1. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Nov '21 16:341 edit
    where did everyone get so far off track? In the 1990's Bill Clinton and Newt Gingrich worked together to increase taxes and cut spending, balancing the budget. That seems like a pipe dream in today's wacko world.

Trump spent your tax dollars like a drunken sailor, and he wanted to spend a lot more on infrastructure. Stop pretending its only the other political party that does bad things. My proposed solution is to vote everyone out. Democrat, Republican, etc. and replace them all with raccoon dogs.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Nov '21 16:41
    @wildgrass
    Actually, it WAS Newt who started the present version of repubs.
    He made up the strategy to not work with dems but stop anything they want.
    Moscow Mitch is just the latest Newt Acolyte.
  3. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    24 Nov '21 17:06
    @wildgrass said
    where did everyone get so far off track? In the 1990's Bill Clinton and Newt Gingrich worked together to increase taxes and cut spending, balancing the budget. That seems like a pipe dream in today's wacko world.

Trump spent your tax dollars like a drunken sailor, and he wanted to spend a lot more on infrastructure. Stop pretending its only the other political party that ...[text shortened]... solution is to vote everyone out. Democrat, Republican, etc. and replace them all with raccoon dogs.
    Tip O'Neil worked with Ronald Reagan to produce
    the largest deficit (untiI then) in US history.
  4. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    24 Nov '21 17:141 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @wildgrass
    Newt Gingrich was, and is, one of the most despicable
    politicians who ever graced the halls of Congress-----
    And that's saying something.........
    For a lesson on nasty, read up on 'Newt,'
    truly a vile human being.
  5. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Nov '21 17:18
    @jimm619 said
    Newt Gingrich was, and is, one of the despicable
    politicians who ever graced the halls of Congress-----
    And that's saying something.........
    For a lesson on nasty, read up on 'Newt,'
    truly a vile human being.
    I know about the Newt. He is a vile human being who worked with Democrats to successfully balance the US federal budget.

Politicians used to be vile but also capable of solving problems. It seems the latter half of the equation has fallen off the resume
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Nov '21 17:231 edit
    @sonhouse said
    @wildgrass
    Maybe you're right. There is a common refrain that refuses to give Bill or Newt credit for their magical partnership depending on which side of the aisle your donation goes to.

At some point there was a switch from "here's a problem and here's how I will solve it" to "here's a problem and the other side is causing it..."

The Republican party just spent 4 years with A LOT of political power and social capital. More than they've had in my lifetime. They did nothing. I'm done.
  7. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    24 Nov '21 18:26
    @wildgrass said
    I know about the Newt. He is a vile human being who worked with Democrats to successfully balance the US federal budget.

Politicians used to be vile but also capable of solving problems. It seems the latter half of the equation has fallen off the resume
    Put AvJoe down as a tremendous Newt fan, if anybody cares
  8. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    24 Nov '21 18:31
    @averagejoe1 said
    Duly noted.
    Nobody cares.
  9. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    24 Nov '21 19:52
    @averagejoe1 said
    No one does.
  10. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Nov '21 20:26
    @averagejoe1 said
    The point was that things used to be accomplish-able. Not anymore.

Republicans say "oh, gee, well I guess the government spends too much money but.... nothing I can do about."

Or they'll say "oh gee, well our immigration system is really messed up and the 'hoards or diseased folk with drugs and crimes' but... nothing I can do about it."

Or something like "Democrats rig every election except the one I won and there's an opportunity here to restore faith in democracy and capitalism by actually fixing it but.... nope. I'd rather just complain."

Or they'll say "oh gee, there's so much crime and corruption in my own government that I participate in every day and clearly have the ability to fix if it were in my best interest to fix it but.... nothing I can do. Sorry."
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Nov '21 03:50
    @wildgrass said
    Maybe you're right. There is a common refrain that refuses to give Bill or Newt credit for their magical partnership depending on which side of the aisle your donation goes to.

At some point there was a switch from "here's a problem and here's how I will solve it" to "here's a problem and the other side is causing it..."

The Republican party just spent 4 years with A ...[text shortened]... olitical power and social capital. More than they've had in my lifetime. They did nothing. I'm done.
    This is a side effect of falling down the rabbit hole of Trump-style politics.

"They're horrible, and if you don't agree with me then you're horrible too."
  12. Joined
    28 Feb '16
    Moves
    25 Nov '21 04:50
    @suzianne said
    This is a side effect of falling down the rabbit hole of Trump-style politics.

"They're horrible, and if you don't agree with me then you're horrible too."
    Pot, meet kettle.
  13. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    25 Nov '21 04:51
    @averagejoe1 said
    Obviously.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Nov '21 05:58
    @liljo said
    Pot, meet kettle.
    Oh, please.

Tell us more about why you're afraid of black men.
  15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    25 Nov '21 09:55
    @averagejoe1 said
    They already did, you must have missed the bit about him being a despicable human being.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree