1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 07:072 edits
    @shavixmir said
    I don’t know if you’ve noticed lately, but outside the EU is a passport and control driven nightmare with crappy architecture and worse food.

Obviously the EU has its fair share of problems: Poland, Hungary, the English.

But in general we work less hours a week, have longer holidays, have the Alps, the best food, greatest buildings and Incan drive for days upon days through various countries without drawing a passport and collecting corona wherever I wish.
    Work conditions in the UK have been worsening for a decade irrespective of our EU membership. Thankfully we still have a strong employment law but I feel this will be heavily challenged (in all EU counties btw) in the wake of the economic carnage falling out from Covid. Brexit really is the least of anyone’s potential problems for the next few years.

[Edit: have you seen the anti lockdown riots in France and Italy? That’s just the beginning. And where is the EU voice in all this upheaval ? silent as usual. )

Holidays...we will never slip into the appalling US conditions of two weeks a year, ain’t gonna happen no matter how much you hope it will. I would campaign for a minimum of 4 weeks paid for every employee, including contractors with the option to buy or sell up to a further two weeks.

But anyway to the specifics in your post, I like specifics...

This might come as a shock to you but the EU doesn’t own the historical buildings in Europe, the independent nations do. But it is creepily interesting that you imply that they don’t.

The EU is finished in its current format at least. Junker was an utter joke. A sexist, lying unelected (by the populous) gravy train riding autocrat. A pig who gorged himself. The EU is full of these types. I despise its undemocratic bloatedness with an unquenchable loathing and I will piss on its ashes when it finally burns to the ground.

Drive from country to country without getting your passport out...well ring a fuking ding and Coo coo ka choo. I guess we should all just bend over and hand over our sovereignty.

Fuk those passport controls, evil asholes.
  2. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 07:20
    @shavixmir said
    I don’t know if you’ve noticed lately, but outside the EU is a passport and control driven nightmare with crappy architecture and worse food.

But in general we work less hours a week, have longer holidays, have the Alps, the best food, greatest buildings and Incan drive for days upon days through various countries without drawing a passport and collecting corona wherever I wish.
    Yeah apart from the passport thing and easy access to the Corona virus nothing on your list has diddly squat to do with eu membership and i speak as a tear stained remoaner.
    Plus I think ghost is right there will be a deal containing the bare bones of what business requires on both sides of the channel.
  3. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 10:23
    @kevcvs57 said
    Yeah apart from the passport thing and easy access to the Corona virus nothing on your list has diddly squat to do with eu membership and i speak as a tear stained remoaner.
    Working less hours and having longer holidays surely does have something to do with EU membership, since it is legally mandated by Directive 2003/88/EC.

Needless to say, the initial 1993 version of that directive was angrily denounced by our then employment secretary, David Hunt:

"It is a flagrant abuse of Community rules. It has been brought forward as such simply to allow majority voting – a ploy to smuggle through part of the Social Chapter by the back door. The UK strongly opposes any attempt to tell people that they can no longer work the hours they want."
  4. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 10:41
    @teinosuke said
    Working less hours and having longer holidays surely does have something to do with EU membership, since it is legally mandated by Directive 2003/88/EC.

Needless to say, the initial 1993 version of that directive was angrily denounced by our then employment secretary, David Hunt:

"It is a flagrant abuse of Community rules. It has been brought forward as such simply to ...[text shortened]... he UK strongly opposes any attempt to tell people that they can no longer work the hours they want."
    Are we going to pretend that all the eu members follow these rules. There is an opt out from the European working hours directive that your employer can give you the ‘option’ of exercising.
    People all over Europe opt out because they need the extra hours to survive. Until the EU enforces a ‘living’ wage on all employers in all its member states it’s no more than a feel good paper exercise. As for holidays I work for one of the meaner multinationals and I get 28days. I don’t know what EU member states are required to give their workers but that’s about average for the uk and we’ve been in the eu for quite a while now.
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 12:46
    @kevcvs57 said
    Plus I think ghost is right there will be a deal containing the bare bones of what business requires on both sides of the channel.
    It will indeed be a deal that nobody is entirely happy with, but a deal all the same.

The EU will make its biggest compromise in regards to fisheries (once it wakes up and smells lobster).
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 15:25
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    It will indeed be a deal that nobody is entirely happy with, but a deal all the same.

The EU will make its biggest compromise in regards to fisheries (once it wakes up and smells lobster).
    Oh oh herring we go again
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 16:15
    @kevcvs57 said
    Oh oh herring we go again
    I said it for the sheer halibut.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 16:15
    @shavixmir said

reposting a 12 rated version of my post at the top of the page because 2 snowflakes alerted it.

Work conditions in the UK have been worsening for a decade irrespective of our EU membership. Thankfully we still have a strong employment law but I feel this will be heavily challenged (in all EU counties btw) in the wake of the economic carnage falling out from Covid. Brexit really is the least of anyone’s potential problems for the next few years.

[Edit: have you seen the anti lockdown riots in France and Italy? That’s just the beginning. And where is the EU voice in all this upheaval ? silent as usual. )

Holidays...we will never slip into the appalling US conditions of two weeks a year, ain’t gonna happen no matter how much you hope it will. I would campaign for a minimum of 4 weeks paid for every employee, including contractors with the option to buy or sell up to a further two weeks.

But anyway to the specifics in your post, I like specifics...

This might come as a shock to you but the EU doesn’t own the historical buildings in Europe, the independent nations do. But it is creepily interesting that you imply that they don’t.

The EU is finished in its current format at least. Junker was an utter joke. A sexist, lying unelected (by the populous) gravy train riding autocrat. A pig who gorged himself. The EU is full of these types. I despise its undemocratic bloatedness with an unquenchable loathing and I will stamp on its ashes when it finally burns to the ground.

Drive from country to country without getting your passport out...well ring a fuking ding and Coo coo ka choo. I guess we should all just bend over and hand over our sovereignty.

Damn those passport controls, evil people.
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 18:27
    @divegeester said
    reposting a 12 rated version of my post at the top of the page because 2 snowflakes alerted it.
    Again, you triggered the auto mod.

Learn.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 19:082 edits
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Again, you triggered the auto mod.

Learn.
    No I didn’t, my post was not alerted for several hours.

Learn to relax into your new profile here old chap, Sir, have a tea cake, stay well, and all that other passive aggressive BS you come out with.

Edit; also it was alerted TWICE!
  11. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 19:37
    @divegeester said

[Edit: have you s ...[text shortened]... uld all just bend over and hand over our sovereignty.

Fuk those passport controls, evil asholes.
    Sovereignty... the false dream of the right-wingtard who doesn’t realise he’s nothing but an asset in a global market run by corporations.

Wake up sunshine.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    29 Oct '20 20:18
    @shavixmir said
    Sovereignty... the false dream of the right-wingtard who doesn’t realise he’s nothing but an asset in a global market run by corporations.

Wake up sunshine.
    I don’t think it’s that bad...yet.
  13. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Oct '20 04:20
    Have the English left yet?

Oh. Sort of.
    Yeah. It looks like January’s gonna be a right old hoot.

What with Covid, starving children being denied food by tories and the only signed trade deal being with Japan... which forces Britain to adopt a no state aid stance...

And this is one of the brexit negotiation sticking points... the Tories say they want the freedom to hand out state aid and the EU says no... funnily enough, the Tories were the party that convinced the EU to adopt the no state aid stance in the first place...

And now the deal with Japan forces them into exactly that which they find offensive in the EU...
    And in the EU the trade deal with Japan was better...

Yeah, January’s looking just grand.
  14. Green Boots Cave
    Moves
    30 Oct '20 13:10
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Psst, there will be a deal in the dying seconds.

Keep it under your hat.
    I will post the link again.

Essential post-Brexit freight software is unlikely to be ready on time for 1 January, those building it have warned.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54706263

This technology is essential to manage freight if there IS a deal. And it won't be ready in time.

I really hope you are right and there will be a deal of sorts as I have family and many friends in the UK.
  15. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Oct '20 13:39
    @biffo-konker said
    I will post the link again.

Essential post-Brexit freight software is unlikely to be ready on time for 1 January, those building it have warned.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-54706263

This technology is essential to manage freight if there IS a deal. And it won't be ready in time.

I really hope you are right and there will be a deal of sorts as I have family and many friends in the UK.
    I think, when it comes down to it, both sides 'need' a deal.

It is this shared basic need that will translate into some last minute agreement.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree