1. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    17 May '22 07:29
    @no1marauder said
    Do we really have to go over this AGAIN?
    Yeah and perhaps this time you can post an honest answer and agree that Putin did not invade Ukraine in order to prevent them from joining nato, that was done in 2014 just like he’s prevented Georgia joining by invading south assetia.
    He invaded Ukraine because it’s the jewel in the old tsarist empire and that is what he has always intended to do. You can pretend to be stupid for Putin if you like but do not insist that others join you.
  2. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    17 May '22 07:35
    @no1marauder said
    This is a useless, legalistic argument.

NATO officials have made it clear that IF Ukraine decides to join, it will be allowed to. They said it in 2008. Then the country elected a President who opposed NATO membership in 2010, so the issue lie dormant until 2014 when he was overthrown in an illegal coup, Shortly after that coup:

"The door remains open for Ukraine to ...[text shortened]... s and the Ukraine have been "re-evaluated".

You're either being incredibly naïve or disingenuous.
    Well that’s a lie, what they’ve said repeatedly is that anyone is entitled to apply to join and will be accepted as long as they meet the criteria and Ukraine have not met the criteria of not being involved in an ongoing conflict since 2014. What NATO quite rightly does not accept is Russia or anyone else outside NATO vetoing another sovereign state from joining or applying to join NATO.
  3. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    17 May '22 07:41
    @no1marauder said
    I hardly care about the errors that what you think "most posters" here would make.

I speculated about what may have caused the Russian invasion in February in the thread I already linked to. I never said "THE reason" was "aggressive NATO expansion". That factor has surely aggravated the situation has had NATO's metamorphosis into a tool of neocon ambitions to cement permanent Western worldwide domination, however and it is dishonest to claim otherwise.
    And you misrepresented reality again to cover up the blatant error of your original stance that Russia would not invade Ukraine even whilst Putin built up his invasion force on Ukraines border 🙄
    So then you had to deflect the blame into your favourite boogeyman without explaining what they did in the very short space of time between you claiming that they wouldn’t and them actually invading.
    You should really accept by now that your analytical skills have deserted you on the whole Russia / Ukraine thing.
  4. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    17 May '22 07:472 edits
    @no1marauder said
    The point is there is no requirement that MAP be used at all, so your whole "procedural" argument is BS.

IF NATO countries want to let in the Ukraine in the near future, they can. Here's what the NATO Charter says:

Article 10
    [b]The Parties may, by unanimous agreement, invite any other European State in a position to further the principles of this Treaty and to con ...[text shortened]...

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/North_Atlantic_Treaty

That's it; everything else can be waived.
    I guess you missed the “UNANIMOUS’,thing, even Sweden and Finland are going to have to do some horse trading to get around Erdogan’s potential veto. With actual territorial disputes between Ukraine and Russia they were never getting to join until Russia itself facilitated it, like Putin your whole NATO rationale for his empire reclamation project is utter nonsense and given the rape, murder, torture and mayhem being visited upon Ukraine actually quite disgusting.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 May '22 11:01
    @kevcvs57 said
    And you misrepresented reality again to cover up the blatant error of your original stance that Russia would not invade Ukraine even whilst Putin built up his invasion force on Ukraines border 🙄
    So then you had to deflect the blame into your favourite boogeyman without explaining what they did in the very short space of time between you claiming that they wouldn’t and them ...[text shortened]... lly accept by now that your analytical skills have deserted you on the whole Russia / Ukraine thing.
    I made no such "original stance"; this is another lie that you keep parading about in this Forum.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 May '22 11:03
    @kevcvs57 said
    Well that’s a lie, what they’ve said repeatedly is that anyone is entitled to apply to join and will be accepted as long as they meet the criteria and Ukraine have not met the criteria of not being involved in an ongoing conflict since 2014. What NATO quite rightly does not accept is Russia or anyone else outside NATO vetoing another sovereign state from joining or applying to join NATO.
    That's utter and complete nonsense; I've given several cites where NATO officials have stated that Ukraine is going to be a member after 2014. None have ever stated that the ongoing conflict in the Donbass had to be settled before membership.

You guys really just make s**t up.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 May '22 11:30
    @kevcvs57 said
    I guess you missed the “UNANIMOUS’,thing, even Sweden and Finland are going to have to do some horse trading to get around Erdogan’s potential veto. With actual territorial disputes between Ukraine and Russia they were never getting to join until Russia itself facilitated it, like Putin your whole NATO rationale for his empire reclamation project is utter nonsense and given the rape, murder, torture and mayhem being visited upon Ukraine actually quite disgusting.
    Your policy preferences will insure that much more "rape, murder, torture and mayhem" will be visited on the People of the Ukraine. That country is being destroyed with tens of thousands of death and counting, close to a 1/3 of its People being domestic or external refugees and its economy (which was in poor shape anyway) being bankrupted. And your choice is to keep the war going in the vain hope some smashing military victory can be achieved against Russia's superior military and economic resources.

"Fight to the last Ukrainian" seems to be kev's motto.

Realistic peace talks are needed NOW without preconditions.
  8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    18 May '22 14:58
    @no1marauder said
    Your policy preferences will insure that much more "rape, murder, torture and mayhem" will be visited on the People of the Ukraine. That country is being destroyed with tens of thousands of death and counting, close to a 1/3 of its People being domestic or external refugees and its economy (which was in poor shape anyway) being bankrupted. And your choice is to keep the w ...[text shortened]... Ukrainian" seems to be kev's motto.

Realistic peace talks are needed NOW without preconditions.
    No that’s actually the Ukrainian motto, and that’s why Putin is ultimately going to get his ass handed to him in Ukraine.
    This idea that you get Putin to the negotiating table by cutting off the Ukrainian armies access to the weapons they need to defend the territory they have left is one of your sillier and more obvious pro Putin assertions.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 May '22 15:20
    https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/nato-membership-requires-long-multi-step-process/2590397
  10. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    18 May '22 15:241 edit
    @no1marauder said
    That's utter and complete nonsense; I've given several cites where NATO officials have stated that Ukraine is going to be a member after 2014. None have ever stated that the ongoing conflict in the Donbass had to be settled before membership.

You guys really just make s**t up.
    No I don’t think you have and even if you did one random reps opinion does not mean diddlysquat.
    Care to explain why Ukraine and Georgia are not in nato even though they’ve applied.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    18 May '22 18:312 edits
    @no1marauder said
    And if they decide the Ukraine does then they can invite it in; no need for any extra steps.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/18/russia-ukraine-live-updates.html

Finland and Sweden formally applied to join NATO on Wednesday marking another step toward the Western military alliance’s expansion, although the full accession process could take a year

Someone should tell Sweden and Finland that there's "no need for extra steps".
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 May '22 07:55
    @kevcvs57 said
    No I don’t think you have and even if you did one random reps opinion does not mean diddlysquat.
    Care to explain why Ukraine and Georgia are not in nato even though they’ve applied.
    Some nations have waited over 20 years after applying to become accepted. Certain conditions must be met.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/nato-membership-requires-long-multi-step-process/2590397
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 May '22 11:15
    @metal-brain said
    Some nations have waited over 20 years after applying to become accepted. Certain conditions must be met.

Liar! No extra steps are needed!
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    19 May '22 12:05
    @metal-brain said

Yeah I’m pretty sure one of them is not being in an ongoing territorial dispute or pre-existing state of war for obvious reasons
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 May '22 12:14
    @kevcvs57 said
    Yeah I’m pretty sure one of them is not being in an ongoing territorial dispute or pre-existing state of war for obvious reasons
    Show me the language in the NATO Charter that says that please.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree