1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    26 Nov '20 05:022 edits
    @no1marauder said
    Look at the graph, Vivify.
    It only goes back to April. But that's still pretty early in the lockdown, so okay.

I'm not going to keep repeating myself; an incumbent President losing by more than 7 million votes and at least 4% is a "solid rejection".

A difference of 7 million out if 161 million total votes is a "solid rejection". Okay buddy.

If Trump becomes old news after this year, that's something I'd gladly welcome. A self pardon, if upheld, would still be a travesty.
  2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    26 Nov '20 05:06
    @no1marauder said
    Look at the graph, Vivify.

You should simply have the good grace to say you were wrong.

I'm not going to keep repeating myself; an incumbent President losing by more than 7 million votes and at least 4% is a "solid rejection".

Once Trump is out of office, his "base" won't have the slightest interest in him.

Come back in a year and we'll see who's right if Trump does self-pardon.
    Surely someone can’t pardon themselves!

Anyhoo. I think you underestimate the discord that’s been sewn.
    This isn’t even a trump thing. trump is a manifestation of a cancer which has been growing since the 80’s.

And what’s feeding it is cultural disenchantment.
    So, on one hand there’s a group of people who’s bubble’s have been popped too quickly for them to adapt to, and in the other hand, there are politicians tapping into that, feeding it, for their own personal gain.

And that circle’s been well established over 1,5 to 2 generations.
    And that is some vent up anger which is brewing.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Nov '20 06:04
    @vivify said
    It only goes back to April. But that's still pretty early in the lockdown, so okay.

A difference of 7 million out if 161 million total votes is a "solid rejection". Okay buddy.

If Trump becomes old news after this year, that's something I'd gladly welcome. A self pardon, if upheld, would still be a travesty.
    The first line on the graph is September 2, 2019. Biden was up by 9.5% at that point. That was a high point; by February 1 it was 5.4%. https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_biden-6247.html
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    26 Nov '20 06:07
    @no1marauder said
    The first line on the graph is September 2, 2019. Biden was up by 9.5% at that point. That was a high point; by February 1 it was 5.4%. https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_biden-6247.html
    Okay. But again: Hillary.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Nov '20 06:16
    @vivify said
    Okay. But again: Hillary.
    Do we really have to do this AGAIN?

https://fusion.inquirer.com/politics/election/trump-biden-2020-pennsylvania-polls-clinton-2016-20201028.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/why-biden-s-poll-lead-different-hillary-clinton-s-n1243837

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2020/07/04/heres-why-joe-bidens-lead-in-the-polls-is-stronger-than-hillary-clintons-was/?sh=1ea0210e6737

Bottom line: Trump was an unpopular incumbent, the third party vote was destined to be far smaller, there were far fewer undecideds and Biden, unlike HRC, had a slight net favorability rating.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Nov '20 08:401 edit
    @no1marauder
    And more to the point, he can pardon himself and his family all he wants or have Pence pardon him and his family when Trump resigns an hour before Jan 20, and Pence is POTUS for an hour and THIS POTUS pardons Trump, none of that will change one bit the STATE charges looming on Trump's horizon.

I just hope the house and senate come together to limit the pardon power by making it a crime to grant a pardon as a bribe and payback for not testifying against a POTUS. ANY POTUS.

You may remember the fit sssit the country went to when NIXON pardoned all those watergate folks.

We remember that and a lot more.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    26 Nov '20 13:02
    @no1marauder said
    Do we really have to do this AGAIN?

https://fusion.inquirer.com/politics/election/trump-biden-2020-pennsylvania-polls-clinton-2016-20201028.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-the-press/why-biden-s-poll-lead-different-hillary-clinton-s-n1243837

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2020/07/04/heres-why-joe-bidens-lead-in-the-polls-is-stronger-than-hi ...[text shortened]... maller, there were far fewer undecideds and Biden, unlike HRC, had a slight net favorability rating.
    At the beginning of the the thread, you said Republicans "will have to face the voters in less than two years" to answer for why they supported Trump, including a possible self-pardon.

I mentioned the Reelections of Mitch McConnell, Susan Collins and Ted Cruz to show that you were wrong. That, and the fact that Dems couldn't flip the Senate, like you predicted, and Dems lost ground in the House. You sidestepped this point to change the subject. I sometimes forget about your Kellyanne Conway-style of posting.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Nov '20 13:341 edit
    @vivify said
    At the beginning of the the thread, you said Republicans "will have to face the voters in less than two years" to answer for why they supported Trump, including a possible self-pardon.

I mentioned the Reelections of Mitch McConnell, Susan Collins and Ted Cruz to show that you were wrong. That, and the fact that Dems couldn't flip the Senate, like you predicted, and Dems ...[text shortened]... this point to change the subject. I sometimes forget about your Kellyanne Conway-style of posting.
    Cruz got re-elected in 2018.

McConnell won big in a deep red State.

Collins' win hardly supports your idea that Trumpism has a stranglehold on the GOP.

The Dems might still flip the Senate and won most of the House races. When Trump took office, the GOP held about 235 seats in the House; after this election they'll have 210 to 212.

And none of that is terribly relevant to my main point which is a Trump self-pardon would be a political albatross to the Republicans.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    26 Nov '20 14:124 edits
    @no1marauder said
    And none of that is terribly relevant to my main point which is a Trump self-pardon would be a political albatross to the Republicans.
    Not shutting down the government for the longest stretch in U.S. history,
    Not siding with Putin over the U.S. government on live TV in front of the whole world,
    Not withholding military aid in order force a foreign government to interferer in a U.S. election,
    Not committing obstruction of justice by firing Comey, ignoring Congressional subpoenas AND ordering others to do the same,
    Not being caught caught publicly lying about the severity of the pandemic,
    Not the over 20,000 documents lies in just the last 4 years,
    Not secret police snatching protestors off the streets in unmarked vehicles,
    Not Trump trying to overturn the results of the election with false conspiracy claims, frivolous lawsuits and asking electors to overturn the results,
    Not pardoning Joe Arpaio, who repeatedly arrested Hispanics without due process, putting them in chain gangs and subjected them to humiliating treatment,
    Not, "S--- hole countries", the military trans ban, the Muslim ban, abandoning Kurdish allies, Killing Soleimani, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.......

But supporting Trump if he pardons himself....THAT will be the day of reckoning for Republicans.

Okay buddy.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    26 Nov '20 14:22
    @vivify said
    Not shutting down the government for the longest stretch in U.S. history,
    Not siding with Putin over the U.S. government on live TV in front of the whole world,
    Not withholding military aid in order force a foreign government to interferer in a U.S. election,
    Not committing obstruction of justice by firing Comey, ignoring Congressional subpoenas AND ordering others to do t ...[text shortened]... ng Trump if he pardons himself....THAT will be the day of reckoning for Republicans.

Okay buddy.
    (Shrug) Believe what you want.

See ya in a year.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Nov '20 01:29
    @Duchess64
    And the whole world of humans will be better off because Trump lost.

There will be no regrets said by ANY other foreign country.

They WILL say 'GOOD RIDDANCE" with good reason.

Whatever influence and credibility the US once enjoyed is totally gone now.
    What country allied to the US can trust us now?

Now they would look at our foreign policy and wonder if we can EVER be trusted again, they would think something like 'so Biden is in now, he reinstates the agreements Trump killed but 4 years later maybe Trump even wins again and again kills the agreements and treaties we used to have like the Paris accords so there is no consistency in US policy and so why should we believe ANYTHING said by US leaders?'

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree