1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 01:36
    Have any of these new variants been truly isolated?
  2. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 02:33
    @shavixmir said
    There’s a British, a South African and possibly a Brazilian (shaved?) version of Covid-19 sweeping many countries.

Are these terms equally racist as “The Chinese virus”?
    The British variant of Corona

Racist
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 03:57
    @earl-of-trumps said
    The British variant of Corona

Racist
    The point being. You attacked the left over the term “British variant”, but the left has already, months ago, pointed out this discrepancy in the “racist” angle.

After which there follows a debate (and considering you don’t even comprehend the above, I’m pretty certain you won’t understand the following either) that context of a term determines, to a large extent, the level of racism in the name.

And then an attempt to create a workable name-system for mutations to a disease.

But to sum it up for you: you are wrong.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 05:11
    Summary:
    In Chinese wet-markets, unique epicenters for transmission of potential viral pathogens, new genes may be acquired or existing genes modified through various mechanisms such as genetic reassortment, recombination and mutation. The wet-markets, at closer proximity to humans, with high viral burden or strains of higher transmission efficiency, facilitate transmission of the viruses to humans.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16940861/
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 07:12
    @divegeester said
    Summary:
    In Chinese wet-markets, unique epicenters for transmission of potential viral pathogens, new genes may be acquired or existing genes modified through various mechanisms such as genetic reassortment, recombination and mutation. The wet-markets, at closer proximity to humans, with high viral burden or strains of higher transmission efficiency, facilitate transmission of the viruses to humans.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16940861/
    https://www.newsweek.com/dr-fauci-backed-controversial-wuhan-lab-millions-us-dollars-risky-coronavirus-research-1500741
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 08:49
    @shavixmir said
    So it’s not the term “The Chinese virus” which makes it racist, it’s how it is used? Or who uses it?

I.e. there is nothing inherently racist to the statement, it depends on context?
    Still doesn’t explain why it’s not just called Covid19? It’s less syllables than ‘Chinese virus’ and the idea that some incompetent leaders can deflect from their failures in protecting their electorate by constantly pointing at China as some sort of culprit is problematic going forward.
    We all need to take ownership of this virus and recognise that encroachment into wild habitats is a global problem with global consequences.
    I don’t have a problem with variants being labelled by their point of detection other than it’s misleading. It’s the countries with the best detection infrastructure that will have the most variants named after them. I think for practical purposes the Kent Variant would be a better label in case British labs detect another variant first.
  7. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 14:59
    @shavixmir said
    The point being. You attacked the left over the term “British variant”, but the left has already, months ago, pointed out this discrepancy in the “racist” angle.

After which there follows a debate (and considering you don’t even comprehend the above, I’m pretty certain you won’t understand the following either) that context of a term determines, to a large extent, the le ...[text shortened]... reate a workable name-system for mutations to a disease.

*I* make the rules, not the politically correct.

racist.
  8. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 15:05
    @kevcvs57 - Still doesn’t explain why it’s not just called Covid19?

Call it whatever you want.

Just do not say "Chinese flu" is racist, all the while utilizing the terms - British, South African, and Brazilian variants.

otherwise, it i not only racist, it is discrimination.,
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 15:41
    I think I read somewhere that the UK does half the world's genome sequencing for the variants, so hardly surprising one was found here. Mutations are part and parcel of viruses and it is highly likely there are variants originating in a great many countries that haven't yet been identified. (Or may never be identified).
  10. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 16:08
    @earl-of-trumps said
    @kevcvs57 - Still doesn’t explain why it’s not just called Covid19?

Call it whatever you want.

Just do not say "Chinese flu" is racist, all the while utilizing the terms - British, South African, and Brazilian variants.

otherwise, it i not only racist, it is discrimination.,
    What not even if it is.
    Why are you pretending to not understand that it’s better to stick with scientific descriptors given it’s a problem that will only be addressed by cold science.
    I’m going to call it the ‘Climate Change and Habitat Loss” virus or C.C.H.L from now on because it seems more accurate.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 16:22
    @shavixmir
    When Trump called it 'Kungflu' he was being explicitly racist.
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 19:50
    @sonhouse said
    @shavixmir
    When Trump called it 'Kungflu' he was being explicitly racist.
    Yes. Yes he was.
    I’m not arguing that in the least.
    And my point wasn’t even if the Chinese flu is racist or not.

It’s if it is racist, then so is the English variant.

But the debate has been had and the end conclusion is: depends on context.

Fine by me.
    trump’s comments are obviously outside of any normal context.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Mar '21 08:47
    @shavixmir said

After which there follows a debate (and considering you don’t even comprehend the above, I’m pretty certain you won’t understand the following either) that context of a term determines, to a large extent, the le ...[text shortened]... reate a workable name-system for mutations to a disease.

Plus, are the British really a race?

I'm thinking no.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Mar '21 09:29
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I think I read somewhere that the UK does half the world's genome sequencing for the variants, so hardly surprising one was found here. Mutations are part and parcel of viruses and it is highly likely there are variants originating in a great many countries that haven't yet been identified. (Or may never be identified).
    Agreed. It’s odd that some people seem to think it’s going away, it’s not, it’s here forever like the flu and common cold.

What will change is the frequency of fatality as populations become resistant and mutations less harmful but more infectious.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Mar '21 09:30
    @suzianne said
    Plus, are the British really a race?
    I'm thinking no.
    Of course not! No more than Scandinavians or Americans.

Dumbest question award is in the post.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree