1. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    25 Sep '20 18:11
    Cannabis use during pregnancy may increase a child's risk of psychotic behavior, a study found

The study, published today in JAMA Psychiatry, found that women who used cannabis during pregnancy were more likely to have children with social problems, impulsivity and attention problems, and psychotic-like experiences that can be predictive of disorders like schizophrenia.
    -------------------------

What can I say? This caught me completely off guard. How about you?

https://www.insider.com/cannabis-use-during-pregnancy-linked-to-psychosis-cognition-problems-2020-9
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    25 Sep '20 18:13
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Cannabis use during pregnancy may increase a child's risk of psychotic behavior, a study found

[i]The study, published today in JAMA Psychiatry, found that women who used cannabis during pregnancy were more likely to have children with social problems, impulsivity and attention problems, and psychotic-like experiences that can be predictive of disorders like ...[text shortened]...
    https://www.insider.com/cannabis-use-during-pregnancy-linked-to-psychosis-cognition-problems-2020-9
    Alcohol use during pregnancy can cause FAS.
  3. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    25 Sep '20 18:29
    @athousandyoung said
    Alcohol use during pregnancy can cause FAS.
    Yes, of course, ATY, but we knew that.
    Actually, a woman that drinks during pregnancy is truly doing damage - maybe great damage, to the child. A crime? I think.

But who saw this coming? Now doctors may have to tell pregnant woman to lay off the weed. They *should*.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    25 Sep '20 18:31
    @earl-of-trumps said

[i]The study, published today in JAMA Psychiatry, found that women who used cannabis during pregnancy were more likely to have children with social problems, impulsivity and attention problems, and psychotic-like experiences that can be predictive of disorders like ...[text shortened]...

How about me? I'm a 66 YO male, so probably not going to get pregnant. 😏
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    25 Sep '20 19:14
    @earl-of-trumps said

I'm not convinced this is anything new. Around a year ago after some discussion in this forum of the schizophrenia/psychosis risks of cannabis I did a pubmed search with the terms "cannabis schizophrenia" and "cannabis psychosis". There seems to be a weak link between cannabis and mental health problems connected with psychosis. The effect is dose dependent and age dependent. In one of the studies, which had only 14 per group so this is low quality evidence, people who had taken cannabis before 17 had more white matter and less grey matter in fMRI scans. It is theorised that cannabis interferes with neural pruning events, a natural part of brain development, which provides a mechanism for it to cause young users problems. So it is entirely plausible that a pregnant woman taking cannabis in large doses regularly during a pregnancy may inadvertently be putting her child at risk of psychotic episodes. However, without reading the article I can't make a judgement about how credible their results are.
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    25 Sep '20 19:341 edit
    @earl-of-trumps said

The flu vaccine may increase the risk of getting covid19. There is clearly a correlation. Correlation however, is not evidence of causation.

Is there evidence of correlation alone, or causation as well? this is an important question.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    25 Sep '20 20:37
    @mchill said
    How about me? I'm a 66 YO male, so probably not going to get pregnant. 😏
    Yeah, you shoulda got pregnant at 46.
  8. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    25 Sep '20 20:48
    @deepthought said
    I'm not convinced this is anything new. Around a year ago after some discussion in this forum of the schizophrenia/psychosis risks of cannabis I did a pubmed search with the terms "cannabis schizophrenia" and "cannabis psychosis". There seems to be a weak link between cannabis and mental health problems connected with psychosis. The effect is dose dependent and age dep ...[text shortened]... However, without reading the article I can't make a judgement about how credible their results are.
    screw JAMA Psychiatry...deepthought got it!
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 Sep '20 21:24
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Anyone surprised that drugs during pregnancy are dangerous is pretty naïve.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree