1. Garner, NC
    Moves
    14 May '22 19:48
    @jimm619 said
    You brought up HUGO CHAVEZ, who truly,
    had nothing, whatever to do with this subject.
    We were talking about inflation.

It seems quite reasonable to consider and discuss the pattern as it has unfolded in other places at other times.

Is it your contention that as we deal with inflation we should avoid considering how it has played out in other places?

You're not a scholar are you?
  2. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    14 May '22 19:52
    @mghrn55 said
    It would be $200 in England. Quit whining !!
    I believe here in Canada we are up over the $200 dollar mark. Here in Halifax, Nova Scotia we are right at the $200 mark now. I drive a Van which Holds a little over 200 liters so would cost me a bit over $200.00 dollars to fill the tank I only let it get down to about half and fill the tank and I am looking at a bit over $100.00 at $200 a liter. Many are looking for other means of transportation or driving less.

-VR
  3. Garner, NC
    Moves
    14 May '22 20:001 edit
    @suzianne said
    So blaming corporations is scapegoating when you vote for a party who gets kickbacks for corporate tax cuts. And so you scapegoat the government because you vote for the out-of-power party.

Do I have that about right?
    You speak of corporations as if they were a ubiquitous mass. There are more than 10 million corporations in the US, depending on what you count as a corporation. I, myself, am a partial owner of one (quite small). Trust me, my corporation is not getting kick backs in any way from the government and is not donating even a cent to a politician.

So if your analysis can get no more astute than to treat "corporations" as a single, ubiquitous entity, then I'm probably going to have to stop short of giving your assessment a full throated endorsement.

Still, to whatever corporation is giving kick backs to politicians, I agree. To the extent that is happening, the politician involved is always culpable. If a politician is abusing his power to assist a corporation or a set of corporations, that in no way can be used to support premise that "corporations" as a group are bad.

I am not a well connected person so I am not in the know for any back room deals, but it is my opinion that democrats are making secret deals with corporations at least as much as republicans.

Nevertheless, my original point stands unchallenged by your side comment. The politicians bringing on inflation never see themselves to blame and always blame industry (and recall that whether they're corrupt with corporations or just on their own, a corrupt politician, if he is corrupt, is always culpable).

Corporations may be greedy, but somehow McDonalds still has a dollar menu. They'd charge $10 for the same items if they could make more money that way.
  4. Joined
    23 Feb '22
    Moves
    14 May '22 21:543 edits
    @very-rusty said
    I believe here in Canada we are up over the $200 dollar mark. Here in Halifax, Nova Scotia we are right at the $200 mark now. I drive a Van which Holds a little over 200 liters so would cost me a bit over $200.00 dollars to fill the tank I only let it get down to about half and fill the tank and I am looking at a bit over $100.00 at $200 a liter. Many are looking for other means of transportation or driving less.

-VR
    Canadian dollars or US dollars?
    200 liters for $200 is just at $4 a gallon, a bit less than in the US.....but I don't know about after the US/Canuck currency conversion.
  5. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    14 May '22 22:59
    @earl-of-trumps said
    I bring up Trump because he usually gets blamed. lol. I was just getting a jump on it
    Is that what we call ,
    a 'preemptive post,' EARL? 😆
  6. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    14 May '22 23:36
    @techsouth said
    We were talking about inflation.

It seems quite reasonable to consider and discuss the pattern as it has unfolded in other places at other times.

Is it your contention that as we deal with inflation we should avoid considering how it has played out in other places?

You're not a scholar are you?
    Well, historically, 70's Argentina or
    post WWI Germany would have been far
    better examples of rampant inflation.
    This inflation rate, we are now experiencing,
    is the highest rate since 1981, when Reagan was president.
    How did you know that I majored in History?
    History, however, is not economics.
  7. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    15 May '22 01:39
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    I'm sure it's a horror story but your figures don't match up.
    You say 200 liters to fill tank would cost about C$200, or about a dollar a liter.
    Then further on, you say "$200 a liter" - do you mean C$2.00? It don't match up but no big deal.
  8. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    15 May '22 01:55
    @jimm619 says -

My goodness, how did 21st century Venezuela get by you?
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 May '22 15:14
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Well, your badness - you do realise that that was intentionally created by the neo-con USA, don't you? Not Venezuela's own fault, it wasn't done by them, it was done to them by Reagan and his successors.
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 May '22 06:57
    @jj-adams said
    Thanks, Biden.
    And now there is a gas price gouging bill, just barely passed the House. All Republicans voted against it, because if price gouging becomes illegal, what else shall they use to criticise the government?

Thanks... Biden, I guess?
  11. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    20 May '22 14:01
    @shallow-blue said
    And now there is a gas price gouging bill, just barely passed the House. All Republicans voted against it, because if price gouging becomes illegal, what else shall they use to criticise the government?

Thanks... Biden, I guess?
    Inflation?....Sure.
    RECORD BIG OIL PROFITS.......Very sure
  12. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    20 May '22 15:36
    @earl-of-trumps said
    @jimm619 says -

because he is a lib idiot
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 May '22 17:08
    @AThousandYoung
    You didn't know it is a motorcycle with a huge tank so he can go across the country without refueling?
  14. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 May '22 19:02
    @jj-adams said
    Less than $50 a tank for a dinky hybrid gas/electric clown car.
    I'm glad for you.
    Does it have air conditioning?
    So you can see how someone with a normal 4 door sedan could pay twice that, right?
    Oh yeah it has great AC. Also it can drive silently for stealth should you ever need such a thing.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 May '22 19:02
    @sonhouse said
    @AThousandYoung
    You didn't know it is a motorcycle with a huge tank so he can go across the country without refueling?
    Sounds like a water heater on wheels

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree