1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Jan '21 06:24
    There’s a British, a South African and possibly a Brazilian (shaved?) version of Covid-19 sweeping many countries.

Are these terms equally racist as “The Chinese virus”?
  2. RSA
    Moves
    17 Jan '21 06:39
    @shavixmir said
    There’s a British, a South African and possibly a Brazilian (shaved?) version of Covid-19 sweeping many countries.

Are these terms equally racist as “The Chinese virus”?
    I think the connotations of each are different. Because the virus first emerged in China (we think), it is the intention of many people who use the phrase "the Chinese virus" to blame China for the pandemic. I don't think the same is true when people say "the South African variant" or "the Brazilian variant" - one gets the impression that this is a simple a way to differentiate between the variants.

Many people blame China for the virus's emergence there. I don't think anyone blames Brazil, Britain or South Africa. I think that says something about people's biases.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '21 06:40

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '21 06:471 edit

5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Jan '21 07:06
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    The reason it wasn’t called the US or Canadian flu, is because most countries in 1917/1918 banned it from being mentioned to not demoralize the troops fighting in the war.
    Spain did report on it and the name stuck.

There is an international team in Wuhan, as we speak (I wonder if they’re called the Wuhan Clan), who in one week (after quuarantine) will conduct two weeks of research, together with Chinese viroligists to discover, where the virus started, etc.

They can see by certain things (I presume something in the RNA, but I was only paying half attention) how original the strain is, and everything does point towards the Wuhan area. Chinese experts concur. The Chinese government is... well... the Chinese government and would prefer to blame anyone else. As they do in their propaganda.
    Luckily their scientists are more knowledge driven and have convinced the government that this research is needed to see if information can be found to stop it happening again, wherever it pops its ugly crowned head.
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Jan '21 07:08
    @ashiitaka said
    I think the connotations of each are different. Because the virus first emerged in China (we think), it is the intention of many people who use the phrase "the Chinese virus" to blame China for the pandemic. I don't think the same is true when people say "the South African variant" or "the Brazilian variant" - one gets the impression that this is a simple a way to different ...[text shortened]... nk anyone blames Brazil, Britain or South Africa. I think that says something about people's biases.
    So it’s not the term “The Chinese virus” which makes it racist, it’s how it is used? Or who uses it?

I.e. there is nothing inherently racist to the statement, it depends on context?
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '21 07:48

8. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '21 07:50

9. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '21 07:512 edits

10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Jan '21 08:04
    I don’t ignore what you are saying.
    However, the general consensus (by Chinese and international experts) is that it originated near Wuhan.

It’s a WHO based group doing the research there, with an international team, including Chinese experts.

That antibodies were found in blood samples from September 2019 in Lombardie does say nothing about origination.
    As pointed out by scientists, there are multiple reasons this could be. One of them being that other countries have not rechecked blood samples from before the pandemic.

There is every probability that Covid-19 was circulating through the world’s population long before it was discovered in December 2019.

As I stated, you can see in a virus if it’s mutated from A or not.
    And everything at the moment is pointing towards A being the Wuhan region.

They’re not out there doing the research because they have no clue as to what they’re doing.

https://apnews.com/article/who-looking-wuhan-coronavirus-origin-fb791cfdbad2f7db643f790ae4cccc8c
  11. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Jan '21 08:05
    Yes. And I’m asking, if “The Chinese virus” is racist, isn’t “the British variant” equally racist?
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Jan '21 08:07
    Oh please.
    This isn’t even about China or Chinese racism.

It’s about context. And if you don’t get that, then perhaps you’re too wrapped up in your victimhood to actually participate.
  13. RSA
    Moves
    17 Jan '21 08:19
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/uk-variant-covid-b117/2021/01/16/b559d11a-5739-11eb-acc5-92d2819a1ccb_story.html

I just stumbled upon this article. It covers most of what has been written in this thread.
  14. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Jan '21 08:30
    @ashiitaka said
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/uk-variant-covid-b117/2021/01/16/b559d11a-5739-11eb-acc5-92d2819a1ccb_story.html

I just stumbled upon this article. It covers most of what has been written in this thread.
    I didn’t even think about how they should be named.
    Obviously B117 is madness. At least call it B007...

It’s fine and dandy calling Corona Sars-Cov-2 or Covid-19.
    But when you get down to mutations, how many will be recognisable with .3a or what-not added to it.

I personally have no problem naming things after places. But as you said, context is everything and if people are adding value to the name, then a better system has to be used.

I reckon I would go with dates.

So, you’d have
    Covid-19 (original strain)
    Covid-19.20-11 (UK variant)
    Covid-19.20-11.1 (South African variant)
    Covid-19.21-01 (a new variant to be found this month, as an example).

Then at least, if not origin, time-line is there for all to see.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jan '21 08:321 edit

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree