1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 May '21 02:49
    "This case is the sad tale of police officers, clothed with the awesome power of the state, run amok."

So writes Federal Judge ALGENON L. MARBLEY in describing the actions of the Columbus, Ohio police during last summer's protests against police violence. (https://www.nbc4i.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/18/2021/04/real-order.pdf p. 2).

After concluding that the plaintiff-protesters have a strong likelihood of success on the merits of their claims of excessive and unconstitutional force, the Judge granted a preliminary injunction which:

"Marbley also ordered that officers be restrained from using other weapons and tactics such as flash-bang grenades, rubber bullets, body slams or kettling against nonviolent protesters. Officers must ensure that police vehicle cameras and body cameras are in "good working order" when interacting with nonviolent protesters.

Officers must also allow individuals legitimately displaying identifiers as press, media, reporter, paramedic or legal observer to record protests and to assist those who appear to be injured, Marbley ruled.

The ruling was made in favor of 26 plaintiffs who sued the city after taking part in demonstrations over the summer, according to NBC4. They allege that officers responded to nonviolent protesters with excessive force through the use of pepper spray, tear gas, sound cannons, batons and wooden bullets."

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/551391-judge-rules-columbus-police-cant-use-tear-gas-or-rubber-bullets-against

This type of "police riot" was a typical response to the protests last year.
  2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    03 May '21 03:19
    The problem is, though, the policemen can’t take 100% of the blame on this.

There’s so much polarisation and friction on the whole issue, wrong choices (arming the police to the teeth, giving them tasks which shouldn’t be handed to the police services), warped expectations of what is humanly possible, unclear goals and sweeping generalisations, that it’s an accident waiting to happen.
  3. Joined
    09 Jan '20
    Moves
    03 May '21 14:11
    "Peaceful non-violent protests".....
    When did that happen?
  4. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    03 May '21 15:13
    @no1marauder said
    "This case is the sad tale of police officers, clothed with the awesome power of the state, run amok."

So writes Federal Judge ALGENON L. MARBLEY in describing the actions of the Columbus, Ohio police during last summer's protests against police violence. (https://www.nbc4i.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/18/2021/04/real-order.pdf p. 2).

After concluding that the plai ...[text shortened]... bber-bullets-against

a black activist judge appointed by bill clinton...end of story.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 May '21 15:231 edit
    @mott-the-hoople said
    a black activist judge appointed by bill clinton...end of story.
    Well, we know you don't like the "black" part but what makes him an "activist"?

He was confirmed by the US Senate in 1997 by a 91-0 vote. https://www.democrats.senate.gov/10/27/1997/senate-roll-call-vote-00279-8

Heck, even Strom Thurmond voted "Yea". https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=105&session=1&vote=00279
  6. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    03 May '21 21:00
    @no1marauder

Finally, we get people looking at the bigger problem, police brutality.
    I understand that black people are treated brutally, but so are whites. and that is a level of argument I welcome.

Let's hash it out.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 May '21 22:15
    @earl-of-trumps said
    @no1marauder

Finally, we get people looking at the bigger problem, police brutality.
    I understand that black people are treated brutally, but so are whites. and that is a level of argument I welcome.

Let's hash it out.
    Walking and chewing gum at the same time are possible.

The issues of police brutality and systemic racism in law enforcement can both be addressed.
  8. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    03 May '21 22:52
    @no1marauder said
    Well, we know you don't like the "black" part but what makes him an "activist"?

He was confirmed by the US Senate in 1997 by a 91-0 vote. https://www.democrats.senate.gov/10/27/1997/senate-roll-call-vote-00279-8

Heck, even Strom Thurmond voted "Yea". https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=105&session=1&vote=00279
    this judge doesnjt have the authority to set police policy, he is usurping the power delegated to elected officials....that he inserted himself in this manner makes him an activist.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    03 May '21 23:231 edit
    @mott-the-hoople said
    this judge doesnjt have the authority to set police policy, he is usurping the power delegated to elected officials....that he inserted himself in this manner makes him an activist.
    Have you ever heard of a "preliminary injunction"?

Judges have authority to rule on what are violations of the People's rights and to prevent government agencies from employing tactics that do so.
  10. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    04 May '21 12:11
    @no1marauder said
    Have you ever heard of a "preliminary injunction"?

Judges have authority to rule on what are violations of the People's rights and to prevent government agencies from employing tactics that do so.
    as I said...an activist judge
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 May '21 14:20
    @Dood111
    You mean like the one on Jan 6?
  12. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    04 May '21 15:38
    @no1marauder said

After concluding that the plai ...[text shortened]... bber-bullets-against

I gather that you are not a fan of having police officers in a city? Well then how do you explain a reverse situation. This person in Des Rimas (Who in the heck would live in a town called Des Rimas, I cannot imagine).
    Anyway, google ‘deputy’s body cam captures racist tirade’ , I don’t know how to link using a cell phone.
    What do you think, She is obviously a liberal because she says “ you’ll never be white, you know that, right?” A dead giveaway when someone says ‘you know that right’. Standard liberal slang.
    Tell us what you do not like about the police officer who pulled over this person who violated the law. Of course I think you may have a different definition of law than I do?
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 May '21 17:29
    @mott-the-hoople said
    as I said...an activist judge
    The idea that police should be immune from any judicial review is more appropriate for a totalitarian dictatorship than a democratic republic based on Lockean principles of individual rights.
  14. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    04 May '21 17:48
    @no1marauder said
    The idea that police should be immune from any judicial review is more appropriate for a totalitarian dictatorship than a democratic republic based on Lockean principles of individual rights.
    we have a jury system for such cases as this...this judge of yours is being totalitarian in his actions.
  15. Joined
    09 Jan '20
    Moves
    04 May '21 18:191 edit
    @no1marauder said
    You are right!
    Good thing police officers in the USA have ALWAYS been subject to judicial review.
    (I'm sure you'll find some nit-picky BS to contradict that)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree