Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 May '19 21:30
    www.studyfinds.org/anger-more-harmful-than-sadness-study/

I heard a similar thing about baboons on pbs. The show made the comment that the dominant male baboon would live a much shorter life due to the agression he constantly shows. I quit coaching football shortly after.

Perhaps this forum is bad for our health.
  2. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    13 May '19 21:511 edit
    @eladar said
    www.studyfinds.org/anger-more-harmful-than-sadness-study/

I heard a similar thing about baboons on pbs. The show made the comment that the dominant male baboon would live a much shorter life due to the agression he constantly shows. I quit coaching football shortly after.

Perhaps this forum is bad for our health.
    I would imagine it depends on the severity in either case, but as someone diagnosed with high blood pressure I won’t be coaching any football teams either.
    Oh I meant to say I just walk away from any thread that causes feelings of anger or stress. And they are nearly always in the debates forum.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    13 May '19 22:231 edit
    "Anger worse than depression"

Makes sense. Anger turned inward causes depression.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    13 May '19 22:311 edit
    @vivify

Did you bother to read the link? It says being angry is worse than turning it inward.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    14 May '19 02:55
    @eladar said
    @vivify

Did you bother to read the link? It says being angry is worse than turning it inward.
    Where does it say that?
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 May '19 21:201 edit
    @vivify

Maybe you are not bright enough to understand the connection.

I think that perhaps chess is not good for my health. The anger response to the frustration at playing stupid moves or simply losing causes me more anger than anything else in my life.

Everything else I have resolved one way or the other.

Combine that with a few of the people on this board and you can account for a vast majority of my anger response.
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 May '19 01:331 edit
    @eladar said
    @vivify

But WHERE in your link does it say what you claimed? Did *you* read the link?
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 May '19 01:35
    @vivify

You are the one that said depression is caused by anger not me. The link says anger is worse than depression.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    16 May '19 01:58
    @eladar said
    @vivify

You are the one that said depression is caused by anger not me. The link says anger is worse than depression.
    No, it says anger is worse than sadness. Sadness is not the same as depression.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 May '19 02:01
    @vivify

Depression causes sadness. It is a symptom of depression.
  11. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    16 May '19 08:08
    @eladar said
    @vivify

Maybe you are not bright enough to understand the connection.

I think that perhaps chess is not good for my health. The anger response to the frustration at playing stupid moves or simply losing causes me more anger than anything else in my life.

Everything else I have resolved one way or the other.

Combine that with a few of the people on this board and you can account for a vast majority of my anger response.
    Internet forums or games of chess shouldn't induce anger.

If that's what's happening, find something else to occupy yourself.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 May '19 10:481 edit
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

Perhaps they do not for you but different people react differently in different situations.

Let me guess you were never an athlere and never competed in competitions at any level, let alone what in the US would be university level competition.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    16 May '19 11:001 edit
    @eladar said
    @vivify

Did you read the link? Really this isn't what the study revealed at all. The website copied the article from here [1], where there is a link to the original paper [2]. The study population was 226 adults between the ages of 59 and 93 in Montreal. So this is not life long anger, it is anger in people of retirement age. This sentence is relevant:
    “We found that experiencing anger daily was related to higher levels of inflammation and chronic illness for people 80 years old and older, but not for younger seniors,” says co-author Carsten Wrosch. “Sadness, on the other hand, was not related to inflammation or chronic illness.”
    Their results do not indicate that anger is more unhealthy than depression in the general population. They show that anger and chronic illness are correlated in people of very advanced age, so that anger is a predictor of chronic illness. The study does not indicate direction of causation. So does being angry make you ill or being ill make you angry?

[1] https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2019/05/anger-harmful-older-adults
    [2] https://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/releases/pag-pag0000348.pdf
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Moves
    16 May '19 11:04
    @eladar said
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

Let me guess you were never an athlere and never competed in competitions at any level, let alone what in the US would be university level competition.
    You guess incorrectly.

Not for the first time.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 May '19 11:211 edit
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

Tell me what sports you competed in, as well as the level.