1. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 14:15
    @rajk999 said
    Of course you go ahead sell one of yours. Thats your choice. But to say that everyone needs to follow you is ridiculous. The are a multitude of reasons why people have several vehicles and its not all about getting to work.
    Why do people need more than one vehicle rajk?

It's 874 miles from Land's End to John o' Groats. Maybe it's different in the states, Australia and across Europe.
  2. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 14:20
    @sh76 said
    You're reminding me of a great Onion Headline.

https://www.theonion.com/report-98-percent-of-u-s-commuters-favor-public-trans-1819565837

Report: 98 Percent Of U.S. Commuters Favor Public Transportation For Others

It's really easy to restrict other people's freedoms when you can do without them.
    "My drive to work is unbelievable. I spend more than two hours stuck in 12 lanes of traffic. It's about time somebody did something to get some of these other cars off the road."

Yeah, human nature isn't it.
    I see your point.
    How we'd all solve things if we were in charge hey, we'd write the rules and want everyone to do as we say not do as we do for sure, that's humans being humans.
    Reducing our cars to one is something my family can do.

I see a local family picking up litter, they collect a bag a month just from their own street. It's amazing that they do this, I hope it encourages someone to do the same. But seriously, it mostly just makes me feel guilty watching them. Grateful, but guilty.
  3. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 14:26
    @yo-its-me said
    [i]"Ella died at the age of 9. She had severe, hypersecretory asthma causing episodes of respiratory and cardiac arrest and requiring frequent emergency hospital admissions. On 15 February 2013 she had a further asthmatic episode at home and was taken to hospital where she suffered a cardiac arrest from which she could not be resuscitated.
    Air pollution was a significant c ...[text shortened]... nalised and supported in the UK, London particularly.

So we're going to sell one of our two cars.
    why just families?
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 14:35
    @yo-its-me said
    "My drive to work is unbelievable. I spend more than two hours stuck in 12 lanes of traffic. It's about time somebody did something to get some of these other cars off the road."

Yeah, human nature isn't it.
    I see your point.
    How we'd all solve things if we were in charge hey, we'd write the rules and want everyone to do as we say not do as we do for sure, that' ...[text shortened]... do the same. But seriously, it mostly just makes me feel guilty watching them. Grateful, but guilty.
    ===Reducing our cars to one is something my family can do.===

Awesome! Then do it.

My family can't. I have 5 kids and my wife needs her mommy-mobile to run errands and chauffer the kids around (she also works, but from home). I need my car to drive to work and to get wherever else I need to go. I have no busses that go anywhere near my house. If I didn't have a car, I'd have to uber to get around. Not gonna work.
  5. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 14:50
    @mott-the-hoople said
    why just families?
    Good point.

I was trying to get a debate going, so I was being pointed.
    I wish people took more responsibility for each other, you know. I mean here we are, technology has spoilt so much and made life so much faster. But the population has become more internalised, interested in themselves and their own objectives. Human nature, I know, I know. I just wish it wasn't.

Single people - that I know, I don't know about the rest of the world, on the whole seem to be more interested in cycling and using public transport.
  6. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 14:50
    @sh76 said
    ===Reducing our cars to one is something my family can do.===

Awesome! Then do it.

My family can't. I have 5 kids and my wife needs her mommy-mobile to run errands and chauffer the kids around (she also works, but from home). I need my car to drive to work and to get wherever else I need to go. I have no busses that go anywhere near my house. If I didn't have a car, I'd have to uber to get around. Not gonna work.
    I bet there are things you can do though.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 15:14
    @yo-its-me said
    You're absolutely right. If anyone *can* lessen the amount of vehicles they or their family uses, it would be a benefit.

More people should be encouraged to volunteer such an action. In California, there are tax breaks for carpooling. More such incentives should be used.
  8. Standard memberyo its me
    Yo! Its been
    Me, all along
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 15:26
    @vivify said
    You're absolutely right. If anyone *can* lessen the amount of vehicles they or their family uses, it would be a benefit.

More people should be encouraged to volunteer such an action. In California, there are tax breaks for carpooling. More such incentives should be used.
    Yes, this is a good idea. I hope it's working.
    And people need intensives.

We all need air, that should be intensive enough haha 🙂
  9. Standard memberbunnyknight
    bunny knight
    planet Earth
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 16:26
    @yo-its-me

Self-driving electric flying cars would solve the pollution problem, the congestion problem, the wasted-time problem, and be way safer that self-driving road cars.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 17:07
    @yo-its-me said
    Little things.

I drive an Elantra rather than a Sonata or a Camry (I don't drive enough miles to justify the cost of an electric car).

I use a fan in my basement home office rather than an a/c unit in the summer since it doesn't really get that hot.

I do use my bike rather than my car when it makes sense based on my day (that's more for my health than the environment, but whatever).

I have solar panels on my roof even though the net savings I get from them is minimal, if anything.

I recycle.

I use the curly light bulbs.

I do subscribe to the cumulative effects idea - that I do things that, if everyone did them, they would make a difference.

But there are some things I can't or won't do and giving up our second car is high on that list.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 18:34
    @yo-its-me said
    In this case the principal source of Ella's
    Lovely and emotive, putting a name on it. I notice it's a girl's name. Of course someone invented a girl's name - if they'd made up a boy's name, you wouldn't have cared for a single second!

You want me to care about how many cars a family has? Buy me a car, and pay me a salary large enough for its monthly upkeep, and I might have an opinion. As it is, I think poverty is rather more important than post-Victorian pollution levels.
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 18:37
    @yo-its-me said
    I guess, but what can you or I do about the bigger fish?
    Maybe there are things everyone can do themselves and should look at that.
    Yeah. Typical Greenpeace-level reaction: never mind the coal factories of China and the food waste of the USA, everybody in Europe should live on nothing but lentils!

No. We must do something about the bigger fish, or nothing anyone of us can do ourselves will make any significant difference. Tossing your teaspoon of water out of the window is stupid, while the water pipes are still broken.
  13. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 18:55
    My wife drives a Ford escape, very economical. I have a Pickup Truck, a Jeep, an older Honda Accord, a tractor, a ATV, a Golf cart, five ride on lawnmowers, a generator, two garden tillers, hand held blower, a mower attached industrial blower, weed trimmer. I need and will keep every one.
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 20:59
    @mott-the-hoople said
    My wife drives a Ford escape, very economical. I have a Pickup Truck, a Jeep, an older Honda Accord, a tractor, a ATV, a Golf cart, five ride on lawnmowers, a generator, two garden tillers, hand held blower, a mower attached industrial blower, weed trimmer. I need and will keep every one.
    And you leave them all idling all night just to screw the environment and annoy the libs, right?
  15. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    23 Apr '21 21:16
    @sh76
    Who does all this ‘restrcting’? Of us? Could it lead to other restrictions of us.
    I vote no restrictions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree