1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 18:47
    I'm no doubt showing my age, but this is a timeless masterpiece played to perfection. I'm shocked this building in only 2% full. I would have paid money to hear this live.

YouTube&list=RDQJVQclPxsJ4&start_radio=1
  2. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    03 Aug '18 19:28
    Originally posted by @mchill
    I'm no doubt showing my age, but this is a timeless masterpiece played to perfection. I'm shocked this building in only 2% full. I would have paid money to hear this live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJVQclPxsJ4&list=RDQJVQclPxsJ4&start_radio=1
    Yes, I agree. That was eternal.
    A beautifully rendered perfection.

The setting was intimate. I found its rusticity wholly appropriate and satisfying. I would have enjoyed being there too. 🙂
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 04:182 edits

Written by Nino Rota who won an Oscar for the music to Godfather II. Great composer, died in 1979.

Another great timeless masterpiece, Air on a G string: J S Bach.

YouTube
  4. SubscriberPianoman1
    Nil desperandum
    Seedy piano bar
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 14:10

Excellent interpretation. Two players at one with the music. Whether the music would have been as memorable without seeing the film is debatable. The music for “The Godfather”, “Titanic”, “Dances with Wolves”, “Out of Africa”, “Lord of the Rings” etc. is all so intimately involved with the films that I find it almost impossible to listen to it without empathising with the film. Does this make it great music? Debatable. Whereas “Death in Venice”, “2001,a Space Odyssy”, “Brief Encounter”, “A Clockwork Orange” etc. all use music not especially written for the films. The music for these is unquestionably great.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    04 Aug '18 15:12
    In a similar vein:

YouTube

Mozart - Piano concerto No 21, theme to Elvira Madigan
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Aug '18 21:272 edits
    Another probably totally unknown masterpiece for a composer named Joaquim Malats, Saranada Espanola played by the great Pepe Romero: He is speaking Spanish here introducing the piece but the music is magical. The music starts around 2:30 into it.Total about 6 minutes.

YouTube
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Aug '18 10:48
    Originally posted by @pianoman1
    Excellent interpretation. Two players at one with the music. Whether the music would have been as memorable without seeing the film is debatable. The music for “The Godfather”, “Titanic”, “Dances with Wolves”, “Out of Africa”, “Lord of the Rings” etc. is all so intimately involved with the films that I find it almost impossible to listen to it without emp ...[text shortened]... all use music not especially written for the films. The music for these is unquestionably great.
    I agree. Truly great music stands entirely on its own without need for visuals to make it "more visceral".
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Aug '18 11:07

This score is truly beautiful.

As it turns out, I have actually played this piece on piano and on flute. While not exceptionally technical, the tune is familiar to most, it is exceedingly emotive, and this performance looks like it's in a cathedral and the venue is everything. Buildings like this lend beautiful tone to most music.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Aug '18 14:29
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    This score is truly beautiful.

As it turns out, I have actually played this piece on piano and on flute. While not exceptionally technical, the tune is familiar to most, it is exceedingly emotive, and this performance looks like it's in a cathedral and the venue is everything. Buildings like this lend beautiful tone to most music.
    I would have liked to have heard you play that piece.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Sep '18 14:311 edit
    Here is a Russian folk music video, the still photos are great!

YouTube

Doesn't seem to work, but here is another Gypsy band, nice music!

YouTube
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Nov '18 04:30
    @sonhouse
    Compay Segundo playing the timeless "Chan Chan".
    Note he is playing an 8 string guitar and not his
    usual 7-string (armonico) which he invented.

YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree