1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 06:12
    @wolfgang59 said
    I heard she would not be Speaker come January.
    Her term would be over on January 3, 2021, if she were not reelected. I woundn't bet on that, since she's only fallen below 80% of the vote twice.
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 06:291 edit
    @suzianne said
    Well, maybe there is, as he fired our Postmaster General and replaced her with one of his toadies.

The fraud is of his own making. The USMail was safe until he put a Trumpanzee in charge of it.
    "According to the Washington Post, US Postal Service workers say backlogs may delay delivery of ballots in time for November's election because of cost-cutting measures under the Trump administration."

If I thought Trump really was a stable genius, I'd say he set this up. But I don't, and he didn't. He's still just making up the screenplay off the cuff, day-to-day, minute-to-minute, as he has always done.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 08:08
    @suzianne said
    Her term would be over on January 3, 2021, if she were not reelected. I woundn't bet on that, since she's only fallen below 80% of the vote twice.
    Yes, but if the federal elections are delayed she can't be re-elected can she?
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 08:542 edits
    @wolfgang59 said
    Yes, but if the federal elections are delayed she can't be re-elected can she?
    Federal elections will not be delayed. Not even Mitch McConnell would accept this.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53599363
  5. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 12:44
    @moonbus said
    Federal elections will not be delayed. Not even Mitch McConnell would accept this.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53599363
    And they shouldn't be delayed. All Trump did was raise the idea to see where
    congress stood on such a possibility.

But all over liberal news media, it was the red meat of the day.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 13:421 edit
    @earl-of-trumps said

Trump's motivation is transparent: he is hoping to buy time to let the economy recover and improve his re-election chances. That's a lousy reason to delay an election. Mitch McConnell would commit political suicide for the entire Rep. party if he agreed to that.

Moreover, if Trump merely wanted to sound out McConnell on the feasibility of delaying the election ("just asking" ), it should have been done behind closed doors.
  7. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 13:52
    @earl-of-trumps said

Trump has to ask the media something any of his so-called "advisers" could have told him?
  8. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 14:041 edit
    @earl-of-trumps said

So he couldn’t google that stuff, or, shock horror, ask an adviser?
    He’s either as thick as two short planks or he’s laying the ground for challenging the election result.
    I think he knows any challenge will be unsuccessful, but it will, in his own mind, supply a bandaid for his massive but brittle ego.
  9. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 15:47
    Maybe Trump wanted a reaction from the people. After all, democrats notoriously
    want social distancing. Maybe they won't want elections during the COVID.

In the end, it doesn't matter because congress controls it all.
    Yet it still made for some great red meat. MSM - all over it.
  10. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 16:26
    @averagejoe1 said
    Because my neighbor's ballot could be accidentally put in my malbox, he being a screaming whining liberal, and I check Donald Trump and mail it in.
    So.......you’re voting for Trump ???
    Why ????

If you’re going to talk about the economy, consider this.

US has had the biggest economy by GDP, until now.
    By my calculations, China now has a larger GDP. As does the EU.
    Well done, President Trump !!
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 21:05
    The intel community weighs in on Trump's allegation that mail-in ballots are open to massive fraud:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/31/politics/trump-intelligence-officials-contradict-mail-in-voting-sow-doubt-foreign/index.html
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 21:33
    @moonbus said
    The ultimate irony is that if there is no elected president by 20.1.2021, the speaker of the house assumes the office. That would be Nancy Pelosi.
    It is my understanding that if there were no Presidential election there would
    be no other federal elections. Trump would be out of office and Pelosi too.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Jul '20 22:57
    @wolfgang59 said
    It is my understanding that if there were no Presidential election there would
    be no other federal elections. Trump would be out of office and Pelosi too.
    1. Elections for Congress are organised by the states, not the fed. Delaying the presidential election would have no impact on Congressional elections.

2. The president has no authority to delay either the presidential election or Congressional elections. Both will go ahead on schedule.

3. If Trump believes he can remain in office past 20.1.2021 by delaying the election, he is mistaken. There is no provision in the U.S. Constitution for extending the term of office (for example, because there has been no election or because the election result is disputed); his term ends at noon 20.1.2021, election or no election, result or no result.

4. Even if Pelosi were not returned to office, someone else would assume the position of Speaker of the House, and that person (whoever it turns out to be) is next in line to fulfil the role of president, in case none shall have been elected by 20.1.2021.

5. Assuming the Dems hold the House, which is highly likely, the next speaker (if not Pelosi) would also be a Dem.

An editorial from the Atlantic on the possibility that Trump might not leave peacefully and on schedule:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/02/what-if-he-wont-go/606259/
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 00:05
    @moonbus said
    1. Elections for Congress are organised by the states, not the fed. Delaying the presidential election would have no impact on Congressional elections.

2. The president has no authority to delay either the presidential election or Congressional elections. Both will go ahead on schedule.

3. If Trump believes he can remain in office past 20.1.2021 by delaying the election ...[text shortened]... lly and on schedule:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/02/what-if-he-wont-go/606259/
    Interesting and informative thank you.

I hope it is all correct.
  15. S. Korea
    Moves
    01 Aug '20 01:01
    The best point that I have seen the left bring up over the last week is that it is hypocritical to say that schools should be opened but the election should be postponed.

I would not say that this is a 100% accurate argument, because one can argue that transitions in leadership are qualitatively different than opening schools, but I am not even comfortable mounting such a defense, so I think it is an overall good argument.

Cheers to you guys.

LeoDiCaprioToasting.gif

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree