1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    10 May '22 18:26
    UN receiving ‘credible’ information about Ukrainian troops torturing Russian prisoners, official says

https://www.yahoo.com/news/un-receiving-credible-information-ukrainian-134623492.html
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    10 May '22 19:07
    @metal-brain said
    UN receiving ‘credible’ information about Ukrainian troops torturing Russian prisoners, official says

https://www.yahoo.com/news/un-receiving-credible-information-ukrainian-134623492.html
    The Russian soldiers invaded their country and are there to kill the Ukrainians and destroy their entire country. Why exactly should anyone care if the Ukrainians torture the Russian soldiers that they capture?
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    10 May '22 19:22
    @metal-brain said

The "torture" mentioned in the article from Ukraine is forcing soldiers includes “being coerced to make statements, apologies and confessions". Yawn.

Meanwhile, your article says Russia was accused of "targeting civilians" and "raping women".

Your thread was yet another regrettable waste of time.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    10 May '22 19:24
    @quackquack said
    The Russian soldiers invaded their country and are there to kill the Ukrainians and destroy their entire country. Why exactly should anyone care if the Ukrainians torture the Russian soldiers that they capture?
    Soldiers are just people following orders. It's Putin and the Russian government that are the real criminals. Imagine if Afghanistan tortured American soldiers: would you be okay with that?
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    10 May '22 19:32
    @vivify said
    Soldiers are just people following orders. It's Putin and the Russian government that are the real criminals. Imagine if Afghanistan tortured American soldiers: would you be okay with that?
    Your question is only a parallel if you believe American soldiers in Afghanistan are/were there to destroy a legitimate government, kill their citizens and destroy their way of life. I don't even see Russia even pretend that they are protecting themselves from terrorist or anything which if believed would justify their invasion.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    10 May '22 20:23
    @quackquack said
    Your question is only a parallel if you believe American soldiers in Afghanistan are/were there to destroy a legitimate government, kill their citizens and destroy their way of life. I don't even see Russia even pretend that they are protecting themselves from terrorist or anything which if believed would justify their invasion.
    Again, soldiers are just pawns in a war. Russia is a government known for killing or jailing dissidents; refusal to follow commands as a Russian soldier puts their own lives in danger. You still agree they should be tortured?

This is not a defense of Russia; as the article in the OP points out, Russian soldiers were accused of rape. Those specific Russians should be tried and punished. But there's no excuse for torture.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/01/world/europe/russia-troops-pentagon.html

Some Russian troops are surrendering or sabotaging vehicles rather than fighting

Soldiers are human beings. Remember that.
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    10 May '22 20:45
    @vivify said
    Again, soldiers are just pawns in a war. Russia is a government known for killing or jailing dissidents; refusal to follow commands as a Russian soldier puts their own lives in danger. You still agree they should be tortured?

This is not a defense of Russia; as the article in the OP points out, Russian soldiers were accused of rape. Those specific Russians should be tr ...[text shortened]... dering or sabotaging vehicles rather than fighting[/b]

Soldiers are human beings. Remember that.
    Once a country (Russia) hires peoples (soldiers) to kill others (Ukrainians), I expect the target (Ukrainians) to respond in any means necessary and to inflict damage back in every possible manner. Torturing people who are hired to kill you doesn't bother or surprise me one bit. I honestly am surprised when people think countries who are literally trying to destroy and kill each other will or should obey rules.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    10 May '22 22:032 edits
    @quackquack said
    Your question is only a parallel if you believe American soldiers in Afghanistan are/were there to destroy a legitimate government, kill their citizens and destroy their way of life.
    Countless civilians were killed in Afghanistan by the U.S. military, including women and children.

Would you have supported the torture of any captured American soldiers?
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 May '22 23:30
    @vivify
    Well then, show us the towns completely bombed out like in the south of Ukraine, or bombing of maternity hospitals or schools with children inside, deliberate murder of THOUSANDS of civilians there. I think there is no comparison to the barbarism by the Russians on Ukranian civilians.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 May '22 00:03
    @sonhouse said
    I think there is no comparison to the barbarism by the Russians on Ukranian civilians.
    So far, 3,000 Ukrainian civilians have died. 50,000 civilians were killed in Afghanistan.

But making this into a contest of which invaded nation suffered more brutality is completely irrelevant. Civilians, including women and children, were brutality killed by U.S. drone strikes, repeatedly. How many deaths of innocent people are needed before U.S. soldiers are worthy of torture?
  11. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    11 May '22 03:29
    @quackquack said
    Uhuh.

Moron.
  12. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    11 May '22 11:35
    @vivify said
    Countless civilians were killed in Afghanistan by the U.S. military, including women and children.

You have a silly idea of a war. Russia is killing Ukrainians, destroying everything in their country, forcing millions to flee the country. I think any response is justified. I would have no problem if they tortured Russia preschoolers and I certainly have no problem if they torture the agents of this destruction. Your idea that Ukranian have to respond politely while being invaded and killed is a joke.
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 May '22 12:15
    @quackquack said
    You have a silly idea of a war. Russia is killing Ukrainians, destroying everything in their country, forcing millions to flee the country. I think any response is justified. I would have no problem if they tortured Russia preschoolers and I certainly have no problem if they torture the agents of this destruction. Your idea that Ukranian have to respond politely while being invaded and killed is a joke.
    This may be the third time you've ran from a simple question, and I'm predicting a fourth.

After thousands of civilians, women and children were brutality killed by the invading U.S. military, should any American soldiers have been tortured?
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    11 May '22 13:44
    @vivify said
    So far, 3,000 Ukrainian civilians have died. 50,000 civilians were killed in Afghanistan.

But making this into a contest of which invaded nation suffered more brutality is completely irrelevant. Civilians, including women and children, were brutality killed by U.S. drone strikes, repeatedly. How many deaths of innocent people are needed before U.S. soldiers are worthy of torture?
    I get your point and it’s a good one but this war is only 3 months old whilst the US led NATO war in Afghanistan took 20 years to create that horrendous figure.
    It’s also very obvious by now that the Kremlin is specifically targeting civilians and civilian infrastructure along with strategic military targets just like Chechnya and Syria. It’s their go to game plan.
  15. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    11 May '22 13:511 edit
    @vivify said

I believe the US goal in Afghanistan is completely different than Russia's goal in the Ukraine. Thus the justified response is completely different. But if you think the United States is in Afghanistan simply to kill, displace and take over a legitimate country (which I don't) then any response is justified.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree