1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    24 Sep '20 15:161 edit
    https://www.axios.com/us-lukashenko-president-belarus-353ed235-98f7-446f-919a-6a6cdab81975.html

U.S. no longer recognizes Lukashenko as legitimate president of Belarus

The U.S. no longer recognizes Aleksandr Lukashenko as the legitimate president of Belarus, the State Department said in a statement on Wednesday.

"The United States cannot consider Aleksandr Lukashenko the legitimately elected leader of Belarus. The path forward should be a national dialogue leading to the Belarusian people enjoying their right to choose their leaders in a free and fair election under independent observation."
    — State Department spokesperson
    The U.S. announcement follows similar statements from European officials, including EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell.

"The situation is clear for us. We consider the elections of August 9 fraudulent. We don't recognize Lukashenko as the legitimate president of Belarus."
    — Josep Borrell last week to the European Parliament
    A German government spokesperson reiterated today that Germany does not view Lukashenko as legitimate, adding of Wednesday's inauguration:

"The fact that this ceremony was prepared secretly and carried out away from the public eye is very telling."
    — German government spokesman

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-belarus-election-britain/uk-preparing-magnitsky-sanctions-over-belarus-human-rights-violations-minister-idUKKCN26F22M

UK preparing Magnitsky sanctions over Belarus human rights violations

So Europe is coming down hard on Lukashenko. But the Axios link above ads this interesting note:

The big picture: Prior to the election, Lukashenko's relations with the West had actually been improving, largely because he was growing increasingly adversarial with Moscow.

Times have changed. Now, Lukashenko has been showering praise on Vladimir Putin, and in return, he received pledges that Russia will offer financial support and deploy an auxiliary police force to Belarus if needed.
    Lukashenko has faced fierce global condemnation as he's cracked down on the protests that followed the election, but Putin has stood by him as hundreds have been arbitrarily detained and even tortured.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    24 Sep '20 15:202 edits
    So does the West only care about Lukashenko being a dictator because he's been siding with Russia? Quite sad if true.
  3. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    24 Sep '20 16:361 edit
    I think it is spelled out accurately, the election was major fraud.

After the surprise result in the election, a poll was taken in certain area of Belarus.
    They found that the woman who was the main opposition candidate got 70% of
    the people's admitted choice in the election. Meanwhile, the "official" result showed
    that Lukashenko won in a landslide. Please!!

This Lukashenko is a leftover communist from the USSR. and it shows.

DUMP him.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    24 Sep '20 21:03
    @vivify said
    https://www.axios.com/us-lukashenko-president-belarus-353ed235-98f7-446f-919a-6a6cdab81975.html

U.S. no longer recognizes Lukashenko as legitimate president of Belarus

The U.S. no longer recognizes Aleksandr Lukashenko as the legitimate president of Belarus, the State Department said in a statement on Wednesday.

"The United States cannot consider Aleksan ...[text shortened]... on, but Putin has stood by him as hundreds have been arbitrarily detained and even tortured.
    Interesting that Trump would allow a statement like that.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    24 Sep '20 21:04
    @earl-of-trumps said

After the surprise result in the election, a poll was taken in certain area of Belarus.
    the people's admitted choice in the election. Meanwhile, the "official" result showed

DUMP him.
    He's just another of Putin's good old boys club like Trump.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Sep '20 21:55
    @athousandyoung said
    The Corruption Club
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Sep '20 21:561 edit
    @earl-of-trumps said

DUMP him.
    He's a modern Putin flunkie, just like you-know-who.

Funny how you can see corruption in another country, but not your own.
  8. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    24 Sep '20 23:57
    @athousandyoung said
    Really?! Then why did Trump dump on Putin's man in Belarus?

I know you believe the myth but it's obvious to the casual observer that it's a democrat party false narrative.
  9. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    25 Sep '20 00:00
    @suzianne said
    He's a modern Putin flunkie, just like you-know-who.

Funny how you can see corruption in another country, but not your own.
    And funny how you can see corruption where it doesn't exist.

This is the UMPTEENTH time Trump has gone *against* his boss man, Putin.
    I thought Putin tells Trump what to do?

Ya, sure. You and AThousandYoung, and sonhouse. You look right at the evidence and turn the other cheek.

Meanwhile you see nothing wrong with Hilary's connection to Putin or Biden's connections to Ukraine. Cool.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    25 Sep '20 18:04
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Really?! Then why did Trump dump on Putin's man in Belarus?

I know you believe the myth but it's obvious to the casual observer that it's a democrat party false narrative.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/24/trump-open-technology-fund-hong-kong-belarus-iran

The Trump administration has stopped vital technical assistance to pro-democracy groups in Belarus, Hong Kong and Iran, which had helped activists evade state surveillance and sidestep internet censorship.
  11. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    26 Sep '20 00:291 edit
    @athousandyoung said
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/24/trump-open-technology-fund-hong-kong-belarus-iran

The Trump administration has stopped vital technical assistance to pro-democracy groups in Belarus, Hong Kong and Iran, which had helped activists evade state surveillance and sidestep internet censorship.
    And it still does not answer my question, ATY. Why is Trump admin sullying the Belarus Bully?

As to why Trump cut aid to the pro-democracy groups, here is the explanation:

In addition, intelligence officials in the U.S. and Western Europe say, Russia’s foreign and military intelligence agencies have, in the words of one European official, “thoroughly penetrated or intimidated their comrades in Belarus.”
    --------- https://time.com/5883992/trump-administration-belarus-election/

So let's not try to imply Trump backs Lukashenko, and Iran. That is bullpuppies and you know it.
  12. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    27 Sep '20 20:092 edits
    https://www.politico.eu/article/emmanuel-macron-alexander-lukashenko-must-step-down-inauguration-illegitimate/

"French President Emmanuel Macron said Alexander Lukashenko must step down"

Very interesting. The U.S., U.K., Germany, and now France called for him to step down.

But then again, nations did the same with Maduro and that hasn't changed anything.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    27 Sep '20 22:43
    @earl-of-trumps said
    And it still does not answer my question, ATY. Why is Trump admin sullying the Belarus Bully?

[i] In addition, intelligence officials in the U.S. and Western Europe say, Russia’s foreign and military intelligence agencies have, in the words of one European official, “thoroughly penetra ...[text shortened]...

So let's not try to imply Trump backs Lukashenko, and Iran. That is bullpuppies and you know it.
    Trump isn't sullying him, some random person in the State Dept is.
  14. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    28 Sep '20 02:00
    French President Macron Says Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko 'Must Go'

https://time.com/5893808/french-president-belarus/
    -----------------------------

(PARIS) — France is stepping up the pressure on Belarus’ longtime leader Alexander Lukashenko, with President Emmanuel Macron telling a prominent French weekly that “Lukashenko must go.”

The European Union said Thursday it does not recognize Lukashenko as president of Belarus because of large-scale protests by Belarusians who question the results of last month’s presidential election that Lukashenko claims he overwhelmingly won. Opposition members and some poll workers in Belarus say the vote was rigged.

Ahead of a trip Monday to Lithuania and Latvia, Macron was quoted in Sunday’s Journal du Dimanche newspaper as saying “it’s clear that Lukashenko must go.”
  15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    28 Sep '20 06:53
    @earl-of-trumps said

[i] In addition, intelligence officials in the U.S. and Western Europe say, Russia’s foreign and military intelligence agencies have, in the words of one European official, “thoroughly penetra ...[text shortened]...

Lol how does that answer the question?
    All the more reason to support non governmental pro democracy / anti corruption factions surely.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree