UM (Umbus), HUMPF (Humpf-Humpf-a-Dumpfer), FUDDLE (Miss Fuddle-dee-Duddle), GLIKK (Glikker), NUH (Nutches), SNEE (Sneedle), QUAN (Quandary), THNAD (Thnadners), SPAZZ (Spazzim), FLOOB (Floob-Boober-Bab-Boober-Bubs), ZATZ (Zatz-it), JOGG (Jogg-oons), FLUNN (Flunnel), ITCH (Itch-a-pods), YEKK (Yekko), VROO (Vrooms), and HI! (High Gargel-orum).

The book ends with an unnamed letter that apparently is a monogram of all 26 letters in the existing Latin alphabet from A to Z. A list of all the additional letters is shown at the end.

Analysis
    Judith and Neil Morgan, Geisel's biographers, note that most of the letters resemble elaborate monograms, "perhaps in Old Persian". These letters are not officially encoded in Unicode, but the independent ConScript Unicode Registry provides an unofficial assignment of code points in the Unicode Private Use Area for them."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Beyond_Zebra!

Hope you're enjoying our thread. Best wishes. ~Dr. Seuss & "Floob-Boober-Bab-Boober-Bubs"-Bobbby
  11. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    09 Mar '14 02:072 edits
    "Sarah Palin's CPAC Speech Might As Well Be The Next Dr. Seuss Book"
    The Huffington Post | by Chris Gentilviso Posted: 03/08/2014 7:26 pm EST Updated: 03/08/2014 7:59 pm EST

"Former GOP vice presidential candidate and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R) took full advantage of her CPAC platform on Saturday, rewriting Dr. Seuss' classic "Green Eggs And Ham" with her own version on the Obama presidency. A few minutes into her speech, Palin took out a copy of the book, teasing it as something she would read to her youngest child, Trig Palin.

"Little Trig, lucky little fellow," she said. "His bedtime story goes something like this."

I do not like this, Uncle Sam.
    I do not like this healthcare scam.
    I do not like these dirty crooks
    Or how they cry and cook the books
    I do not like when Congress steals
    I do not like their crony deals
    I do not like 'oh yes, we can'
    I do not like this spending spree
    We're smart, we know nothing's free
    I do not like reporters' smug replies
    When I complain about their lies
    I do not like this kind of hope
    And we won't take it
    Nope, nope, nope!

Video, CPAC, Sarah Palin Cpac, Conservative Political Action Conference, 2014 Conservative Political Action Conference, 2014 Cpac, Conservative Political Action Conference 2014, Sarah Palin Cpac Speech, Cpac 2014, Politics News

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/08/sarah-palin-cpac-speech_n_4899460.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

Dr. Seuss would have been delighted to see that the format of his books for children was still alive and well thirteen years after his death in an adult arena. "Posterity will take care of the mediocre." (C. Murdock) Authenticity has a life of its own.
  12. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Mar '14 16:07
    [b]"Sarah Palin's CPAC Speech Might As Well Be The Next Dr. Seuss Book"
    The Huffington Post | by Chris Gentilviso Posted: 03/08/2014 7:26 pm EST Updated: 03/08/2014 7:59 pm EST

"Former GOP vice presidential candidate and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R) took full advantage of her CPAC platform on Saturday, rewriting Dr. Seuss' classic "Green Eggs A ...[text shortened]... na. "Posterity will take care of the mediocre." (C. Murdock) Authenticity has a life of its own.[/b]
    this became quite political...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree