1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 22:30
    @wildgrass said
    That's not out of context at all. Some people DID want to hold him accountable for his dangerous rhetoric. Articles of impeachment were introduced in 2017 for the incitement of hatred and hostility. He's been stoking the fire for years and lots of people wanted to punish him for that.
    What is your source of information?
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 22:40
    @metal-brain said
    Trump didn't call for the counting of the Electoral votes by Congress to be disrupted a mob. He never called for a mob. he called for a peaceful protest.

You have to prove he called for violent acts.
    No, he never called for a "peaceful protest".
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 22:42
    @metal-brain said
    You've got to fight like hell or you won't have Medicare for all.

People use the word fight all the time. It is not always used to imply a literal fight. Do you think I meant beat people up to get Medicare for all?
    If people who listened to you marched down to the Capitol 5 minutes afterward and beat up police officers, broke into a federal building and attempted to attack members of Congress likely to vote in a way you didn't like, you might well be guilty of "incitement".
  4. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 22:44
    @no1marauder said
    "..... and disqualification to hold any office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States....."

US Constitution, Article I, Section 3.
    So this is an effort to keep him from being able to run in 2024?
    Does that mean democrats are afraid democracy will allow for him to win in 2024?

Democrats don't trust democracy, right? They have to prevent him from being part of the democratic process. Too many people like Trump.
  5. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 22:45
    @no1marauder said
    No, he never called for a "peaceful protest".
    He didn't call for a violent one either.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 22:46
    @metal-brain said
    You are taking my quote out of context. Here is the rest.

Nobody wanted to hold Trump accountable for his vague statements until it resulted in violence.

Is inciting violence only punishable if it results in violence? Can people incite violence with impunity until violence actually happens?
    Your question was answered by the SCOTUS when it formulated the Brandenburg test already given:

"Generally, incendiary speech cannot be punished unless "the speech is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and it is likely to incite or produce such action." https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/brandenburg_test

Was the speech directed to produce imminent lawless action?

Was it likely to do so?

Speech must be seen in its actual context before a determination under the Brandenburg test is made. What Trump said, where he said it and who he said it to are all relevant.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 22:47
    @no1marauder said
    If people who listened to you marched down to the Capitol 5 minutes afterward and beat up police officers, broke into a federal building and attempted to attack members of Congress likely to vote in a way you didn't like, you might well be guilty of "incitement".
    But I meant fight figuratively. I didn't mean beat someone up.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 22:49
    @no1marauder said
    Your question was answered by the SCOTUS when it formulated the Brandenburg test already given:

"Generally, incendiary speech cannot be punished unless "the speech is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and it is likely to incite or produce such action." https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/brandenburg_test

Was the speech directed to produce ...[text shortened]... ndenburg[/i] test is made. What Trump said, where he said it and who he said it to are all relevant.
    He didn't call for lawless actions. He is the self proclaimed law and order president, remember? 😆
  9. Joined
    20 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 22:49
    @metal-brain said
    What is your source of information?
    www.congress.gov
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 22:53
    @metal-brain said
    So this is an effort to keep him from being able to run in 2024?
    Does that mean democrats are afraid democracy will allow for him to win in 2024?

Democrats don't trust democracy, right? They have to prevent him from being part of the democratic process. Too many people like Trump.
    That's almost funny coming from a supporter of rioting because Trump lost the election.

Assume that Trump is guilty of what he is charged with i.e. inciting a violent assault on Congress to prevent them from certifying his defeat in the Presidential election.

Why in God's name should he be allowed to run for that office AGAIN?
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 22:57
    @wildgrass said
    www.congress.gov
    Got a specific page?
    I don't recall Trump calling for violence.
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 22:59
    @no1marauder said
    That's almost funny coming from a supporter of rioting because Trump lost the election.

Assume that Trump is guilty of what he is charged with i.e. inciting a violent assault on Congress to prevent them from certifying his defeat in the Presidential election.

Why in God's name should he be allowed to run for that office AGAIN?
    Why should I assume he is guilty?
    He didn't tell people to be lawless.

Antifa started the violence anyway. They are not even Trump followers, they are his enemies.
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 23:02
    @metal-brain said
    He didn't call for lawless actions. He is the self proclaimed law and order president, remember? 😆
    Lol and he’d never lie let a jury decide like they do with every suspected criminal. If he hasn’t done anything wrong then he ain’t got nothing to worry about.
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 23:04
    @metal-brain said

Antifa started the violence anyway. They are not even Trump followers, they are his enemies.
    “ Antifa started the violence anyway. ”
    Liar
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    12 Jan '21 23:13
    @metal-brain said

Because you are complaining about the punishment he would receive IF he is found guilty.

Jesus, a nut conspiracy theory from you; who would have guessed?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree