1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 04:11
    Make of it what you will, but this is the sort of good news story that warms the heart and makes me giggle for the rest of the day!

From the BBC:

Serial Number 10 (SN10) touched down in Boca Chica, Texas - in contrast to its predecessors SN8 and SN9, which crashed into the ground.
    SpaceX will be hugely encouraged by the test and the fact that the prototype successfully executed its in-flight manoeuvres and managed to make a reasonably soft landing. These milestones will give the company confidence as it moves forward with the ambitious concept.

But that wasn't the end of the story. The next-generation space vehicle put down heavily on its extended legs.
    A fire then developed around its base and eight minutes later SN10 blew itself apart on the landing pad.
  2. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 15:111 edit
    The predecessors, SN8 and SN9 crashed upon trying to land and SPACEX was not at all concerned.

The reason then was, the final version (SN10), unlike the predecessors, will operate with a third engine. Success.
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 15:39
    @earl-of-trumps said
    The predecessors, SN8 and SN9 crashed upon trying to land and SPACEX was not at all concerned.

The reason then was, the final version (SN10), unlike the predecessors, will operate with a third engine. Success.
    Uh... it blew up.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 16:23
    @shavixmir
    Picky picky🙂
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 19:47
    @sonhouse said
    @shavixmir
    Picky picky🙂
    I just love a happy ending.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Mar '21 20:511 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Mar '21 19:22
    @shavixmir
    Of course there will be failures and the fact the latest one actually landed but you could see a fire breaking out at the last minute and then explode, just shows their engineers have to redouble their efforts, figure out what died, fix it so the next one won't blow on landing.

I think they will nail it eventually. It will be a great boon to the space program if super large boosters can be reused.

Musk has already proven the case for the smaller rockets he had engineered, those rockets are landing back at something like a 90% success rate.

The big guy will follow but maybe it will take a couple of years to nail it down.
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    05 Mar '21 21:01
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    They’re reading better romance novels than I, then.

The most romantic novel I’ve read in 30 years was Schindler’s arc...
    and I was expecting a comedy!
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Mar '21 01:50

10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Mar '21 17:15
    @Duchess64
    Boy are you paranoid. I APPLAUDED the Chinese rover landing on the moon and applaud the Chinese probe and lander which may land on Mars and I applaud the UAE probe to Mars.
    The only thing I would not applaud is if some country, including the US, hid data from the world in an ostensibly scientific mission.
    I don't think China would do that.
  11. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    06 Mar '21 19:05
    Maybe Shav was thinking of getting a haircut in Thailand. 😆
  12. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    06 Mar '21 19:07
    I'll wait till they play table tennis on the moon.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Mar '21 21:034 edits

14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Mar '21 22:08
    @Duchess64
    I resent the way you put me in the same category as those thinking Asians are less intelligent as whites and the like.

I work with Koreans, boss is from India as well as half the workers and have multicultural/multiracial family.

My brother in law is Korean and we have half Korean grandkids and half Puerto Rican twins and I resent the HELL out of the way your ignorant portrayal of my life goes.

You are so paranoid you jump on anything you think has even a hint of racial bias.

We just got a visit from our Mayan daughter in law and my son in law, Gandhi, has Phd in statistical physics and my daughter, his wife is working on Phd in music, both teach in Natal brazil where they live and have two children.

So take your bias accusations and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Mar '21 22:15

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree