Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Weak, Ineffective
    tinyurl.com/ygwgslry
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 19:50
    @sh76 said
    At 3.5% unemployment, it is inevitable (and neither surprising nor concerning) that job creation is not as strong as it sometimes is.

3.5% is tantamount to full employment. By and large, people who want jobs already have them.
    But they don't pay enough. You can't pay the bills with the jobs that are available.
  2. Joined
    27 Jul '10
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 19:51
    @sonhouse said
    @AverageJoe1
    You mean like in healthcare? Good one there, US right above Slovenia.
    Happiness? We are right ahead of Czechia.
    Education? list of the top 20 world wide, USA bottom of the list, # 20.
    I suppose you are going to tout the supposed 10 or 20 billion dollar high tech plant Trump was supposed to have but that is down to 3 billion now.
    You missed the question.....whcih is the greatest country in the world?
  3. Joined
    27 Jul '10
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 19:54
    @kazetnagorra said
    By that (rather clumsy) logic, wouldn't a country with a higher average wage be better?
    Not if it cost reducing our military, for example, to do it. How average do you want to go? 60K a year is just fine, unless a guy decides (it is always voluntary) to have 5 children. It would be difficult to feed that crowd.
  4. Joined
    27 Jul '10
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 19:56
    @kazetnagorra said
    According to 2017 OECD figures, there are 6 countries with a higher average wage than the U.S.: Iceland, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Norway, Denmark and Australia.
    But observe other statistics of welfare (ugh), zero military, etc. Who would iceland call first if the ruskies appeared on their horizon? Right!!!
  5. Joined
    27 Jul '10
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 19:57
    @kazetnagorra said
    Ordinary Americans have barely seen improvements in the standard of living since the early 1980s.
    You are wrong. Remember, some people want to be poor. So, discounting that, there are many improvements. Those are the folks that build america.
  6. Joined
    27 Jul '10
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 19:59
    @athousandyoung said
    But they don't pay enough. You can't pay the bills with the jobs that are available.
    Then you are speaking of entry-level jobs, minimum wage. High school kids, early college kids. Then, with experience, they go to the next level. I dont know what that level is called, but it pays more money.
  7. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Weak, Ineffective
    tinyurl.com/ygwgslry
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 19:59
    @averagejoe1 said
    You are wrong. Remember, some people want to be poor. So, discounting that, there are many improvements. Those are the folks that build america.
    No, you are wrong. The only reason average wage is going up is because the rich are getting richer. Take a math class you idiot.
  8. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Weak, Ineffective
    tinyurl.com/ygwgslry
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 20:002 edits
    @averagejoe1 said
    Then you are speaking of entry-level jobs, minimum wage. High school kids, early college kids. Then, with experience, they go to the next level. I dont know what that level is called, but it pays more money.
    I have a Bachelor in Science in Chemical Biology from UC Berkeley and am over 40 years old. I'm talking about myself.
  9. Joined
    27 Jul '10
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 20:09
    @athousandyoung said
    I have a Bachelor in Science in Chemical Biology from UC Berkeley and am over 40 years old. I'm talking about myself.
    Maybe that's not where the money is. A certain friend of mine was a lawyer, and found out he could make a LOT more money in commercial real estate, and he did. So, if your Science degree doesnt open many doors, you can still use your smarts to get into other fields with your background. And this activity on your part would have NOTHING to do with the rich people you mention above.....who made your computer and airplanes. Somebody had to do that, I thank them very much. 🙂 🙂
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 20:31
    @athousandyoung said
    Perhaps, but that would not be reflected in the number your OP pointed to.
  11. Joined
    15 Dec '03
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 20:37
    vt.stats@mott-the-hoople said
    ONE month...no need to start licking yours balls yet! Unemployment is unchanged...
    Govt. stats. are lies. Don't count people who gave up looking for decent work. No inflation my butt. Been to the grocery store lately? People working in the service industry. 3 jobs to survive. 3 families per household to survive. All a lie.
  12. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Weak, Ineffective
    tinyurl.com/ygwgslry
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 20:411 edit
    @sh76 said
    Perhaps, but that would not be reflected in the number your OP pointed to.
    Yes it would because if jobs were being created then there would be competition for workers and wages would go up.

In the Antebellum South, Blacks had 0% unemployment. That doesn't imply a strong job market for Blacks at the time.
  13. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Weak, Ineffective
    tinyurl.com/ygwgslry
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 21:00
    From the OP:

According to data from the US Labor Department, 2019 has been the weakest year for job creation since 2011. Only 2.1 million jobs were added, and the 145,000 jobs created in December fell short of economists’ expectations.
    Raw Story noted that Trump’s trade wars with China drove the manufacturing sector into a recession, where more workers were laid off.
    Meanwhile, the numbers of those looking for jobs increased over the jobs that were created. This could indicate a slowing economy and might cause unemployment to spike in the coming year.
    Total employment could fall below 2 million in 2020, which would be the lowest its been since 2010.
    Meanwhile, Trump continues to push his economic success in a bid to gain voters. He calls the current condition of the market “the greatest economy we’ve had in the history of our country.” But the Daily Beast notes that most people are now working two jobs just to get by. “Wages are flat,” the Beast stated.

If someone works two jobs, do they count as two employed people in the statistics?
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 21:27
    @kquinn909 said
    Govt. stats. are lies. Don't count people who gave up looking for decent work. No inflation my butt. Been to the grocery store lately? People working in the service industry. 3 jobs to survive. 3 families per household to survive. All a lie.
    You sound like Jimmy McMillan.

YouTube
  15. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Weak, Ineffective
    tinyurl.com/ygwgslry
    Moves
    14 Jan '20 21:28
    @sh76 said
    You sound like Jimmy McMillan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcsNbQRU5TI
    Jimmy McMillan is right!