1. Joined
    23 Feb '22
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 22:37
    Do you think China is hesitant to try it after seeing the problems Putin is having in the Ukraine?
    Everybody thought that Russia would overwhelm Ukraine in less than a month, and Putin's generals must have been worried about keeping their heads after it turned into a black hole of lost lives and equipment.
    I think China would be smarter about it thought, and a dinky island is not the Ukraine.
    I'm guessing they'll go for it when they think the time is right.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    28 Sep '22 23:39
    Putin didn't anticipate the West giving their military power to Ukraine. Russia did not underestimate Ukraine; if this was a one-on-one fight all of Ukraine would be like Crimea.

The example China might take away from Russia is that western aid will make an otherwise quick invasion vastly more difficult.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Sep '22 08:57
    @jj-adams said
    Do you think China is hesitant to try it after seeing the problems Putin is having in the Ukraine?
    Everybody thought that Russia would overwhelm Ukraine in less than a month, and Putin's generals must have been worried about keeping their heads after it turned into a black hole of lost lives and equipment.
    I think China would be smarter about it thought, and a dinky island is not the Ukraine.
    I'm guessing they'll go for it when they think the time is right.
    An island can be blockaded by sea. The US would not be able to smuggle in weapons like they can Ukraine.
  4. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    30 Sep '22 15:291 edit
    @metal-brain said
    An island can be blockaded by sea. The US would not be able to smuggle in weapons like they can Ukraine.
    Lol smuggle? They are coming in by the truck and train load as for Taiwan it will depend how far the US wants to go with it. Have you heard about aeroplanes apparently you can drop stuff from them or just land at an airport and unload them.
  5. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    30 Sep '22 15:31
    @vivify said
    Putin didn't anticipate the West giving their military power to Ukraine. Russia did not underestimate Ukraine; if this was a one-on-one fight all of Ukraine would be like Crimea.

The example China might take away from Russia is that western aid will make an otherwise quick invasion vastly more difficult.
    He’s really stupid then huh given all the warnings the west gave leading up to the invasion. Perhaps he’ll pay more attention now.
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Oct '22 06:09
    @kevcvs57 said
    Lol smuggle? They are coming in by the truck and train load as for Taiwan it will depend how far the US wants to go with it. Have you heard about aeroplanes apparently you can drop stuff from them or just land at an airport and unload them.
    That just proves my point. Trucks and trains cannot go over the sea.
    You don't think China can shoot down planes? You are a joke.
  7. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    01 Oct '22 19:17
    @metal-brain said
    That just proves my point. Trucks and trains cannot go over the sea.
    You don't think China can shoot down planes? You are a joke.
    China can't shoot down planes out of the sky **from the sea**. Even their best SAMs
    (HQ-9) would not fair well against America's stealth aircraft.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '22 00:52
    @earl-of-trumps said
    China can't shoot down planes out of the sky **from the sea**. Even their best SAMs
    (HQ-9) would not fair well against America's stealth aircraft.
    The Taiwan Relations Act does not allow direct military intervention, so you are talking about the USA going to war with China, a nuclear power. Do you think that is wise?
  9. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    04 Oct '22 04:181 edit
    @metal-brain said
    The Taiwan Relations Act does not allow direct military intervention, so you are talking about the USA going to war with China, a nuclear power. Do you think that is wise?
    I'll clarify.

What I mean is, if China surrounds Tawain with military ships, the US would still be able to fly crafts into Tawain
    without much worry about being taken out of the sky by China's defenses.

There is concern that China is a Nuke power, yes, but they are not crazy like Putin.
  10. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    04 Oct '22 05:341 edit
    @earl-of-trumps said
    I'll clarify.

What I mean is, if China surrounds Tawain with military ships, the US would still be able to fly crafts into Tawain
    without much worry about being taken out of the sky by China's defenses.

There is concern that China is a Nuke power, yes, but they are not crazy like Putin.
    Putin is not crazy. Playing the nuke card makes perfect sense. If he doesn't all of his nukes are worthless. American presidents have been threatening other nations with nukes since Truman. Bill Clinton threatened the DPRK with nukes. If Putin is crazy Bill and the rest are crazy too.

Stealth aircraft can still be seen. If you can see it, you can shoot it down. Radar is not useless either.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/chinese-scientists-develop-anti-stealth-radar-so-small-it-could-be-mistaken-for-rooftop-clothes-rack-research-paper-says/ar-AA10HYpi

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree