1. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 01:02
    The CEO was invited by Trump to make some remarks, and that CEO said some nice things about Trump.

Now AOC and a bunch of other people are boycotting Goya and offering their own adobo recipes and preferred alternate brands.

One thing: If this CEO had declined Trump's invitation, Trump himself would probably be trying to destroy the company. So how are AOC and the other boycotters any different from Trump?

The more important thing: This used to be a free country where the right to free speech was not only affirmed in the Bill of Rights, but [something vague that no1 or one of the other historians might have to help out on], I remember from grade school in the 1960s there was some guy who said he would defend to the death the right of some other guy to have a different opinion (or something like that).

But nowadays, no matter the better lifestyle for many compared with former days, and no matter the tech advances, it seems we are regressing into mob rule -- of which boycotts and cancel culture are clear examples -- which the nation's founders probably foresaw and tried to guard against with the system of governance they devised.

BTW, I don't think Trump is a builder. I think he is a destroyer. But I will continue to buy Goya products.
  2. Joined
    09 Jan '20
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 01:43
    @caesar-salad said
    One thing: If this CEO had declined Trump's invitation, Trump himself would probably be trying to destroy the company. So how are AOC and the other boycotters any different from Trump?
    Trump could GAF if the CEO declined his invitation.
    You are just making up silly chit.
  3. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 02:00
    @dood111 said
    Trump could GAF if the CEO declined his invitation.
    You are just making up silly chit.
    Yeah, he probably could. He seems hypersensitive that way.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 02:01
    @caesar-salad
    Well, no more Goya guitars for ME🙂
  5. S. Korea
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 02:18
    But nowadays, no matter the better lifestyle for many compared with former days, and no matter the tech advances, it seems we are regressing into mob rule -- of which boycotts and cancel culture are clear examples -- which the nation's founders probably foresaw and tried to guard against with the system of governance they devised.

100% accurate post.

Even if you are on the left, you have to recognize this trend, and be alarmed that we are no longer practicing civil discourse but now becoming actively hostile to one another.

When there is hostility, there's not really democracy as it should be practiced, by the threat of mob rule.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 02:26

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    09 Jan '20
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 02:30
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Ya mean slavery was OK because it was what most people wanted back in the day?
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 02:481 edit
    @Dood111
    And it was ok in Roman times for people to be chopped to death in the Colosseum but we don't do that any more, times advance, If I remember right, I might be wrong, but I THINK we had some kind of minor conflict about the issue of slaver 150 odd years ago.....

So it was ok in the SOUTH but not the north but the slavery issue is still with us in the ABSOLUTE stance by white nationalists that whites are INHERENTLY superior.

THAT will take hundreds of more years to weed out.

The slave traders are the ones who brought black slaves to the colonies and such and the south STILL considers them inferior.

That can only be defeated by real education reforms and killing the fake history the South has built up about the civil war.

They claim it was not about slavery but about money.

But they don't want to go into just what MAKES money in the south and that was in fact slave labor, the bosses get rich when they don't even feel obligated to feed their slaves properly and to keep them academically suppressed for CENTURIES with almost ZERO medical attention.

And then they cry "They are inferior'.

Whites can't IMAGINE what it is like to not want to go outside for fear a white cop will just target them for the crime of being born black.
  9. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 02:50
    @sonhouse said
    @caesar-salad
    Well, no more Goya guitars for ME🙂
    Ibañez guitars for me, not that I actually can or do play.
  10. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 02:54
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    In moments like this, I appreciate the "slow down" obstacles in our system.

Otherwise we should be locking up maskless people in psychiatric hospitals, à la Stalin. Not to mention everyone who has the "wrong" political ideas.
  11. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 03:011 edit
    As for Goya products, I appreciate the pull-tab on the top of the cans, and that their cans of black beans seem much fuller than other brands.
  12. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 03:57
    @caesar-salad said
    No, boycotting a company's products is not "mob rule" any more than exhorting people to vote against a candidate for political office is "mob rule."
  13. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 08:06
    @dood111 said
    Ya mean slavery was OK because it was what most people wanted back in the day?
    Hard to judge morals are, when contemplating history.

I wonder if ever there was a time that the majority of people supported slavery.

I am sure there were times when a majority didn’t actively question the practise of slavery.
    And that, in itself, doesn’t justify slavery or their latent attitudes.

Perhaps there are things you should be questioning now?
  14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 08:33
    We always were able to just not buy a brand. I don't like the label on product X and i just won't buy it. Some cosmetics do animal testing, i just won't buy it. Some sneaker company decides to give an endorsement contract to a football player you think is anti-american, you don't buy those sneakers. Or a certain brand of coffee machine.
    I however think Goya will feel this public outrage much more than Nike ever did that some rednecks won't by their shoes anymore.

What you snowflakes are whining about is that we're organizing our dissent and making the boycotts more effective than ever.

What you snowflakes are complaining about is that it seems there are more of us than there are of you.

You are fine with boycotts, just in a bit of panic that ours are more effective than yours.
  15. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    12 Jul '20 09:01
    That masterpiece painted by Goya?
    Yeah, I'm not buying that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree