17 Nov '20 01:48
    Trump probably needs more hush money.
  5. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    17 Nov '20 01:48
    @metal-brain said
    Golly i just dont know. Why font we get out ahead of it on this one. We will all be invited on MSNBC or FOX with our studied insights. Whew.
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    17 Nov '20 02:16
    @averagejoe1 said
    Golly i just dont know. Why font we get out ahead of it on this one. We will all be invited on MSNBC or FOX with our studied insights. Whew.
    I agree. Why font we?
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Nov '20 03:00
    I saw a news report claiming that 60% of the money he raises for his legal fund will go to a political action committee.

Is this allegation true?
  8. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    17 Nov '20 03:011 edit
    It's a real word 😒

Fon't...
    "Don't effin mess with me"

Fon't
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Nov '20 04:22
    I'm curious whether the Trump campaign will pony up the necessary funds to get a recount in Wisconsin:

"President Donald Trump's campaign would have to pay nearly $8 million to start a recount in Wisconsin, a state he narrowly lost two weeks ago.

Trump will have to decide by Wednesday whether to carry through with the recount he has promised to pursue.

If his campaign pays the $7.9 million cost up front, the recount will begin as soon as Thursday and be complete by Dec. 1, according to the state Elections Commission.

Trump has been furiously fundraising for the Wisconsin recount and legal challenges in other states to try to overturn Democrat Joe Biden's victory. If he doesn't go ahead with the Wisconsin recount, he can use the money he's raised for other purposes, such as retiring his campaign debt."

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2020/11/16/trump-campaign-would-pay-nearly-8-million-wisconsin-recount/6316022002/

Trump lost Wisconsin by more than 20,000 votes; based on prior experience the chance that a recount would make any difference is nil. So will he decide to keep the "I really won narrative" going by paying for a recount or will he use the money raised "for other purposes"?
  10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Nov '20 05:06
    @no1marauder said
    I'm curious whether the Trump campaign will pony up the necessary funds to get a recount in Wisconsin:

"President Donald Trump's campaign would have to pay nearly $8 million to start a recount in Wisconsin, a state he narrowly lost two weeks ago.

Trump will have to decide by Wednesday whether to carry through with the recount he has promised to pursue.

If his cam ...[text shortened]... y won narrative" going by paying for a recount or will he use the money raised "for other purposes"?
    Now, obviously my humor-bone is dying for trump to be president and this drama to unfold slowly for the next 4 years...

Equally obviously, my rationality-bone says the world is a better place without right-wing scum running it. And a much better place without trump and his cronies...

But this being said... I read this on the BBC too: trump has to pay 8m dollars for a recount in Wisconsin???

Surely there are two possibilities:
    - the margin of difference is so low there has to be a recount (and the tax payer pays).
    - the margin of difference is not enough for a recount, so there isn’t a bloody recount.

How the hell can a system exist that if you’re rich enough you can demand a recount whenever you want?
    This automatically means that a poorer candidate has less chance of winning than a richer candidate. Ergo, the system favours the rich over the poor... in the bloody democratic process!!!

That is so wrong on so many levels, I’m actually more shocked by this than by trump’s behaviour (which was totally predictable... well, he’s been screaming so much about it for 6 months, you’d have to be living in a dung heap in a hole in a cave to have missed it).
  11. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    17 Nov '20 05:262 edits
    @metal-brain said
    Pardon me for asking, but - If Donald J Trump is the successful multi billionaire businessman he claims to be, then why does he need contributions to a legal fund? I don't see Michael Bloomberg, Bill Gates, or Warren Buffett shaking their tin cups, soliciting dollars to pay their lawyers. A few million bucks to finance a state recount or pay his own legal bills would be petty cash for most rich people.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Nov '20 05:58
    @shavixmir said
    Now, obviously my humor-bone is dying for trump to be president and this drama to unfold slowly for the next 4 years...

Equally obviously, my rationality-bone says the world is a better place without right-wing scum running it. And a much better place without trump and his cronies...

But this being said... I read this on the BBC too: trump has to pay 8m dollars for a ...[text shortened]... bout it for 6 months, you’d have to be living in a dung heap in a hole in a cave to have missed it).
    Wisconsin law is as follows:

"Who pays for a requested recount?
    Varies. The state pays for recounts where the margin is less than 10 votes if 4,000 or fewer votes are cast. For elections where more than 4,000 votes are cast, the margin is less than or equal to 0.25% of the total vote. If the margin is greater than those covered by the state, the requester pays.
    Is a refund available for requested recount costs?
    Yes. Costs paid by the requester are refunded if the recount changes the election outcome. In the event that a recount does not change the election outcome, a requester might receive a refund if the amount paid was greater than the actual cost of the recount."

https://ballotpedia.org/Recount_laws_in_Wisconsin

It seems eminently reasonable to me that the taxpayers not be saddled with the cost of a recount if the result is not sufficiently close. Trump lost Wisconsin by a bit more than .6% so he has to pay for the recount if he requests it.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Nov '20 06:02
    @mchill said
    Pardon me for asking, but - If Donald J Trump is the successful multi billionaire businessman he claims to be, then why does he need contributions to a legal fund? I don't see Michael Bloomberg, Bill Gates, or Warren Buffett shaking their tin cups, soliciting dollars to pay their lawyers. A few million bucks to finance a state recount or pay his own legal bills would be petty cash for most rich people.
    "If God did not want them sheared, He would not have made them sheep."

Calvera
  14. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Nov '20 17:09
    @no1marauder said
    Wisconsin law is as follows:

"Who pays for a requested recount?
    Varies. The state pays for recounts where the margin is less than 10 votes if 4,000 or fewer votes are cast. For elections where more than 4,000 votes are cast, the margin is less than or equal to 0.25% of the total vote. If the margin is greater than those covered by the state, the requester pays.
    Is a ...[text shortened]... ose. Trump lost Wisconsin by a bit more than .6% so he has to pay for the recount if he requests it.
    My point is: there shouldn’t be a recount if it’s above a certain margin.

And if it is a possibility it shouldn’t be hung up on one’s finances.
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    18 Nov '20 00:49
    @mchill said
    I wonder the same thing. That is why I suspect a scam.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree