1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 06:34
    Once again we see the EU overextending its reach as it tries to grab legal power in an independent nation state.

From the article:
    On Thursday, Poland's Constitutional Tribunal ruled that key articles of one of the EU's primary treaties were incompatible with Polish law, in effect rejecting the principle that EU law has primacy over national legislation in certain judicial areas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58840076

Come on Poland you can do this, fight!
  2. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 06:43
    @divegeester said
    Once again we see the EU overextending its reach as it tries to grab legal power in an independent nation state.

From the article:
    On Thursday, Poland's Constitutional Tribunal ruled that key articles of one of the EU's primary treaties were incompatible with Polish law, in effect [b]rejecting the principle that EU law has primacy over national legislation in cert ...[text shortened]... b]

Poland should be booted out of the EU.
    They signed the agreements; EU law overrules national law on various points.

It’s good to see you standing up for the Poles’ rights to be homophobic, anti-immigrant, anti-female and all other variations of right-wing nationalist agendas.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 06:55
    @shavixmir said

It’s good to see you standing up for the Poles’ rights to be homophobic, anti-immigrant, anti-female and all other variations of right-wing nationalist agendas.
    Here we go 😆
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 06:58
    One day in the hopefully not too distant future, the anti-democratic Europe-controlling EU will consist of … Germany … with France clinging onto her coattails like you wouldn’t believe.
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 07:031 edit
    @divegeester said
    One day in the hopefully not too distant future, the anti-democratic Europe-controlling EU will consist of … Germany … with France clinging onto her coattails like you wouldn’t believe.
    Crawl back to your democratically elected house of lords and ponder the sin of hypocrisy.

Actually, not just hypocrisy, when one comes to think of it.
    Misleading an audience, springs to mind too; considering the EU is a democratic institution. That some English people and nazis in Europe can’t comprehend the layers, is neither here nor there.

When you sign an international treaty… does that overrule national legislation? Yes. Obviously. Otherwise a nation wouldn’t sign up to the treaty if they didn’t want it to be binding for all parties.

Poland has signed up to EU law, which is roughly the same as the UN declaration on human rights.
    The core difference being the UN declaration is non-binding, EU law is a treaty (and is therefore binding).
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 08:35
    @shavixmir said
    Crawl back to your democratically elected house of lords and ponder the sin of hypocrisy.

Actually, not just hypocrisy, when one comes to think of it.
    Misleading an audience, springs to mind too; considering the EU is a democratic institution. That some English people and nazis in Europe can’t comprehend the layers, is neither here nor there.
    Your insults of racism, nazism and bigotry didn’t make a difference from 2016 to 2020 so it’s odd that you think I’m moved by them now.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 08:40
    @shavixmir said
    When you sign an international treaty… does that overrule national legislation? Yes. Obviously. Otherwise a nation wouldn’t sign up to the treaty if they didn’t want it to be binding for all parties.

Poland has signed up to EU law, which is roughly the same as the UN declaration on human rights.
    The core difference being the UN declaration is non-binding, EU law is a treaty (and is therefore binding).
    The UK eventually regretted joining the EU and Poland are also.

As I’ve pointed out dozens of times over the last 5 years, membership of the EU inevitably results in an dilution of democratic power because the number of representative EMPs per head of capita is far far less than the number locally, therefore less control and power moves away from the people and towards the unelected commission who set the agenda. I am encouraged to see any nation kick back against this grotty gravy-train of dictatorship.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 08:41
    @shavixmir said
    Poland should be booted out of the EU.
    Amen! Do it.
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 09:16
    @divegeester said
    Your insults of racism, nazism and bigotry didn’t make a difference from 2016 to 2020 so it’s odd that you think I’m moved by them now.
    How is life without the EU?
    Still driving around and eating fish?
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 10:00
    @shavixmir said
    So you believe countries should sell their sovereignty?
  11. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 10:14
    @divegeester said

From the article:
    On Thursday, Poland's Constitutional Tribunal ruled that key articles of one of the EU's primary treaties were incompatible with Polish law, in effect [b]rejecting the principle that EU law has primacy over national legislation in cert ...[text shortened]... b]

Yeah all they have to do is not take money from a pot that is mainly filled by people who don’t think it’s ok to discriminate against someone on the basis of sexual orientation.
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 10:51
    @eladar said
    So you believe countries should sell their sovereignty?
    What’s sovereignty to you?

Many EU regulations stipulate that members can make their own laws on the subject.
    Some don’t. These are generally laws about human rights (like privacy) or agreed upon quotas.

Passports, border controls, criminal law, etc. Are all up to individual nations. So long as they adhere to the principles of EU law (so you can’t give homosexuals a death penalty, for example).
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 10:52
    @shavixmir said
    Fine thanks.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 10:531 edit
    @kevcvs57 said
    Yeah all they have to do is not take money from a pot that is mainly filled by people who don’t think it’s ok to discriminate against someone on the basis of sexual orientation.
    I’m not sure what you mean.

I’m just excited to see another country building up to an EU exit. Hopefully more will follow.
  15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    11 Oct '21 11:50
    @divegeester said
    I’m not sure what you mean.

I’m just excited to see another country building up to an EU exit. Hopefully more will follow.
    Why though why don’t you think the common values of Western Europe are worth defending.
    I won’t be sorry to see Poland go along with Hungary because I think it will strengthen and focus the EU not because I think it will weaken them. If their people decide that their religious beliefs give them the right to force their moral dogma based codex on others then they will probably be more comfortable in Putins sphere of influence anyway.
    I think they should leave NATO as well because as they veer back to the east and Moscow they will weaken that organisation as well.
    Perhaps the EUs biggest mistake was their eastern expansion.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree