1. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    20 Oct '21 07:291 edit
    https://www.newsweek.com/diversity-problem-campus-opinion-1618419

This article by a professor led to the cancellation of an invitation of him.

If we look at the article the person seems to be well-menaing, and has his points. However he seems not to have understood that the "fair" criterion he is putting on the shield is not really something to be achieved were people are around.

My thesis to debate would be: "There is no thing as absolute fairness, when hiring and promoting people."
  2. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    20 Oct '21 08:07
    @ponderable said
    https://www.newsweek.com/diversity-problem-campus-opinion-1618419

This article by a professor led to the cancellation of an invitation of him.

If we look at the article the person seems to be well-menaing, and has his points. However he seems not to have understood that the "fair" criterion he is putting on the shield is not really something to be achieved were peopl ...[text shortened]... debate would be: "There is no thing as absolute fairness, when hiring and promoting people."
    I agree, too many variables involved but it is possible to remove obvious discriminatory practices along Ethnicity, Disability etc.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Oct '21 15:27
    @Ponderable
    What if that dude was actively involved in the attempted coup on Jan6? Wouldn't the idea of treason alter someone's desire to have that speaker talk to young kids?
  4. Standard memberContenchess
    Contentious
    Moves
    23 Oct '21 15:39
    @sonhouse

You need a psychiatrist.
  5. Tallinn
    Moves
    23 Oct '21 19:00
    @Ponderable

Earlier, I posted a similar thread "Who Is Politicizing Science?" Only a few relevant comments were received...

How is the caption of your thread "politization of science" related to your question asked above? The question about what educational policy is fair and whether it can be achieved, how it is related to politicization of science? I see that professor Abbot gave a "wrong" answer to the problem of fairness, therefore, his lecture on geophysics was cancelled. Climate change was punished for the view that the universities should provide the best education for the best.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree