1. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    12 May '19 22:211 edit
    I was not keen on the idea of subscribing to CBS just to watch this new show, but am really enjoying it now. (I think outside the US it might be on Netflix in some countries -- not sure.)

The crises, pseudoscience, and melodrama are all a little extreme at times, but the show really begins to groove in the second season and feels most like OST to me.

Excellent cast with many great choices, and Michelle Yeoh's performance is a savory delight every time she is on-screen.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 May '19 07:26
    @caesar-salad said
    I was not keen on the idea of subscribing to CBS just to watch this new show, but am really enjoying it now. (I think outside the US it might be on Netflix in some countries -- not sure.)

The crises, pseudoscience, and melodrama are all a little extreme at times, but the show really begins to groove in the second season and feels most like OST to me.

Excellent cas ...[text shortened]... many great choices, and Michelle Yeoh's performance is a savory delight every time she is on-screen.
    Is this still only on CBS All Access?

Not finding it on any of my normal streaming sites.
  3. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    13 May '19 07:43
    @suzianne said
    Is this still only on CBS All Access?

Not finding it on any of my normal streaming sites.
    I think that is still the case in the US.
  4. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    17 May '19 01:52
    Now that I have seen both seasons (so far) I see that I probably should not have over-emphasized Ms. Yeoh's role (as much as I enjoyed it) -- there are many fine performances and delightful interactions throughout.

There is also still a certain dose of treacly gravitas, but it's generally a very enjoyable and well-done Star Trek (for one thing, nowhere near as boring as some other attempts).

For many I think it would be worth the US$10 or $20 to watch the 28 or so episodes.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 May '19 08:38
    @caesar-salad said
    Now that I have seen both seasons (so far) I see that I probably should not have over-emphasized Ms. Yeoh's role (as much as I enjoyed it) -- there are many fine performances and delightful interactions throughout.

There is also still a certain dose of treacly gravitas, but it's generally a very enjoyable and well-done Star Trek (for one thing, nowhere near as borin ...[text shortened]... attempts).

For many I think it would be worth the US$10 or $20 to watch the 28 or so episodes.
    What did you think of Star Trek: Enterprise? I think it's on Netflix but haven't watched it, not sure if I could handle it being horrible.
  6. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    17 May '19 19:21
    @suzianne said
    What did you think of Star Trek: Enterprise? I think it's on Netflix but haven't watched it, not sure if I could handle it being horrible.
    I only saw a few episodes of ST: Enterprise during the first season when it was being broadcast. It's the next Trek series on my list to watch. I kind of liked it, but some episodes were slow-paced, and there was one episode I hated in the first season where they visit some primitive cave people. But I'll give it another chance someday.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 May '19 21:09
    @suzianne said
    Its one of my favorite Star Trek series, I agree the cast was well put together and the 2nd season is better than the first and I liked the first a lot.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    19 May '19 21:10
    @caesar-salad said
    I only saw a few episodes of ST: Enterprise during the first season when it was being broadcast. It's the next Trek series on my list to watch. I kind of liked it, but some episodes were slow-paced, and there was one episode I hated in the first season where they visit some primitive cave people. But I'll give it another chance someday.
    The borg episode are very well done at the end of one season and the start of the next was well done. I can't recall of the top of my head what seasons they were.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 May '19 01:47
    @kellyjay said
    The borg episode are very well done at the end of one season and the start of the next was well done. I can't recall of the top of my head what seasons they were.
    But this series takes place before Star Trek: ToS, right? I mean before Kirk and those guys, right?

Surprised they did a Borg episode that takes place that far back in the timeline.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 May '19 01:51
    @caesar-salad said

There is also still a certain dose of treacly gravitas, but it's generally a very enjoyable and well-done Star Trek (for one thing, nowhere near as borin ...[text shortened]... attempts).

Yeah, I might do it. It's on Amazon Prime, but not free.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 May '19 22:15
    @Suzianne

ST:Enterprise was vapid. Discovery is light years better.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    23 May '19 23:31
    @moonbus said
    @Suzianne

ST:Enterprise was vapid. Discovery is light years better.
    Yeah, I never did like Scott Bakula. Might have to take a look at a few though just to see.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    24 May '19 07:244 edits
    @suzianne said
    Yeah, I never did like Scott Bakula. Might have to take a look at a few though just to see.
    I'm sure he's a fine actor, but somehow the group dynamic never gelled in Enterprise.

The original series broached racism, the VietNam war, the haves and the have-nots, all kinds of important topical issues of the time which other tvs shows in the 60s wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole. The writers for Enterprise were too timid. Discovery is taking up topical issues again, 'weaponizing' other life forms, 'do political ends justify any technical means', same-gender relationships, etc.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree